Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Baby clams delight.......

Father and daughter bonding....
“Tomorrow , we will go to Pengkalan Balak and dig ourselves some baby clams, shall we ?” This was my invitation to SLing and SYuen on Friday night after planting our bodies to the sofa seat. To be exact, SYuen was excited while SLing was apprehensive because she did not like the sun and the sticky feeling after a day out to the sea. In our household, a consensus and a majority decision must be met before any activity could be carried out. So, once again, the plan for baby clam hunting was debated and as I presented my case in the usual fashion of enthusiasm and with great diligence, a democratic vote of triumph was attained! The rest was as usual; very close that is 2 to aye and 1 to nay! So, Baby Clam Hunting which is on Agenda No.4 on the Weekly Foo Family Parliament Session was elevated to Agenda No.1 on Friday night due to the urgency of the matter and was democratically voted and passed as law in the Foo Family Parliament! Yee haa! Cowboy session but who cares, right? Better than Agenda No.1 – Sleep, Agenda No.2 – Rest and Sleep More and Agenda No. 3- Watch TV/ Korean Drama!
 
Mom & daughter bonding....
So, with the promise of waking up early and getting all hyped up that we need to get nasi lemak, drinks, fruits, kacang putih and all the other goodies, we went to bed with enthusiasm and anticipation filled our hearts. That Saturday, alas, we did not get up from our beds until 10.30am and we immediately told ourselves that we would be in contempt of the Foo Family Parliament Session if we do not do our Baby Clam Hunting activity! So, we grabbed a quick brunch at ASV Restaurant in Malim and then headed to local store, Cowboy Superstore to get a picnic mat and then get some fruits before heading home to prepare our utensils for our quest.

Equipped with drinks, food and SLing made cut-containers and small shovel from used detergent bottles, we were off to Pengkalan Balak. SYuen was excited as usual and we had both hoped that we would get good harvest of baby clams that day. I must give honour to God as the weather was cloudy and really good. It was extremely good to know that the weather was like that throughout the day.

SYuen and I having a good time.....
Upon arrival at the beach in Pengkalan Balak, we picked a shaded spot by the beach and started unloading our goodies onto the picnic mat. Then it was time for me and SYuen to head out to the beach to look for baby clams. There was an elderly Malay couple who was very warm to us and we exchanged pleasantries. We came to know that they were from Bahau and they would be at the beach two weeks once just to get away from their work and also to enjoy some time together at the beach. The wife was picking out baby clams ( She later told me her mother-in-law loved eating the baby clams! ) while the husband was doing some net fishing nearby. I just enjoyed watching the two elderly folks doing what they both like at their age and still having a bountiful harvest from the sea. It was really a good acquaintance.
 
The colourful baby clams....
Soon, SYuen and I started digging for the baby clams. The moment I would cherished the most was the time spent talking with SYuen. It was a moment whereby she was all smiles and enjoying herself as we both dug for the baby clams. My small container seemed to fill up nicely as I used the rolling waves to my advantage as I sieved through the sands for baby clams. By half an hour to 40 minutes, I was already having about 1 kg worth of baby clams while SYuen was having about 500g of baby clams. We both laughed and had fun at the beach while the rolling beach waves hit us. SYuen looked so happy and I could feel her happiness while SLing was happily lying down on the mat and listening to some worship songs.

Occasionally, SYuen and I would get on the mat to get our food and drinks. It was a great time of fellowship for us a family. I have not had such a time for such a long time. It was really great being able to spend some time with SYuen and SLing. Yeah, I missed the presence of my son, Joa Wee too. It would have been good, yunno.  I also wished I had brought my portable stove so that I could cook the clams straight away but I was hesitant as I had brought many items to the beach that day.  Anyway, all in all, we had picked about 4 kgs worth off baby clams that day. It wasn’t about the weight or the quantity but the quality time I had spent with my family.
 
Enjoying the fruits of my labour.....
I guess, I will always remember this special time because the memories spent here would be just awesome. The setting of the sea which I loved a lot and also, as the sun goes down that day, it was just another awesome sight indeed. The baby clams were so colourful and so different in size and yet they really colour up the plastic container that we had. I could have sworn that it was as though I could hear the baby clams calling out “ Cook me and eat me! Eat me! Eat me! “ that day. Yeah, the clams looked absolutely good as they are fresh but I would have to soaked them up with some fresh water so that they could expel out grit and sand. We don’t want grit and sand in our meal, right?

Yeah, the colourful baby clams in the container that day tells us about our lives which could be technicolour at times but we just needed to stay strong and persevere through every difficulties and pain. I guess, in many ways, I really love the bonding that day. It was just great to be able to spend time with family without having to have anything in mind. Just pure rest, relaxed  and good times with family. Sometimes, we all need to do that – Just chill out for a day and do something together as family.
 
Yummy baby clams - my creation...
By the way, if you should want to know of what had happened to the baby clams, well, they tasted real awesome in my mouth as I prepared them for the family late tea fare later the following afternoon. 

A good shot of olive oil, some chopped garlic, some chopped ginger, a small cup of water and two bird’s eyes chillies ,salt, pepper and a dash of sesame oil does the magic for these baby clams. The taste is truly stupendously good, okay?  Go and get yourselves some baby clams and enjoy that special bonding with your family. It doesn’t hurt to get something going for the family and baby clams hunting is one fine activity to keep the family strong, bonded and uplifted in spirits too.  I might not be a brilliant brainy man nor a wealthy man but I know that family time does wonders to your heart, soul and the family dynamics. That outstrips the wealth and all possessions of this world! 



No comments: