Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Majestic Ancient Ruins.....

My second day in Siem Reap begun as early as 4.30am when I shook hands with my tuk-tuk driver, HockLee for the day. I had told Jerry , my cousin that I want to spend as much time as possible at the historical sites and catch the sunrise at Angkor Wat which I found to explicitly overrated. I did not know why I so sucked in into the sunrise thingy until I stood by the lake catching the sunrise. 

Before this, we travelled along the highway to Angkor Archaeological Park and just like everyone else, at 4.45am, we got our pass to the Angkor temples after parting USD $20.00 each which I felt was a lot but well worth t he money parted, actually, after the end of my day here. By the time, I ended my time here, I was bumped out, exhausted and I could not feel my legs! Hahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........ I must thanked Jerry for giving me a good tuk-tuk driver who ensured that we went as many temples and sites as possible.

As usual, SLing and I started our ancient city and temple tour at Angkor Wat. I must say that Angkor Wat never failed to impress me eventhough I've been here before. The sunrise experience was one to remember as the sun breaks through the dark clouds to sportingly splatter the skies with its lush golden rays  and streaky orange delight amidst the background of the silhouette of Angkor Wat. SLing was marvelled and impressed by the splendour and architecture of Angkor Wat. Wait till you go inside, I told her and true enough she was captivated by the sheer size, stone structure and the artistic greatness at the walls and pillar. We then lined up in order for us to go up to the Bakan, the top of the tower of Angkor Wat. 

The officers manning the steps of Bakan were strict and ensured that everyone was properly dressed and covered up. Some tourists were not allowed up the steps to Bakan as they were in shorts and sleeveless t-shirts. I guess, they did not heed their Cambodian counterpart advice on this matter and paid a heavy price for it as the view up there was awesome. 

It was the Guardians of  Angkor Thom bridge and Baphuon next. The view and stone greetings were nice amidst the flowing river. The Guardians of Angkor Thom stone figurines  looked menacingly fierce and big, I guess. 
Then it is off to Baphuon.  It was another exhaustive walk and climb. Steep steps seemed never ending and I was just happy that I made it up and enjoying the beauty of the view. from the top. The water pools on the left and right made it such a view too. I realised that every temple was beautifully built and harmoniously inclined. Each block of stones laid out and put together was intricately snucked fit. It was such an honor being able to be at the temples. 

The Bayon was next and I must say that this is the most beautiful ancient ruins I've ever experienced being in. The wall carvings were beautiful and SLing loved the view indeed. I managed to explain to her the historical side of the temple after some reading up before coming to this site. I guess, there is just no words to explain the splendour of Bayon. You just have to experience it to know the beauty of it. I fell in love with Bayon as the block of faces just made it all such a marvel, actually. 

From here, it was off to Phimeanakas temple which was still in ruins and repairs had not being carried out. As we were walking with a group of Japanese tourist, it was nice to hear the guide telling the history to the Japanese tourists. The guide went on to explain to the group in regards to the two huge swimming pools available as one moved towards Temple of King Leper. Again the beauty was the carving on the walls and the lower ground carvings on the wall. There are beautifully carved out it was a surprise at every corner.

As one exits , Temple of  King Leper, one is met by Terrasse of the Elephants. It doesn't take a genius to  understand that this temple was built in honour of the Cambodian elephants which were used in many of their ancient wars. However, I must point out that some of the elephant carved blocks had been restored and sometimes did not reflect the sculpture of the elephants. I guess, there ought to be more serious of this matter as putting things together for the sake of tourism will not help in any way. Correct and good restoration are important rather than dollar and cents emphasis.

Ta Keo was next and to see the big temple in the midst of restoration works was encouraging but taking such a long time for restoration wasn't good. We then proceeded to Chau Say Tevoda temple while was a place of two uniquely built temples. As it was blistering hot and tiring, we managed our best to give our best smiles as we posed for photographs. Again,the temple is a small one but no less ancient and lovely.
The next destination was Ta Prohm, the fame Tomb Raider film site. I love this site too as the roots of the tree resting on the temple walls were a sight to behold. Prior to arrival at this site, I had asked SLing to ensure that she is not cajoled by some child to buy the souvenirs as it would not help them. 

The explanation is that these children ply the Ta Prohm route to earn money for the family and thereby refuse to go to school to study. This would increase the illiteracy rate in Cambodia and would not help their people in the end. I tend to agree to the need to get these children to school rather than ply their trade at the street to Ta Prohm.  As I led SLing to the scenic views in Ta Prohm, 

I also showed SLing the spot where Angelina Jolie had acted out her scene in Tomb Raider movie. I was bushed tired and perspiring like someone who had just came out from a sauna. Then it was a good 30 minutes walk to our tuk-tuk against the  background of Cambodian musical sounds by a group of disabled folks who had lost their limbs due to ground mines during the Khmer Rouge regime.


Our last stop was Ta Nei. This was recommended by my cousin, Jerry. This is purely an untouched ancient ruin and it is such a raw experience indeed. The ruins was superbly peaceful and quiet. It was so nice to have some peace and quiet at last and basking the cool breeze that blows by. I was extremely intrigue by the wall carvings and I find one carving of a woman smiling captivating indeed. It was so soothing to see "her" smile and the untouched ruins was indeed relaxing for once. All my tiredness seemed to go away for a moment. 

All in all, we had explored 11 ancient ruins temples and it was more than we ever bargained for. We were supposed to go to another temple site for sunset photography but our legs just won't carry us that day no more nor will our physical bodies. We were tired and our old legs just won't budge anymore. 

As I reflected back the day after a good cold shower and rest, I am so blessed to be able to see such magnificent & majestic works of art and such simplicity. I know that this experience will last me a lifetime indeed. 

Yeah...sums up my feelings inside......

No comments: