Sunday, June 17, 2012

Father's Day...

Early this morning, I received a call from my son, JWee wishing me a blessed Father's Day. In the midst of my drowsiness of the early morning ( I don't quite like mornings but the biological clock in the head seemed to malfunction this morning! ), I took a few minutes to adjust to the sleeping effects. It was a nice way to start the day ,actually - getting wishes from your children on an auspicious day like this. When it all seemed to settled down, I was wide awake and filled with a sense of fulfilment. I guess, in many ways, fathers around the world would be glad to receive such greetings from their children,right? I thank God that I must have done something right after all these years. Yunno, as parents, you will never know how your life would affect your children and like any other parents, we try to do our very best for our children. Yeah, it is never easy to express what you actually feel inside but for me, I just pray that they would turn out alright and always be grounded in the firm foundation of God. I guess, in many ways, I really wish that my children would always rely on the sure thing- GOD for their every day needs and supplements. For me, I just hoped that they have learnt some fine pointers in life. 

I am also glad that I had attended service that morning with the family and it was the first time I felt fulfilled in such a long time. I guess, in many ways, simple messages presented in a good manner can be an well-oiled lubricant to the ailing heart. The message of the day was crystal clear, methodically systematic and compact. Elder Wong F.M.had shared a well-oiled message and I have been blessed by the message. Even Elder Chua's announcement and short sharing was clear and precise especially on safety aspect of the family home and the reminder of sharing quality time with our parents. They beamed the caring reminders that had been lacking in our lives sometimes and hit the core of hearts. Anyway, being visitors, my family and I were blessed with lunch at the end of the service and a gift for Father's Day celebrations.  I was looking forward to the warm fellowship and the spirit of the heart.  We also met up with many friends and shared some lighter moments after service. It was good to be able to chat up with old friends and make new friends.

Turning back the clock a few hours earlier ( Saturday night ) , we had had a "Fatherless Day BBQ" [ SLing, Din and myself are fatherless! (tears  in our eyes!) ] celebrations at Din's place. It was kinda an impromptu celebrations which started from the living room of my place and ended up at the posh garden setting of Din's place. It ALL started when we saw the barbecuing of the monitor lizard as lunch by some bushmen in Australia on Nat Geo special and that was it! The ideas flowed as great thinkers and doers think alike! We were joined by Stef Sim who dropped by to sample my scones and she whacked like 3 scones with good dollop of strawberry jam on top of each and everyone of it! The moral of the story is simply that BBQ and spontaneous planning of a good meal can be done with great friends. The tau kees, the fishballs, the chicken wings marinated with terayaki sauce and garlic, lamb shoulder with teriyaki and mixed herbs ( Swear ! I did not even eat any of them! My heart is still pumping - thank God for that! ) , corn cobs, drinks, mee goreng and bee hoon goreng ( courtesy of Errol & Jessica ) seemed to be mighty fine celebrations. All in all, it was a time of great fellowship and sharing of thoughts. Stefanie Sim dropped by in the night after spending some quality time with her family for Father's Day dinner in a restaurant. She is a really thoughtful daughter and I remembered travelling back with her for Mother's Day celebrations not too long a go. Way to go, Stefanie Sim!
So, to all fathers , where ever you may be - HAPPY FATHER'S DAY and know that your tireless & selfless sacrifice, dedication and determination are appreciated not just on this one day but every day of your lives as you continue to be the pillar of strength for your family well-being ; spiritually, socially and financially. take good care of yourself and your family! GOD bless each and everyone of you!

No comments: