Sunday, June 25, 2023

Batch 21 MYC Melaka


I have not written anything this year and I’ve always wanted to write because it is my passion. Somehow, the idea of writing always gets derailed by some circumstances whether I like it or not. This time, I decided to write away. I guess, I finally have some material to write on my long lost forgotten blog. 

(L) Horas Reinathan, Chris Hew & Billy Lerry

This morning I attended Batch 21 MYC Melaka Graduation 2023. I was actually looking forward to this graduation as I have shared lessons of life with these young people. These young people hold a very special place in my heart since my involvement in teaching them life lessons with the Word. I remembered the very first time I taught my first lesson there and it was such a blessed feeling. I got to know about these young individuals who had come from broken homes, deprived homes and some times, abusive conditions to get their lives right by being discipline, understanding the Word and changing their lives for the better with a skill to earn a living. This noble cause is the reasoning for the formation of Montfort Youth Centre Melaka. I believe that thousands of youths had gone through the doors of this institution somewhat warped and broken but had gone out whole/restored -body, mind and soul.

Vinsent Charles

Matthew Thenesh

Peter Ramdan

Montfort Youth Centre Melaka is special because her Board of Governors, administration under the leadership of Bro.Peter, teachers and helpers are one group of dedicated, caring and loving people. Sure, there are difficulties, financial constrains and so on but nothing is impossible with GOD. I see a system designed for the cultivation of good habits, great foresight or moulding and nurturing young lives with good character and insightful love. Yes, the youth of this generation are way too pampered and lazy asses that needed their ass whipped in trying times like this. Instillation of good manners, early rising and honoring GOD first have helped many in the MYC Melaka doors.  Anyway, I loved the system and discipline in place and I never fail to tell the parents or anyone who had enrolled in MYC Melaka that their son will come out transformed by the grace of GOD.

Khairul Azizz Halim

Ruben Raj

Best Student Batch 21 of MYC Melaka, Billy Lerry

Coming back to Batch 21 , this is the Covid era batch of young people who had to battle through Covid-19 and also the hard times that ensued. With the grace of GOD, they graduated today. As I arrived at the hall, there was  already a good crowd in the hall. The atmosphere was fantastic – heavy with expectation and beaming smiles all around. I quickly took a seat beside a woman who was there for her nephew, one of the 24 youths who are graduating. Today, I have 8 young people from my class who are going to graduate from this respected establishment! The ceremony started with the introduction of the graduates which was done very nicely indeed.  Very in sync , courteous and very professional ! Wow! The graduates were in suits and ties! It was very impressive. Next came the rounds of speeches and finally, the presentation of certificates. I was like a lunatic clapping my hands and  punching my fist in the air every time young people from my class received their skill certificate and outstanding services certificates and prizes. I guess, the best news of all was The Best Student Award was won by one of the young people in my class namely Billy Lerry. It was also such an honour and blessing to have two young people from my class , Peter and Khairul Azizz to give their speech in BM and English respectively representing the graduating youths. Amazingly, Khairul Azizz spoke not a word of English when he first enrolled in MYC Melaka but after 2 years, he gave his speech in English! That is a real accomplishment!

As the ceremony ended and smiles were all around, I could not hide my smiles and admiration for the young people. Though I am very aware that I played a really very small fraction/minute part in the graduation today, I was very blessed. It was like seeing my own children graduated and moving into the society of work now. I could feel the crème of admiration, proudness and joyful pride of the parents and family who were there to share the joy with the graduates. I am thoroughly blessed by the experience of it all. I felt very blessed when Khairul recorded his thanks and gratitude to Capt Edwin Sim and myself in his speech for his spiritual lessons. To me, I immediately channeled that glory to GOD for enabling Capt Edwin Sim and myself to teach the Word to the young people.


As I sat at the chair and my simplistic mind wandered back at those nights spent with the young people, I have always often wondered if I had made a difference in their lives. I had also flashbacked to the nights driving from Bukit Katil to Ayer Salak and vice versa ( still doing it! ) for the lessons and how crazy traffic was each time. The preparation was also enormous especially with the materials. I must state that this teaching is done with no monetary gains at all and totally voluntary ; equipped only with my passion to teach the Word with the inculcation of learning games. I am so thankful for the people who constantly prayed for me as I bring forth the life games and lessons to the young people! To my prayer team members ( you know who you are! ), THANK YOU SO MUCH! Please continue to keep me in your prayers always!

Somehow, I really enjoyed teaching all that I could and with the best of my ability. Looking back, if I have made a small dent in the lives or I have encouraged them in any way, I believe, I’ll be enormously satisfied. Looking at them today, I am so blessed. After having taken photographs with the graduates of my class, I quickly made my exit out of the hall.

Along the way, I bumped into one of the beaming parents who stopped me and spoke to me. He said this to me, “ Sir, I see you taking photographs, hugging and slapping the backs of a few young men. You are close to them,huh. So, what do you do here? “

I smiled and answered, “ I didn’t do much. I just play games with them!” leaving him with a very puzzled look.



No comments: