Monday, April 6, 2020

Covid-19 - Lighter side

Every morning since CNY 2020 and then towards mid-March, 2020, the printed news and the electronic media are constantly bombarded with news of Covid-19 pandemic. It’s cold, depressing, gloomy and sad news of what is happening around us but it didn’t really hit you until it hit your shores, isn’t it? While Wuhan and other parts of China were fighting tooth and nail over the sudden burst of COVID -19 pandemic situation, we could only watch, pray and hope it doesn’t hit us that bad, right? Well, it did and here we are in our MCO and still there are people who would defy the ban on the MCO. I can’t think of a more barbaric word to describe such people but I am constantly reminded to “mind my language” and be civil. Bah! Not that I have to mimic Doraemon voice or wear make up or even to giggle like some school girl to catch any attention, RIGHT? So, I believe, I am alright staying at home. Hey,hey,hey, I am trying to get the 6 packs, 8 packs or 12 packs or whatever but hey, Round is a shape, okay? By the way, I thought 6 packs was for beers or apple ciders ,man. Round is the BESTEST!

To me, it is kinda ironic that in every day work, I wished I could have days like that and when it actually came to pass, I often wonder how will I cope with it. Well, I survived not kicking my better half out of the house. ( I’m joking! I can’t. It’s MCO period, remember?) All the “sweet” chattering, instructions, commands and so-call advices are so subtle to the ears but deafening to the soul, man. You can get “deaf” occasionally but not very long. Somehow, you get the feeling that you are “not wanted” in the house feeling, you get that too? Good for you. Welcome to the club of hubbies getting clobbered physically, socially and mentally. However, I must say that all these are taken in with great humour and a very open mind. (Damn! Those pesticides shops ain’t opened yet, isn’t it?)

Anyway, when I actually need to get in to work, I felt like it’s different. With the masks and the restricted distancing and so on, I often wonder if it is just dollars and sens that matters or it is just another excuse to make us work during this MCO lockdown. I often ask this question in my heart and mind, “ Don’t our lives matter to anyone?” Of course, I have a lot of respect and admiration for the real frontliners out there like the nurses, doctors, bread man, police personnel, grocery stores, departmental stores people and all that. I also have a lot of respect and admiration for the work we do but I do hate pencil pushers or rather lip servicers. Try watching “Undercover Boss” sometime and learn some things or two of what it means to be at the bottom ladder rather than the top rung!  Sure, bottom line of the company matters and the other excuses just made it simplier and more “convenient” to our brains to get to work. I dunno if its to cover some high paying people’s ass paycheck or what but it does not make sense to risk people’s lives like that. I guess, every one has a sanity line at times. 

Anyway, let’s get to some good parts, shall we? Well, during the MCO, I have had the opportunity to watch some pretty good K-Drama like Kingdom 2 ( I love the history serials or drama! Watched most of the historical K-drama already ), Live, Warm & Cosy, Crash Landing On You, The Fiery Priest, Dr Romantic, most of the doctors dramas, Designated Survivor , Live and  movies like Dunkirk, The Darkest Hour, USS Indianapolis , Overcomer, Courageous , All Saints , Miracle at Cell No.7 ( a moving and heartfelt Turkish movie. Believe me, it is a good movie! ) and other movies of interest. Anything for  good entertainment and relaxation, actually. NETFLIX can be quite interesting too especially with the movie fares and the dramas. I guess, I have put some discoloration and dent bump onto the 2 seater cushion that I sat while watching the movies/dramas. With a cup of cooled drink like iced tea or coffee or even cold chilled plain water plus some crackers or snacks, this is the rare luxury of life, people. For me, watching a drama or a movie can be intense as you must get absorbed with the main characters of the drama/movie or movie plan as it does show you the human side of people. We can learn a lot from these human side drama or not to repeat the mistakes made by these people. I have also learned in reality that sometimes, people just needed one break in their lives to be successful like AGT, BGT, XFactor, The Voice or even Australia Got Talent shows.  I have also watched Undercover Boss, Secret Millionaire, Undercover Billionaire or Acts of Kindness ( Youtube clips ) which to me ; helped me see a lot of things in perspective and in reality. Yeah, take some time during the MCO to get on the Youtube to see these clips or better still , try helping others who are in need during the MCO like buying groceries or getting meals for the elderly.

The other lighter side of the MCO is I get to hone my cooking skills. Yup, all those hidden and dead buried cooking skills were “unearthed” ( meaning wife gently elevated some form of pressure and coaxed diligently with some veiled threats! ) for the better good of the family. Sure, I can cook but I don’t really know if the two women ( my wife and daughter ) in my house can eat it! Hahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaa……… Yeah, I tried my best to cook up a storm of variety of food I know how. Thank God! Both of the women had NOT been to the hospital! Been cooking mee goreng pedas, Mamee mee goreng, ABC soup and BBQ pork & onions filling for wraps thus far. They were a hit ( Yes, the women folk in my family says so! ) and I am trying to end on that winning note so far. Hopefully, I won’t get to do much more cooking.

The other thing I wanna mention is the time when I do get to go to the supermarket to get some groceries. It was really a happening day for me. I would fill the cart with what I believe SLing would be able to cook and what we would all enjoy. I know, we got to keep our distance and it was all done very well. I guess, Malaccans are more discipline in that matter but I was jokingly chided by SLing for spending  1½ hours at the supermarket – my excuse was that, well, I had many things to consider and many things to get and it’s like I am trying to jam all the information in my head on what to buy and so on. I don’t want to slip up and it would be a long time before I get to go out! Yeah, they are right. Men can be quite hopeless in getting the marketing list done because they are mainly “shot” at the main entrance of the supermarket with a temperature gun and poof! They forget the groceries list already! ( Cilakak! Mak Kiah also can’t help already! ) I was like trying to remember as much as I could and I could have sworn that the security guard was looking at me intently as though knowing that I have been in the supermarket for such a long time!

Then there’s this Zoom thing we did with our cell group members ( Hey, cell group members doesn’t mean we are some terrorist group, okay? Lest you have some funny ideas! Good Christian group meeting  la! ) Though it can be quite chaotic at first but to get to see each other after some time of not meeting up can be a really wonderful experience. We got to sing worship songs, learn the Word, gave our own testimony of what we did and we prayed for one another. I believe, it is important for us to stay “sane” by being in “contact” with people. It helps for us to feel together and united in a way in our fight against Covid 19 pandemic.  It is also a way for us to help one another in times of need such as delivery groceries , helping to purchase groceries or even help in any way with one another. That support system is so important during this time of lockdown. I am so grateful for the initiative of Dinesh, our leader and also our church, City Community Church (CCC)  to get us all connected in that way and to help each other out in any way we could. 

The other point I want to say is that I get myself hydrated more often and it is something that I enjoyed the most. Drinking plain water more often has helped me get hydrated and refreshed in a way. It has been very hot weeks but drinking water helped a lot. I guess, we, Malaccans, are unfortunate in a sense that with the MCO in force, we also had water rationing which could be quite uncomfortable to us. Thank God, good discipline and good sense prevailed amongst the Malaccans and we are going through it rather smoothly. So, do take in more plain water and get hydrated well in these blistering hot weather,ok?

My thoughts are really for the frontliners out there. Their sacrifices and dedication are truly commendable and a thankless job indeed. I wish more people would heed to the MCO instead of screaming their heads off at the police or at people enforcing the MCO. Don’t blame them. They are just carrying out their orders and if you want to blame anyone, blame the Minister in charge for not giving clear instructions or conflicting instructions. Yeah , I find the instructions given to be ambiguous, conflicting and confusing at times. Everyone had to get a grip of things and put in instructions clearly and precise. 

To the doctors and nurses, you are the frontline  heroes indeed. Your services and dedication are always in our hearts and mind. To the other Good Samaritans like Pastor Jit Pang in Kluang, NGO food providers everywhere ,  Food Panda Ipoh ( well done & thank you ! ) and many other organisations helping out the people, A BIG THANK YOU and God bless each and every one of you! You people are the “unseen” heroes each day and may many more MALAYSIANS wake up to help you rather than be racist and revel in putting down others in this time of difficulties for the nation. Afterall, we are MALAYSIAN, together forever!

No comments: