Monday, October 17, 2011

Medical Day!

Recently, I had my medical follow-up with my attending physician and I tell you, it was a roller-coaster of feeling as far as I am concerned. Everything is okay except the sugar level and the weight. Mind you, this is a passionate man who is genuinely concerned for my health and I must admit that I had been "reckless" a bit lately. Nope! Let me re-phrase that: reckless for the past 3 months! ( They say confession is good for the soul! ). Anyway,  I could not get away from getting an earful of advice from this physician of mine and at times, I felt ashamed of myself. Anyway, I am more determined to take better care of myself and to respond adequately. Eventhough he had a string of patients at his clinic, he really took the time to explain to me the need to trim the fats ( Ouch! It hurts! ) and to get ample rest or else I'll be meeting my Maker faster than he can dispense medicine to his patients! I took that in seriously because I could see his piercing eyes and thick eyebrows eyeballing me every second I blinked. It is a daunting and intimidating sight to behold! His bottomline is this : Eat wisely, exercise or you'll die! Short, sweet and simple - advice noted!
Armed with this , I took the decision to get some attention for my toothache that had been bugging me for about a month or two now. Yup! I can withstand the pain that I am going through. I guess, I am immune to pain unless I couldn't sleep or stand the pain anymore. If I think, I could swallow the pain, I would just endure it. Anyway, I decided against it and I drove to the nearest govt. dental clinic to get my pain resolved once and for all. I am really glad I did that and I am really impressed with the services rendered. There is indeed a vast improvement in attitude and services from the front counter to the doctors. It was a pleasant experience, I would say. Though I still have to wait for about an hour before I get to meet the dental doctor, I was very glad for his explanation and his professionalism in handling my dental conditions. He took a note of the medication I am taking and explained in detail before asking me to decided what I wanted to do with my tooth. I had only one word in my mind - EXTRACT the pain out of me, buddy! That was exactly what he did. He gave me two shots of nerve numbing fluid shots and 15 -20 minutes later, he was extracting the source of my nightmare for the past 2 months. Phew! What a relief but then my nightmare continues-lar the following morning as the tooth was quite a big one, blood still oozed out from the vacated area. Gotta be patient and let it heal naturally - that's what the doctor said. So, that means, popping the painkillers and hoping for the best.  So, even if I woke up about 4 times to spit out the coagulated blood and ease myself, it was still worth it or is it? I dunno but I do feel relief from the excruciating prior to pulling out of the tooth but at the same time, tired due to the lack of sleep and rest.
Yunno, the pain was mainly due to the bad tooth being broken into half and the sharp edge had cut into the underside and sides of the tongue. That caused an inflammation and swollen a bit while the bad tooth doesn't help one bit. The pain was so bad that for about a week , I had difficulties in swallowing solids without having to feel the sensational pain of the highest level. I understood now what it means by pain that Job and C.S.Lewis described when drinking water would also have the same effects of pain. It was excruciating but I guess, I had endured it and learned from it. So, I learned something new again and I am thankful for that. Afterall, life is not always a bed of roses but it is also a bed of thorns and pain, right? We learn and we all learn from experience, right?

No comments: