Saturday, December 12, 2015

The Reunion.....

The good people at the reunion....
After our wonderful morning escapade to Ranau and Kundasang, we had a mad rush back to Apang’s place in Telipok for shower and clothes change before THE night of the day – The Reunion! Luckily, we had some spare time to catch forty winks and refreshed ourselves before meeting friends and my ex-students of SMK Tenghilan. Though I know that I will be meeting one batch of students from the 1993 era, I wished I could have the whole lot from the 1989 – 1995 year joining in as well. It would have made a good ruckus then, I presume….hahahahahahaaaaaaaaa…..wonderful people….these ex-students of mine.
The guys....Jumin, Boe,Polodius,Paul, Jaini, Duanis,myself, Husni,
Japri, Julius E, Julius S, Henry & Delius
When I first received the invitation from the Organising Chairlady, Suzanne Winnie Ganggau, I was pleasantly surprised and excited. Of course, their inaugural one was held last year but I could not make it then as I was very much involved in the flood claims in Kuantan, Pahang and Kemaman, Terengganu. I was sad as my heart was always set in meeting up my ex-students and see for myself how they have been doing all these years. I must honestly admit that I wasn’t a good teacher as I was just young and freshly out of college but I was just doing my best by instilling good values of life and simple ways of life.
 
The women.....
I was determined for my students to do their best and I pushed them a lot though I quickly threw away all those things I learned in college about methodology, theories of teaching and what nots into the toilet and flushed them down quickly. I taught them English the way I knew how – the old fashioned way i.e. basics. I wasn’t a genius in adapting while resources are few but I quickly learned and just did my best. So, it was time to see how it did, right?
 
Well, I also must admit that I was nervous but thrilled to meet the ex-students as I walked towards the ballroom with SLing , Apang and Rusni in tow. First to greet me was my hockey player and centre half, Boe Sindolun. Wow! How much he has not changed and yet the ever steady fella I used to now. Then there was Jaini Kahar and a whole crowd of people in the ballroom.
My fellow colleagues (s) : Percy Johnny, Polodius Kaulod, Roimie Jospeh, Rusni Jitah Singh, Dalinah Banting, Hj.Suid Hanapi, myself and SLing
Organising Chairlady, Suzanne W.Ganggau
It was always, “ Cikgu kenal saya kah?” for a thousand times and my answer would be calling out their names and giving them a good hug – men and women alike. I guess, I shocked them just as they shocked me too. There was no language barrier nor physical barrier; it was just one night of lovely friendship all over again. I felt on top of the world seeing so many of them around. I was told by Suzanne that some of them could not make it due to prior engagement and other matters to attend to. I was like a proud father embracing all my children. Mind you , these are men and women in their 40’s and they looked absolutely good. Sure, you can’t expect them to be 18 or 20 shape , right? It is okay to be stretched and moulded just like everyone else  - that’s for sure.
MC for the night, Paul Tuin...
We mingled, we talked , we hugged and then songs were sang. Laughter and more conversation ensued making the whole event a truly wonderful event. There were speeches and I made mine too. I really had no words to say except to expressed my sincere thankfulness to the Organising Committee and the students. My heart was beaming with joyfulness and thankful feeling seeing each and everyone of them including my ex-colleagues in Percy Johnny, Roimi Joseph, Polodius Kaulod, Dalinah  Banting and Hj.Suid Hanapi.
Rosalia, SLing, Monie , myself and Suzanne.....lovely people
That night during one of the pockets of time, SLing came over and said to me, “ It is as though this event is your wedding! I have never seen you so happy! “. I just smiled and told her, “ I am so happy seeing them. So happy!” I genuinely loved each and every one of them because they are really special to me. From the naughtiest and funniest fella, Japri Stuh to the gentle soul in Maslinah Rak, I truly enjoyed this night with them. We chatted with one another and I felt for each and every one of them.
Winna, Benitah, Julius, Edward, Lina,Rosalia,Suzanne,Junainah,
Delius, Henry, Rina, Rusni & Angeline
 
It was good to know that everyone is successful in their own way and I am happy for them. It doesn’t matter what their occupation was or what their business was or even if they are not working. All that matters is that they are in good health and happy at heart. I am so glad that they could remember me, actually. Some of them related some naughty things I said to them that spurred them to work harder in life and motivated them. I was ashamed and I apologised for that but they accepted it as a means of motivation to do better ; I am glad!
Juliana, Maslinah Rak, SLing, myself, Julinah T & Lusia S
There was singing and there was the Sumazau dance. Sportingly, I joined in as I wanted to enjoy myself with the students too. It was fun and they do it well as I was trying to do my best. I really had no idea how to do it but I embarrassed myself probably but who cares – as long as I am happy, they are happy, that’s all that matters, right? Yeah, I made a mess out of the dance really……but I was truly entertained by their singing and dancing thereafter. I guess, that is what a reunion is all about – more mingling, more chats and more laughter.
Lucky Draw winners, Julinah T & Boe Sindolun
As I sat alone to catch my breath for the night, I marvelled at each and every one of my students. They have definitely come a long way from where they are…….so so so proud of them…For a moment my heart was filled with so much joy and I told myself , “ Ivan, you must have done something right this time in your life…..see those lives out there… these are beautiful and wonderful people..”. I was choked with emotions that night but it would look horrendously awful for a 50 year old to shed tears ,right? So, I did the best next thing – just inform SLing that I am very happy.
Lina, myself, Rusni Alim & Benitah Bilu
SLing had her moment when she gave a speech that she had not spoken so much Bahasa Melayu until our arrival in Kota Kinabalu and that had the students in stitches of laughter. She also continued that we spoke so much BM from the house to the places we visit and I added at the background that we also have to listen to Dusun songs as we were in the car with Apang & Rusni!  
Ziman & Rina Dakim family.....
As we bade farewell to one another on that night, I wished each and every one of them well. I know that they would surely be great people in their own special way. I am glad I have played a small part in their lives as they have surely made an impact in my life. It just goes to show you that you need not do big things nor reap big heaps of praises to be remembered. Sometimes, the quieter moments with people does bigger impact than such obvious.
To me, it is always the heart that matters most – never about glory, never about fame, never about popularity, never about being at the top. It is always the heart , love and humbleness that matters. Agreed?
Suzzanne Winie Ganggau - Angeline Durat - Lusia Steven - Paul Tuin - Julius Ebin - Husni Sharil - Rosalia Mamporok - Monie Newton - Rina Dakim - Boe Sindolun - Winna Garagad - Julinah Tanggaduh - Rusni Alim - Juliana Nain - Maslinah Rak - Henry Ujin - Lina Gunsalam - Delius Somiun - Durani Lojuti - Julius Sokodor - Jaini Kahar - Japri Stuh - Jumin Jalin - Edward John - Junainah Suin – Benitah Bilu – Roziman & family – Suid Hanapi – Percy Johnny – Roimi Joseph, Polodius Kaulod – Dalinah Banting – Rusni Jitah Singh – THANK YOU VERY MUCH !

 

No comments: