Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Children Church Mugshot!

On Sunday, I had the opportunity to teach the Sunday school children on the topic of money. Though it can be daunting and equally intimidating to teach these young ones as they can be quite witty, quirky and temperamental at times but I really find it a real challenge to help them in whatever way I could. So, I decided to teach them of the need to be not greedy for money and to the road of  blessing. 

Though it could be a real stretch to my already tight and strenuous life after an awesome night with the youths at CCC Y-Me Superhero Cafe Night, I was determined to do my best for the children. Upon arriving home after the youth event, I looked for the items I had prepared earlier , put them in a bag and making sure I did some reading of what I am going to teach the children the following morning. Honestly, after reading the scripture items I was supposed to teach and uploading pictures of the youth event on the FB page, I could not remember when I had drifted off to some far away land as I laid my head on the computer table.  I must say, sleep was mighty short but I was determine to teach something good to the children that morning. I was informed that I did not have much time to teach that morning as the rehearsal for the children's drama in lieu with the Children Church Christmas party was scheduled that day too. 
David Wong with his mugshot

So, that morning, as I asked the children to move to the other end of the hall, they seemed surprised and they waited in anticipation what I wanted to do. I then went to the opposite end of the hall and spread out the goodies I had in store for the children on the carpet flooring; spreading them out as far as possible. There were erasers, coins in all denominations , rulers, marbles and all the rest of the goodies. I then asked the children to turn around and they are given five second to grab what they wanted. What chaos it created! But what fun it was for the children. At the end of the 5 seconds, I asked them if they are satisfied with what they had. Some answered that they were satisfied while some just wished they had more time. When they answered that they are finally satisfied with what they had, I pulled out a whopper of other goodies and threw them into the spaces where the goodies were on the carpet. Immediately, their eyes lighted up and they all want to have a second chance at the goodies. When I told them that they had promised me earlier that they were "satisfied" with what they had, they seemed "shameful" and remorseful in a way. They are just so cute especially their guilty expressions and also, their easy ways. I am so thankful that they reacted that way.
Caitlin Kua with her mugshot....

I then took the opportunity to tell them of not to be greedy with the money they've had in their hands and also be thankful with what they have. It was also heartwarming to see that they understood what I have taught them. I also reinforced the lesson by telling them that all that we have belonged to the One Above. We should not take for granted that everything we have is ours as the Lord is the one who gives us what we have today and always be thankful. As they promised me that they would not be greedy with money, I pulled out a stack of mugshot forms for them to fill up and then took a picture of them. It was really wonderful fun for them and for me as I took their photographs to reinforce what they have promised. 

I am just thankful for the children's commitment. They looked so cute in their respective mugshot and I had the honor of taking their pictures. I just pray that they have learnt their lesson well while I am just thankful to the Lord for enabling me. Sometimes, I just don't know how I managed to get such things done but I do know where my strength comes from indeed....the One Above...as always... 

No comments: