Monday, October 7, 2013

Fun with the children!

Getting comfortable to learn some good lesson about lying !
"You Shall Not Lie" - Commandment No.9 was my Sunday school topic and teaching a bunch of bananas like children can be both fun and exhausting as well. I tell you what - teaching these young ones the fundamentals of life is not only important but equally rewarding. Never mind if I look silly in the eyes of many when I lie down with them on the carpet but the most thing is the lesson they learn. Lying down on the carpet and propping myself up made me realised just how close the children were to me as they get comfortable. I know for a fact that when children are comfortable, they learn better.  I hope, it would be priceless experience for them as it was for me. I really cherished those moments as I wished I had a Sunday school teacher who was as crazy as I was then so that I could learn something good in my life. All I had was some gruffy, grumpy,old school teacher who kept teaching me "give me oil in my lamp and keep me burning burning burning" without explaining to me what it really meant!
Simple learning about bump of lies no matter how you hide them!

Anyway, what do you do when you have such lovely children on a Sunday morning waiting to hear what you've gotta say to them. I have often thought of that and that's why I took the trouble to study my materials and teach the children God's Word in the very best of my capability. I really have to thank my friend, Tan BLing for thrusting and trusting me to teach the Word to the children. I must admit that I was quite broken down, dry, grumpy and exhausted little  "soldier" when I first stepped into this place called City Community Church. But I must thank BLing for her persistency in pursuing me to help her in Sunday School in which I have no knowledge of except for my experience in the Royal Rangers Ministry. I remember telling BLing that I have no experience in Sunday School teaching but she asked me one question, " Do you love children?". I answered , " Yes, I do but they are Rangers children.". All she answered was " That'll do! Love them then. I know you can do it , Ivan." So, I've had 3 lessons with them so far and as idiotic as I may be, I do find it extremely rewarding being with the children and loving them as they are. Sure! I am one tough disciplinarian but I can be as fun as one lunatic kid when I enjoy myself with the children. I guess, children tends to bring out that "child" in your even though you can be in your 70's or even your 80's!    
Lovely, lovely children! ( David, Samuel,. Ee Xian, Shaohana, Siu Yee, Hui Yee, Marcus, Ruiz, me,Kimberly and Selina )
That's what I did with the children during my lesson. I also like blessing the children with simple gifts as I felt compelled to love them for what they are and just blessing them. My heart has always been blessing the children. So, I actually took the trouble during one of my workdays to get some gifts for the children. They don't cost much nor they may looked much of a gift but simple things mattered to the children. I got marble - big & small plus rulers, erasers and even Minions metal pencil case. Like I said, they don't cost much but the smiles on the faces of these young ones says it all, man! Yunno, it mean so much to me when a child learns the lesson for the day but when they can tell you what you have taught them over the 3 lessons, you can only be amazed with them. I felt that way yesterday. They make me feel so special indeed.  They could tell me what I have taught them over the 3 lessons and that was fun indeed.
The lesson! ( Did this doodle at 2.50am on Sunday morning ! )
My heart beamed with joy knowing that the Word has fallen to good young grounds. Hopefully as they progressed in their life, more people would water and attend to these young grounds of hope. Me? I am just another worker in the field who would toiled on and do my best each time. I used to ask myself many times if I've ever made any impact in these young children's lives, well, they make me feel proud and humbled yesterday. These lives are so so precious. I pray that more workers would impart good nurturing skills to these young ones and may they grow up to be god-fearing children of our future. Come on, people!  Step right up and help these children learn something, will ya? It will only take 2 hours of your labour time but the reward is rather resounding! That I can attest to!