Tuesday, February 17, 2015

NS Museum....

I've always been fascinated with museum when I was a young boy and till today, the excitement of visiting a museum doesn't seemed to fade in my life. So, last Sunday, SL and I decided to bring our young friends, Ryan and Ashley for a little tour of NS Museum. The children were excited , of course, but as Ryan had been to the place before, he was very "strict" on not touching this and that. Such a wonderful obedient boy! As for Ashley, she was obviously the live wire as it was her first time there and everything is a wonder to her.

We started off slow enough by getting into the main hall for the display of certain historical items. Evidently, the displays were definitely a sad state of sharp stones and more stones. I sometimes wished that the museum curator or so-called Pengarah could have been more energetic and enthusiastic of equipping the museum. Sure, financial funding is always the factor but isn't there anything more interesting than some stones and some Independence/Communist era displays? Heck, there has got to be some form of creativity and new items for the museum. By far, this is really quite a sad state museum if I may say so.

Anyway, the nicer part of the museum is definitely the  two Minangkabau house structures located at the open yard. This one, I enjoyed very much as the house was airy, cosy and fun. The wood carvings are an absolute delight. The children enjoyed it very much especially with the cannons and the houses plus the wood cut perahu or small boat. Yeah, I am always a big fan or artistic flair and the wood carvings just showed how talented people were at that time.

The intricate designs with nature motives are always a welcome sight. The houses were clearly the epic attraction of the museum. I was told that there are two other museums available in NS namely the Seri Menanti Museum and Lukut Museum. I most sincerely hoped that these are better museums and I hope to bring the two tiny tots to enjoy the arts and craft there.

I am always hopeful that these two young ones are able to understand and enjoy the beautiful crafts and arts we have here in our home land, Malaysia. I guess, some museum curators just doesn't care the impact it will bring or is it that the parents are slowly turning into museum pieces themselves for being over-protective, over-emphasis on studies and finance and over-counter productive when it comes to learning new things and enjoying simpler things in life? I often wonder........

No matter what, to me, museums are a real fascination to me. I am always fascinated with the rich culture of our country and what she has gone through. The historical artefacts, the living culture of the people, the simple things of life such as olden days relics and replicas and the story behind every happenings are truly a great source of amazement and fun. 

I am never tired of visiting museums as I know it made richer in understanding the country we live in. Don't just take my word for it, really. Go and experience it yourself. The cheapest way to historical facts and fascinating things around us. Afterall, most museums are free and even the paying ones usually charges very nominal fees.

Have fun then and see you at the museums!

No comments: