Monday, December 17, 2012

Sandy Hook Tragedy.....

Three days ago, when I heard that there had been another school massacre happening in the US, it sickened me to my bones. This time, it is Sandy Hook Elementary School, Newton, Connecticut. However, my sadness turned to deeper sorrow when it came to light that the lone gunman had mercilessly gunned down 6 and 7 year olds without battering an eyelid and total non-display of emotions. It was really really disheartening and sad that such things will still continue to occur unless some concrete steps are taken in US to stop the trading of arms or the free & easy access to firearms. 

My first reaction of the massacre was "What did the 6 & 7 year olds do wrong?"" Why do they have to die- so young, so innocent, so much future ahead?" It is really depressing when you hear lunatic killing children! What kind of human being would hurt children? Make no mistake that I have no sympathy for the shooter because when you hurt and kill children, that is the most despicable human being ever walked on the land! I couldn't care less about the shooter but more to the children and their grieving family. As I browsed through the photos of the victims, my heart was constricted and stricken with deep grief. I can't imagine what their parents would have to go through and felt in their hearts. I truly felt as though a sharp knife had been plunged in my heart when I saw the pictures of the adults/teachers who paid with their lives for protecting their students. The teachers died protecting the children and these people are the true heroes of the tragedy. 

Yunno, the facts of the massacre are truly grim and gruesome. Some of the victims had been shot multiple times while one victim was shot as much as 11 times and we truly have a barbaric human being at hand. Twenty (20) schoolchildren and six (6) teachers were killed at this senseless killings. The bravery of teachers, Victoria Soto who hid her students in a closet and cupboard together with Lauren Rosseau's efforts were heart-wrenching when they sacrificed their lives for the children. Then there was Anne Marie Murphy who died shielding her students who were also killed together with her, bled my heart. So much sacrifice, so much death due to one man's lunacy! 

We could all have a silent prayer during our quiet times for the children and their grieving families. Let us remember just how fragile life could be. One minute you could be alive while the next minute, you might end up in a 6 by 4 plot. That is just how fragile life could be! May the Lord watch over us and our families!~   

No comments: