Sunday, December 2, 2012

A Thought....

One morning while I was in the office, a colleague came into the office and informed me that a tragedy had occurred at one of the streets in town. He told me that there was a crowd at that place and there was a police tape line at the area. It seemed with some basic investigative works, he found out that a young bank employee took his life by plunging off the building where he had worked. Further information revealed that the young banker had received his first warning letter for something and feeling disappointed, he decided to end his life. Then there was another news of one thirty plus man proving the point for the laws of gravity in another part of the town where the silent majority lumbers! It seemed that the "call" of his late wife was simply too irresistible. 

Personally, it saddens me that young people like these takes the easy way out by practically worming their way out from their problems rather than standing up and look for a solution. A few years earlier, a young executive hung himself in the house because of rejected love while a manager hung himself at the office walkway due to gambling debts. Then, there was a close relative, a young executive, who stabbed himself to death due to depression and work stress. The list could go on and it will go on unless some sanity is brought back to perspective. Maybe, committing suicide is a normal thing these days but it's not normal to my vocabulary as far as I am concerned.  Yes, we all would have these tendencies at least once in our lives but a good dose of the fear of God would always help to awaken us from this dark slumber of insanity of the dark twist of ending one's life. There is nothing glorifying about committing suicide. Neither is it an escapism from our problems. It only shows how susceptible and how vulnerable one could be if we succumb to the dastardly seduction of the dark side. This is not a story - these are real life stories and experiences that I had gone through personallly and I am saddened by it.

I believe there has got to be proper mental strength in each individual to withstand the onslaught of such evil contraption of life.We must equipped our young minds and lives with a good dose for the fear of God. I believe every fabric of religion teaches us that committing suicide is sin. No religion glorifies sin and accept that committing suicide will bring you closer to heaven. I am not going to dour your day by saying nice things because it is NOT goint to be nice. The young people and the older ones are as vulnerable as any person in our homes, our street, our workplace and even our inner sanctuary of worship. What is urgently needed is HELP. Help from all angles of possiblity. I believe HELP for these people are Healing, Evaluate, Listening and Pacify.   Heal the heart and mind with good practical Word of God, Evaluate the reaction, sign and symptons, Listen intently and catch the important breaking point of an individual and Pacify the heart and mind with good, sound and soothing advice. 

Deploying the good Godly principles of life together with a good dose of the Word of God never ceased to fail, amaze and enrich my life. We need to instill good moral values and impart the ability to think and solve problems to the minds of these young people. With the enormous advancement in technology and the vast improvements in human life style, peer pressure and issues in life are getting more complex while physical exhaustion and full mental stress are a real thing. It is never easy nowadays to gauge the mental sanity of people. That's why it is important to instill good and practical values in the lives of our young ones.

We have had enough condemnation in our society shafted down our throats today. What is required is the strength of the family. Let me be the first to admit that I too have been "neglect" in the sense of educating my own children with these values. Yes, I tried my best but I guess, sometimes, we have take up greater effort in helping out our children. Let me be the first to admit some of "the old ways" have to make way for new one so that we can keep up with times. Let us, as parents, play a bigger role by connecting with our children - young or older one and learn to know what is happening in their lives. Sure, we are not going to give in to every whims and fancies but the least we can do is to give these children the lifeline that the home is where the love is. For every son or daughter who had made a wrong turn in their lives, they MUST have the option to be able to go into the arms of a father or a mother to feel safe and to start again. The love starts from the one called the Father and Mother. Believe me, I have realised that I did not have that option very early in my life because Dad was like the only breadwinner and worker in my home while mom was like the executioner with the rotan running around. But they both gave me something which I have failed to realise until much later in my life when I reflected on my life over a cup of good strong coffee. They gave me a lifeline that should anything bad happened in my life, I could always go back to them in whatever battered way I was or whatever bad shape I was in and still be loved. That's the power of love from parents. We must instil that in our children. Honestly, I am learning and sorting out my ways to be like my Heavenly Father on that throne up there. Yes, we all make mistakes in our lives but let us not lose our children or our loved ones in some bathtub with wrist slit or landing on the hard granite tar main road or some gassed room in the house or hung on some beam in the house. Let us make a concerted effort NOT to lose any of our loved ones for the matter. Let us help our loved ones. PLEASE?    

No comments: