Monday, November 21, 2011

YES!

Exhilarating, pulsating, nail-biting, thrilling, in awe and pure proudness is what I could describe while watching the 26th SEA Games football final between the host, Indonesia and our very own Malaysia team. What a classic match! There is no feeling to describe how proud I am towards the Malaysian team who had played their hearts out at the final. I was glued to my seat from the first whistle to the whistle that signalled the goal scored by our Malaysian team skipper, Baddrol Bakthiar. Elation, relief , two hands lifted up together with the shouts of " YEEEEAAAAAHHHHH " could have woken up my neighbours but who cares! Malaysia WON the gold medal of the 26th Edition of the SEA GAMES, man! 
I remembered the last time I cried out  " YES! YES! YES!" and jumped out of my sofa seat with both fists raised was on the 34th minute when the Malaysian team equalised after trailing 1-0 at that time! What a gem of a goal! A comedy of errors as one commentator put it but I call it a touch of class, man. I could hear my sweet wife bellowed " IVAN! Are you mad?" I didn't care, I just shouted " GOAL! GOAL GOAL!" as I pumped my two fists to the air! Yup! I was like a lunatic on the loose but it was a great feeling. Great feeling! I guess, every Malaysian would have reacted the same way as I did. I guess, if you a sports person, you can relate to what I am saying because you would understand what I am feeling. Even though I may not be putting on  a national jersey on my back, my support as a Malaysian is always there for the Malaysian team. The team deserve all praises for what they have to go through and still came up winners. They have to put up with a very hostile crowd of about 80,000 people ,  the lousy reception, treatment and the heckles/tackles on the field.
It was really a match to remember. My pick for hero of the team would be Khairul Fahmi a.k.a Apek, the goalkeeper. He was outstanding throughout the entire competition and he stopped two to three sure goals in the final. Had it been any other custodian between the post that night, it would have been a completely different story! The penalty save was really crucial and Apek did it with brilliance by diving well to stop the spot kick shot from Ferdinan Sinaga. He is a sure a pair of steady hands between the post. He deserved as much accolades as the skipper and the rest of the team members. What is heartening is that there is hope for Malaysian football which had gone through some rough patch over the years. There seemed to be a steady rise of talents and more dedication when playing for the country. I guess, just like many Malaysians, I pray that this successes will not go into their heads and missed out the real passion for the game. It is always very special representing our school, our college, our state and even  our country in any sporting events. It's special.......very special.
So, to the Malaysian SEA Games football team, WELL DONE! WELL DONE INDEED!~       

No comments: