Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Class Act....

In continuation of " My Grandfather" article, I just want to continue to write about how much in amazement I am about my grandfather. While getting the necessary arrangements on funeral arrangements and so on, I was able to chat with my mom and my brother about grandpa.What was revealed to me by my mom and brother was truly amazing and classy act carried out by my grandpa.
I was told that there was a written "To Do" list of things which grandpa had prepared years ahead prior to the day he passed away. At first, I thought it was a joke but certainly it was no joke and everything had to be done according to his list - His last wish list! By looking at mom and brother's face, it was certainly no joke and nothing more frightening than seeing how serious mom was! So, I asked my mom and brother to reveal to me what was in the list which as the story and lists unfolded; continued to raise my amazement about this old man. My  grandpa had planned every detail of his funeral even right down to the cost of things! BTW, his estimation of cost was precise and not far off from his estimation prior to his death. Truly, he is aware of the needs of each and every son, daughter, grandchildren and even down to the Chinese associations, his Tai-chi club and even Chinese temples that he is going to give donations to. I am amazed and truly amazed by this. Imagine this - He knew that upon his death , one of the Hainanese association would allocate RM 1,000.00 as bereavement fund. He decided in his list that he would donate RM 500.00 back to the association while the next RM 500.00 would be given to the association tombstone caretaker to dig the hole to his grave for his casket to be lowered in someday and the fees was exactly RM 500.00! Amazing! 
The only thing he did not allocate was the cost for his casket and the meals as part of the funeral expenses. He left that part to his sons and daughters to make their own contributions. It is a Chinese customary thing of bringing good luck to the family and so on. I wouldn't know anyway. Other than that, all cost had been allocated for. Isn't that amazing? As the undertakers laid my grandpa at rest in the teak casket, I took a good look at my grandfather's face and saw how serene and peaceful he was lying there. Mind you, there is no facial make-up at all ( usually, undertakers will get make-up artist to dust and make the face look nice-lar! ) and he looks good in his natural form. I could not hide my tears and joy as well. There wasn't a dry eye at the living hall that day when he was lowered into the casket. As I look at him, I just want to thank him so much for being so considerate and a truly amazing grandfather. I wouldn't know if he heard it or not but deep in my heart , he is a winner.  I am amazed that he was such a detailed planner of his own funeral. A hard act to follow, man!
My brother then told of how grandpa would take my mom to the bank, opened up a joint account and saved into the account. Grandpa was specific that he did not want to bother any of his children nor grandchildren for the funeral expenses and so on. So, every dollar in the bank was to be used to pay for every possible expenses incurred during his funeral and all payments must be made! In fact, he had a little something in store for each and everyone of us when all expenses are paid at the end of the day. WOW! WOW! WOW! I am stumped for words! Mom then confided that grandpa wouId say to her that he trusted her and being a good daughter, she should only revealed this fund to the family members when he had to change address someday somehow. Mom  recalled how he told my mom to take note of this needs and that needs when it arises when he is no more around on this earth. Hey, my grandpa has a great sense of humour and class,man! As I sat down there with my mom's hands clasped firmly, I told my mom that grandpa had had a fulfilling life at 85 and mom nodded. I also told her that grandpa had a lot of class and respect for doing what he did. No only was he a great model but a great example of a human being. I couldn't help but felt proud that I have a grandpa like that. He may no be around anymore physically but in my heart, I have a great space for him.
I know that it is really quite morbid to talk about funerals and death but every one would have to die eventually, someday, right? I guess, no one can run away from that fact. It is always, " I have more things to do but I wanted to .....", "If only I had spent more time with ........". " I just met him/her yesterday and I wish I could ......" Everyday of our lives, we second guessed our decision to spent time with our loved ones, good friends, people who are dear to us, and even long lost family friends. That's why we should all look at NIKE slogan and " Just Do It! ".

Grandpa, you are one classy act and there will never ever be another one like you!~

No comments: