Monday, April 21, 2014

Charity Golf duty.....

For two days, my two colleagues, Tan DM & Chris L and I were "fried, sweated and tanned " under the blistering sun in Segamat, Johor covering a charity golf tournament. To be honest, though it was tiring, hot, sweaty and sometimes befriended a lot of mosquitoes and sand flies, we were accustomed to the yearly affair golf tournament held here in Segamat. 

As usual, we had arrived an evening earlier so that we could attend the tournament early the following morning. This is not because we are "kiasu" but it is much better than travelling early morning on a Saturday wading across unlighted stretch of road which can be both dangerous, nervy winding road and intimidating at the wee hours of the morning. After settling down in our nice cosy little rooms, we decided to grab something to eat at a nearby restaurant before we hit the sack. As all of us had been working three quarters of the day prior to our earlier departure, we were really tired and retired early.

Bright and early morning the next day, we were up early to go the golf course and carried out our duties of observers in event of a Hole in One strike. I was assigned to Hole No.14 that morning. I was stuck with this for my whole duration there at the gold course. Basically, the greens at Hole No.14 was surrounded by waters; making it difficult for golfers to do mistakes which could be quite costly. Yeah, I am not golfer but I've learn more about golfing, personalities, characters and conduct in the last two days indeed. What's with the eagle, birdie, pars and bogey for all I care! But it was interesting to see the antics of the golfers.

I must say that the early morning tee off was what I enjoyed the most as the breeze and cool air were indeed a welcomed sight to my crazily cramped life. Though I had  to wait for the golfers for about an hour before they play Hole No.14, I was more interested at how the golfers conduct themselves when things get awry for them especially hitting OB or hitting the sand bunkers or even balls landing in the waters. It was really interesting.

The golfers were generally nice and courteous people. They dressed up sharply and nicely for their games and the ladies also were quite fashionable. Playing their rounds of golf/games are a totally new ball game though.  They curse, they swear , lost their tempers while some were just a bunch of sore losers and a lousy sport. It was really amusing to hear some of these golfers complained about the thick grass when they couldn't get their short while some let go a string of obscenities which involved a lot of poor grandma and grandpa, yessire! I think, these old folks would have rolled over in their graves when their names are mentioned each time. I guess, golfers are truly passionate people who wants to have a great game at hand. It is a game of skills plus a huge dosage of pure luck. Some may argue that it is not the element of luck but rather practise makes perfect like this middle aged pompous old golfer who told me this when I shook his hand for a great birdie putt at Hole No.14. He was telling me that he had been playing golf  for the past 15 years to 20 years. To me, I was thinking of all the buggy fees, caddy fees and green fees he could have saved a whole lot for the past 15-20 years!!! So much for perfect shot! Still gotta pay green fees, caddy and buggy fees, right?  Anyway, I was there not to comment any of the play but to be an observer and occasionally congratulate a number of golfers who did well that day. It was quite good meeting up with new people and making new friends.

I have always enjoyed watching people and their antics. Even the ladies were not spared of golfing banters from the guys. Of course, the ladies were "gaya habis" with their apparels and what not. I guess, the craziest ever episode must be the one where a couple of guys and ladies ( fellow golfers from the early morning flight) were on their buggies serving their friends with beers during the game in the afternoon. Afterall, it was a hot afternoon indeed and a chilled beer could help, it seemed! Probably it was just a charity golf tournament, they could go crazy a bit with their friends. I am sure rules are indeed flouted when in a real games situation. I had a good laugh when one of the golfers who confided that he was not able to see where he had whacked the ball from the tee box and I had to tell him where his ball had landed. He actually made a birdie and told everyone that he played better when he is having his drinks and that cracked up his team players and the guest on buggies! What a joker indeed!

I have come to realise that the older golfers are the ones who are more sporting and easy going while the middle aged are quite pompous and reserved. The younger ones ( age & experience) are always short of patience and with tumultuous tempers. I had seen one young golfer who just whacked his ball away in frustration into the woods without having a thought for his team members when his putting went awry or did not go his way. Some just blamed the thick grass, or choosing the wrong club or even blame it on uneven green and worst still, some even blames the weather for being too hot. Well, to me, a bad carpenter always blame his tools! 

I also took the time to enjoy some of the nice flora around the golf course. Somehow, I did enjoy the nice , cooling scenery in the morning and the nice sound of birds and animals around the golf course. Truly was a great experience and the hospitality shown by the SGCC Captain, Mr. Sim was really greatly appreciated. 

All in all, I was tanned, hot and tired but I truly enjoyed my responsibilities that day.

No comments: