Friday, May 14, 2021

Worthy Lives....

 

Aunty June and me. This 94 year old woman is awesome!

Today I want to share my experience of serving during this difficult pandemic times. I know that what I did was just a very meagre fraction of the many things the people who could have contributed more to the society during these times. It all started in the living room of my home when I had cried my heart out  on some difficulties the family had to face over time and the general anxieties of life. I must acknowledged that we do have a good God who hears our prayers despite our constant barrages of “shopping list” wants and needs to Him! I am no different and I am also a mere human with much flaws and inadequacies but that night in the living room, I cried a lot. There seemed to be a lot of matters to handle and to go through that I was overwhelmed by it.  It was as though I poured out all my sorrows to the Lord and had sought for that one moment of small relief. Well, I have bad news for those who needs constant relief, it is not going to happen! That’s for sure. It’s going to take a lot of soul searching and a lot of reflective thinking when you are dealing with yourself and with matters of the Lord. It was no different for me that night. I just trusted the Lord for His leading in times like this. That night, I asked the Lord for the opening of doors in my life so that I would be in His service and I would rend my heart for what seemed to be a period of hardness I have felt in my life.

As the pandemic worsened each day, SLing and I went on with our lives and then came the call from Pastor Daniel if I could help him out by taking Aunty June for her 1st Covid-19 vaccination at Dewan Tun Ali, Bukit Katil. I have no reservation nor hesitation in agreeing to help out at all. In fact, I would be glad to help out as I told Pastor Daniel. I was to be the driver for Aunty Wong Junetta Gock, a 94 year old “young lady” who stays about an hour drive from my place. Never mind the distance as I was most willing to help. No qualms about that.  She is truly one of the most amazing and inspirational figure I’ve ever met in my life! She is our church member and seeing her was a great encouragement for me. I’ve seen her teach in the Sunday School class in her age and she would put us all in shame when teaching the children of the love of God. Such passion, love and commitment were certainly applaudable but most important of all, she was an epitome of God’s love even in her late age. Truly a remarkable person and a wonderful personality plus she speaks very well and audible. That morning, I drove an hour to meet her and then an hour to the vaccination centre. During the one hour drive, I was absolutely floored by the amount of knowledge this woman had of what is happening in our country and the world! It was the most pleasant journey to be able to speak with someone that knowledgeable. Even though I was just the driver for the day, Aunty June made it a point to engage me with some interesting discussion points and daily matters. It was such a joy being able to engage in such an interesting volume and range of topics. We both had some good laughs on certain matters while the entire process of vaccination was a good experience for her.  I guess, if I could do my part to calm matters and to make it a good process of vaccination for her, I would be glad with that. That day, I just did all I could to ensure a smooth process of vaccination for Aunty June. We even had some photographs together and also at the end of the vaccination. I thank God for Aunty June’s life and such vigour in her spirit for the Lord. I could only marvel at her strength, courage and love despite losing her loving husband, Uncle Peter a number of years ago. Alone, slightly immobile except for the support, she was able to eke out her life daily despite the pandemic. What a woman indeed! God gave me a good lesson that morning of which I am eternally grateful indeed.

Aunty Juneat the completion of the 1st dose vaccination.

Weeks later, SLing and I received a call from Pastor Daniel if we could ferry Aunty Chan,a church member too, to the vaccination centre in Dewan Tun Ali. This time both SLing and I were able to ferry her to the vaccination centre together. Meeting Aunty Chan was indeed a blessing. This petite 83 year old was going for her 2nd vaccination. She too is truly a remarkable woman. We talked happily that morning on various subjects and she was truly a good conversationist. She gave SLing and I two juicy and beautiful looking mangoes and they were truly very good when we ate them later that day. As usual, during the vaccination process, somehow, there was a larger crowd that day. I helped Aunty Chan during the registration and ensure a smooth process for her. There was so much uneasiness at the centre by the larger presence of people whom were identified as pilgrims who would be performing their Haj sometime soon. They were being put together with the older folks who are on their second dose vaccination. I guess, I tried to make it as smooth as possible for Aunty Chan to have her vaccination. It was all done within 40 minutes and soon, we were off to her home. Along the way, SLing and I had asked Auntie Chan if she wanted to have some lunch. She declined our offer but would like to buy a loaf of bread. When I got her the bread, she thanked me and offered to pay for the loaf but I insisted that she need not pay for it. She then said that she would pray for us during her quiet times. To me, that was all we needed and the best deal ever. I was so blessed and impressed with Aunty Chan simply because she is alone since the passing away of Uncle Chan YT but she lived her life the best she could and making the best of what she could. Such strength and tenacity! I guess, it is never easy but she made it through thus far. She is quiet, timid but a woman of faith. I guess, my heart goes out to these two ladies and I am truly blessed listening to their stories and their experiences in life. Their life experiences motivated, refreshed and encouraged me to be a better person in life. I learnt that having faith in God and standing firm to His words helps to refine and mould you in perspective and how you lead your life. I learnt that even in old age, you can inspire many people just like these two “young ladies” whom I have the great honour to be with that day. They are truly beautiful people who just needs a little ear to listen to and an open heart to hear their stories. Afterall, with wealth of life experiences and vast perspective in life under their belt, who wouldn’t , right?

Aunty Chan and me. This petite 83 year old woman is wonderful!

Look , we would all grow old one day. What story would we be telling to the people or even our family members one day? Would it be a good story to inspire or would it be a story of bitterness and sorrows? To me, these two women told their stories with much truth, honesty, enthusiasm and love. Just like everyone else, they do have their ups and downs in life but they lifted their chins up, bear the brunt and moved on in their lives. To the both of them, when they do a count back or take stock of what had happened, God has been good and God is good.

Aunty Chan on her 2nd dose completion of vaccination! Well done!

To me, the greatest lesson I take away from this experience is that when God opens the door to be a blessing – just do it well, listen well and care for the needs. In return, the love, joy and peace in your heart are truly enormous and uplifting. That day, I felt so blessed.

I felt joyful and blessed being able to be the chauffeur for these beautiful ladies that day. Even the most menial works of all, it gives my heart such a warm feeling.  That , my friends, is priceless. No money, power nor status can even come close to that! Priceless!

So, thank you , Aunty June and Aunty Chan for blessing and enriching our lives with your lives!

No comments: