Friday, September 22, 2017

Chub Cheeva Cafe & Restaurant

When my family and I was dropped off at Naebkehadt Road in Hua Hin by our taxi driver, Wirut, we were really in a daze as what was there in a street like this. When our taxi driver, Wirut told us to get our lunch at a rather weird looking place and I looked at him quizzically but Wirut had assured me that he had dropped me off at the right place. He kept smiling and pointed his finger at the quint looking place which I thought looked weird and like any other unfamiliar neighbourhood.

In my usual questioning mode, I looked around and noted some sparsely parked m/cars along the road and I was thinking to myself if Wirut, my taxi driver , was nuts due to the blistering heat. Anyway, we were greeted by a real pleasant staff who immediately ushered us into a building on the left which was presumably the cafe and we hesitantly went in despite having our reservation if there would be any food left. Our fears and uneasiness were immediately quashed by the pleasantries exchanged and the great calming gesture of the staff in the cafe. There was 2 women and one guy in the cafe. The staff immediately brought us the menu and we were quite in a bind as communication was quite confusing.
The staff tried her best to tell us of their best dishes and so on but we were like chicken and duck talk though but I love her patience and her efforts in us. Then Q , the owner, came to our rescue and subsequently took our orders for lunch. He spoke very good English and his knowledge of the food was impeccable. It was such a relief and we ordered 3 dishes namely Thai Green Curry, Bacon & Sausage Fried Rice and Basil Pork rice. 

While waiting for the dishes to arrive , we had a chat with Q and I must say that I am very impressed with the passion and heart of this young man and his staff. It is definitely not easy to survive out there in Hua Hin town despite not having much exposure of the cafe - Chub Cheeva Cafe but with the exposure in social media such as Trip Advisor, Face book and a few others, this cafe came alive.

I guess, this is the type of cafe that comes our way by the word of mouth. After a few minutes speaking with Q, he would struck you as a suave talker but in all honesty, he is a very sincere cafe owner. His aspirations, his passion for his cafe to succeed and the ideas for the town of Hua Hin to progress further are truly applaudable. I believe, the honesty of a cafe owner is through his food fare.  I told Q that I would give his cafe a fair review once I have finished my meals and when I get back home. Now, I am doing that review of Chub Cheeva Cafe.

Chub Cheeva Cafe is truly a rustic and fun place interiorly. The olden times cushion ( yellow/blue colored sofa and black sofa set )  adorned the front section of the cafe atop lacquered timber boards flooring making one feel as though they are part of one of the early days TV sitcom .
The ceiling is nicely fitted with lovely lamp shades and there are also the lovely kettle light fittings. The brick walls are eloquently lacquered and painted with yellow and black paint at one side. The walls are filled with assortment of paraphernalia from the pass and the reverence portrait of the King is also noted at the shelves on the walls. The seats and glass tables in the cafe were also lovely and comfortable. The place permeates the atmosphere of  peace and tranquility.  I honestly like the feel of the cafe. That rebel yet rustic and challenging modern feel. I like the playfulness of the interior decor. There is a bar counter top on the right side and the bar is white in color. The cafe is playfully enriched with the checkered black and white vinyl tiles and very thoughtfully designed out.
The food arrived and moment of truth about the food.
The Thai Green Curry was heavenly! I really love the richness and the lovely spices including the amalgamation of fresh coconut milk taste to the dish. The small but crunchy aubergines, the lovely pork pieces, basil and freshly cut red chillies made this dish a truly wonderful dish indeed. The taste was very good and I strongly recommend that one should order this dish when in Chub Cheeva Cafe. To accompany this dish, we had the Bacon & Sausage Fried Rice which was very lovely in taste and the grains of rice were evenly coated with the velvetry egg white and yolk companion.
Thai Green Curry - Chub Cheeva Cafe style
The taste of bacon or rather the oil from the bacon usually overpowers the rest of the ingredients but this fried rice is not too overpowering in bacon taste but just blended nicely with the sausages and the egg. I believe that the fried rice was cooked over a very steady fire before being cranked up to high heat to ensure that the evenly coating of the egg and retaining the fragrance of the egg before plating up.  Then came the Basil Pork Rice. SLing and Syuen enjoyed this dish very much. They told me that the spices and the basil taste exuberates through the minced pork making it such a lovely dish. I tasted the dish and I believe they are right. It is really a refreshing dish and the minced pork tasted awesome. If you are ever in Chub Cheeva Cafe, you better not miss these three dishes!
Bacon & Sausage Fried Rice
Basil Pork Rice



The Bar Counter and the playful checkered vinyl tiles
To top of our lunch, I had a slice of chocolate brownie with whipped green and Americano coffee. I couldn't have asked for more as it was my birthday that day.  I am truly blessed by the experience and the hospitality extended to me and my family at this cafe by Q and his staff. I truly loved the experience at the cafe and the thoughtfulness extended to me and my family.

The coffee is freshly brewed, satisfying and truly aromatic. I love the bitter end bit which I get after having a sip. Great coffee, indeed. I am particular about sour bit in my coffee but I did not find this in the Americano served to me. Truly enjoyed the coffee.As for the chocolate brownie, it was lovely and I get to taste the rich chocolate  in it. Truly lovely - no other words to add.

All in all, my family and I truly love our experience at Chub Cheeva Cafe despite our initial hesitation but once service starts and the food is rolled out, this is truly a good and honest cafe.

Many times patrons of cafe are made to look like idiots paying over priced menus and drinks and getting a sticky end of the bargain. I truly believed that Chub Cheeva Cafe serves fusion of authentic Thai and Western food out there. I love Thai food and I know a good one when I taste one. I truly like the service, attitude and the hospitality shown by Q and his staff which are essential in the food industry and it shows in their food, table service and attention to clients needs. So, BRAVO to Chub Cheeva Cafe for putting up with us that day and it was a real pleasure having the opportunity to enjoy your food.

Like I said to Q, I am not writing this for their leverage or to boost up their ratings or whatsoever.  I just wanna give a fair and just review. This man and his staff had worked hard to make it in the competitive food industry. I believe the cafe do deserve the credits that are due to them. I can only write honestly about my experience which I have done many times. BTW, if you are ever wondering if I get any "special privilege" , I want to put your mind at rest that there is no free food from the cafe for me to write this either. I paid for my meals in full just like any other patrons/client to this cafe,ok?

Like I said, a good cafe deserves their share  of getting people to know. Now you know that you have a great cafe to go to when you are in Hua Hin.

To Q and his two lovely ladies that day, THANK YOU so much for the food and the hospitality shown and THANK YOU for making a 52 year old man a very happy bloke!

KAP KHUN KA, Chub Cheeva Cafe!


No comments: