Friday, August 16, 2019

DAY 3 – ROYAL BELUM – TEMENGGOR …… Last Day

Waking up in the morning, body was aching and legs were stiff as rock. Maybe, it is just the old body acting up again after some serious stuff yesterday. The creaking and the tweaking of the old bones doesn’t stop and you often wonder how they could stay together for such a long time. Hmmnnnnn… the miracle from God , I guess. It was our last day in Belum Eco Resort today. Though I was sad as I had to leave a very beautiful place, I take heart that this place will always have a very special place in my heart. I guess, when you are connected to a good resort , you feel a certain loving connection to the place and Belum Eco Resort makes you feel that way.  It is odd and strange but it is very true for me. saying goodbye to this place was really hard as I have enjoyed every moment I have here.

The morning atmosphere is awesome; the light breeze, the sights and sounds of the jungle greets you as you wake up your sensors each morning. Sure, it is a man made lake but money can’t buy that tranquility and peace that you seek or felt. Yeah, money does bring you to such a place but you cannot produce tranquil and peace because only Mother Nature does that well and well enough. To me, Belum Eco Resort may be deemed as too run down or needs a face life but I believe if you take away the prejudicial rustic look and feel of the place, you take away the essence of its purpose as a simple and peaceful nature setting place. What lacks in the accommodation ( no air-cond and the modern comforts ), they made up in serving great food, good staff and pleasant hospitality. I have no complaints at all. I find the place incredibly mysteriously surprising and very livable as far as I was concerned. Maybe, I am a simple person with simple needs and probably a rod, a reel and a parang/machete are all I need here. Wishful thinking , right? 

The other thing is spending the time with the people on this trip. I have really learned a lot from the people on this trip. Robin & Jaclyn are a young couple but they are truly fun, lively and humorous. Robin’s infectious laughter and funny ways does lighten up the day any time while Jaclyn is young, vibrant, adventurous and sweet. Always caring and always  in concern, this couple makes a good combination of joyous fun. Good couple to have for any occasion, really. To be honest, you learn a lot about a person’s character when you see someone fish, actually. Over the days, I have learned a lot from Robin and Jaclyn. I have learn what it means to lead and to accommodate people like they do.  I pray for God’s rich blessing be upon their lives. May God hears and grant them their earnest dreams and desires of their hearts. Robin is playful and mischievous at times but it takes Jaclyn to tone him down while Jaclyn is a rather down to earth person with no nonsense attitude which is pleasing for a  couple.

Then we have Fook Meng and Joo Li who are very decent and equally humorous people. This couple are dotting parents to young Sophia Joy. I guess, I am blessed seeing both Fook Meng & Joo Li taking the initiative to expose and introduce Sophia Joy to the adventurous lane of nature, outdoor activity and enjoying the simpler things in life. I was initially very surprised that Fook Meng even make it to his room because there isn’t any air–cond in the room. I could have sworn that maybe, just maybe, in my simplistic mind that Robin could have “conned” Fook Meng into believing that the rooms are air –conditioned. Probably, Robin conveniently forgot to mention to Fook Meng that air-cond comes on only at 1.00am onwards in Belum Eco Resort!!!!! But Fook Meng is a true blue gentleman and adventurer all the way. He tries very hard in all his adventures and you could see that he loves doing what he does. He takes a lot of pride in what he is doing and doing it well. The important part is that he tries to be a good example to his daughter and that’s very commendable and honorable thing to do indeed. Joo Li is also a very adventurous person but she is really a very careful mother. Always quick with a witty line or remarks, she definitely brightened up our days during the trip. I guess, she doesn’t take risks but she is game for a joyful time in nature and that makes her a truly nature champion at heart. There is so much good that oozes out from this couple, actually. 
Capt Edwin and Lorna are the nature champion in this environment. Years of experience with OA people and their environment have taught this couple to share their volume of experiences with all of us. Witty, humorous and laid back, it was a real joy to able to spend time with this couple who are not only caring but loving as well. I have much respect for both Edwin and Lorna for their truly respectable and caring ways. Their ability to adapt to the environment quickly helped us all feel relieved and at ease. Never shy from giving kind words and encouragement, we are truly blessed. Truly blessed to have them in our travels especially with Edwin’s tales of travels in his shipping days! Edwin’s vast experience in nature surroundings and Lorna’s easy ways makes it all such a delight for the dynamics of the group as a whole as it was like the older passing the experiences to the younger people. 

Lastly, I am blessed to have SLing and SYuen to share my delight in nature and the beauty of Mother Nature. Years of camping trips in the RR ministry and numerous outdoor activities have helped them realized that “ if you can’t beat him, then might as well join him.”  I felt blessed that both SLing and SYuen could last the pace and activity plus the places that we stayed over the years. Sure, SLing is very particular over the places we stayed especially the toilet facilities and so on but over the years, she has supported my pure madness over nature trips and activities. For that I am so thankful and grateful in many ways. As for SYuen , I see a lot of me in her. She is an adventurer, caring and loving. Her gentle ways with children is a delight to my heart. I am just blessed to call her my daughter and my friend. I am so glad and blessed that God gave her to me to be my daughter. 
As the breakfast was served for the last time that morning to us, all I could think of was that it was sad to see the holidays coming to an end. Though I was having bitter sweet feelings of things, I truly have enjoyed the holidays with family and great friends. I could not have asked for more for what God has blessed me with. I thanked the staff of Belum Eco Resort before heading towards the houseboat. I have made it a habit to thank everyone who had blessed my life and the staff of Belum Eco Resort are no exception for they have truly been a blessing to our group.

I often wonder if Royal Belum-Temenggor Forest Reserve would remain this beautiful in years to come. The fact is that I do not know the answer but the fact remains that the proper authorities and the responsible parties are to ensure that this last surviving paradise is preserved and talked about in years and generations to come. I often feel very passionate about the places I have been but more often than not, I have seen these places being turned into money –making paradise and soon, pollution, greed and unscrupulous ways will rob this paradise bare and left to rot. I pray that God would restore and preserved this paradise for generations to come, to see, enjoy and honor the place. 

Honestly, it sucks BIG time when you know that your holidays are up! I really wish I could spend more time at Royal Belum –Temenggor Forest Reserve as I wanted to see the elephants , the birds and even the insects. So much to see, so much to learn and yet so little precious time indeed. 


The comfort I take away from this experience is that this place is truly beautiful and it is such a privilege in this lifetime of mine to see the Rafflesia Azlanii flower, enjoy a hike up to Sg.Enam waterfall, mingled with the OA people in Kg.Chuweh and fought a good fight with the Tomans! Nothing can replace the experiences and the memories of sharing that experience with 9 other beautiful people. 

What and where next? Your guess is as good as mine………………….Cheers!                

No comments: