Saturday, January 6, 2018

Little Journeyman Cafe - Revisited

I must admit that I seldom miss eating at eateries I’ve been before but somehow when I am in my favourite town, Georgetown, Penang, my thoughts and culinary saliva would tend to lean and lead me to Little Journeyman Café. Yeah, I do miss the food at this place, I tell you. I try not to miss this place whenever I am in Georgetown but somehow, it has been elusive for me as I am either out of time or the company I am in wants to get a quick fix on food and be on the go.

So, this time, as I am on holiday, I made sure that my family make time to get to my favourite restaurant, Little Journeyman Café. When my family and I made reservations to have dinner there, I was really anticipating a real treat of food and I must say, without a shadow of doubt, that I was served with great food and truly remarkable gastronomical food fare.

My family ( SLing, SYuen, JWee, Felicia, my sister, Lee Lee and I ) started out by ordering the Batter Mushroom, Duck Arabiatta , Linguine Vongole, Chorizo sausage with pasta and tomato, Pulled Pork Panini sandwich and Fatty Potato. Yup, we were like hungry bunch of family on a mission to fill out stomachs! You bet, it would be a night to remember for us.
Batter Mushroom

Interiorly, the café had been repainted and the bright colors suited the café well enough. It was bright and I like the soft tone of the lights while the Christmas decorations most certainly lifted up our food expectations for this place. For me, I was wondering if LJM café chefs would be able to replicate the exact same deliciousness that I have had the last time I was at the café. Honestly, I really need that “WOW” factor in my food when it comes to café as I want to really have a great experience in the food that I indulge in. I want to be “wow-ed” as there is just too many cafés out there dishing out sub-standard food at exorbitant prices. I pulled no punches when I say that some of these cafés are just out to get your money without having a single interest in knowing what one’s interest nor food flavour of times. 
Chorizo sausage with pasta & tomato alredo

Yeah, I am well aware that these are hard times and cafes are also affected by ever growing competition and the ever increase in raw ingredients, herbs, spices and meats. I must say, I am all and sympathetic towards café owners predicament in such matters but all I am asking for is for café owners to conscientiously serve good, tasty and well-proportioned food.    

Yes, I am well aware that “one man’s food is another man’s poison” thingy but the basics has got to be right. You get what I mean. I’ve had some of the best food at street corners, sidewalk vendors, push carts and even shoulder carried stoves. What makes food great is the heightening of our sensors by the intoxicating aromas of the amalgamation of herbs, spices and even the feast on the eyes when the food is served. Of course, the taste – the delicate balance of sweet, sour, salty, tangy, refreshing………you get what I mean, right?
Duck Arabiatta....yummy
Anyway, the first dish to arrive at our table was the Batter Mushroom. The minute my daughter, SYuen saw this, she was in her mode as she loves mushrooms. Those golden brown batter mushrooms looked delightful and crispy enough. I must say that the seasoning was just right and the mushroom taste was not lost at all. The mushrooms weren’t dry out while they still retained their moistness and shape. Those little morsels are a real treat, I tell you! Truly one of the loveliest appetizer I’ve ever eaten. It is really a good dish and my family enjoyed this very much. When it is good , you must say it is good, right? No need to beat around the bush,actually.
Linguine vongole....look at those clams....lovely

Then came our other orders of Duck Arrabiatta, Chorizo sausage with pasta and tomato alfredo, Linguine Vongole and last but not least, Pulled Pork Panini. When the food came in quick succession, I find it refreshingly envigorating as the smell from the foods were really lovely. As usual, all of us tried out each other's food and it was really great. I like the linguine vongole as the clams were fresh and the taste was really good. JWee and Felicia enjoyed this very much. It was really delightful and packed with goodness.

As I savor my Chorizo sausage with pasta and tomato alfredo, I must say that the dish was simply out of this world. The spicy and smoky Chroizo sausage meat was absolutely spot on with the tomato alredo. The freshness just kicks in the minute you sample that distinct Chorizo sausage. Then the reddish goodness of the tomato alfredo just waters your palate very nicely indeed. The subtle yet sweet sourish tomato alredo makes it all a classy dish indeed. The tomato alfredo gives so much accomplishment to the pasta dish. I love it. I truly truly love this dish a lot. My sister, Lee Lee liked the duck arrabiata a lot too as we continue to grab away the succulent duck slices off her plate whenever we need some silky goodness to accompany our dishes. The balance of taste is so important and the finesse of the chef preparing this dish is truly remarkable and a feast to the eyes.

Pulled pork panini.....absolutely delicious....
The Pulled Pork Panini is another dish that one must get when dining in this cafe. The pulled pork is absolutely delicious and tasty. The freshness of the bread together with fresh vegetables make this a crowd puller dish indeed. The nicely sauteed and caramelised onions together with the overflowing goodness of the pulled pork makes this a real winner sandwich. The portion was just now and it is really nice.

Last but not least was the Fat Potato dish comprising of the potatoes and sauce. The crispiness of the fried potato coated with thick batter make this one irresistible dish. Yeah, the oil would probably clogged your arteries but the taste is heavenly la...... 
My empty plate says it all, isn't it?

Now, you would probably be thinking if this is going to burn a big hole in my wallet, right? I must be honest to tell you that it is a reasonable cafe which serves pretty good food and gives you a great place to dine in peace too. Yes, the price is right and the portions are right too. This place gives you that comfortable and familiar food feel. I am here because of the fair price and the really good tasting food. 

Come on! Don't miss this place when you are in Georgetown, Penang. For me, I went back to my sister's place as one satisfied bear indeed.  See you soon again, Little Journeyman Cafe!  

No comments: