Sunday, April 19, 2020

Read on...

I have learnt over the years that when you are involved in a church ministry like I am, you learnt a lot about people and what makes them tick in their element. Like I said, I am always intrigue and fascinated with people and their very essence of their character. I must say that I am glad and blessed working with a group of dedicated individuals who doubled up as teachers in the Children Ministry of our church. I must honestly admit that sometimes it is hard for me to juggle between work, family and ministry but one thing I’ve learn very preciously is that there is a whole lot of satisfaction at the end of a good Bible lesson teaching to children. I just can’t describe it to you but it is like you have this enormous gladness in your heart that the children had had a time of learning and fun with you. Sure, you’ll be extremely exhausted after teaching the children but I guess, the awaiting reward from above outstripped the physical body tiredness. Hey, I am not that good in what I am doing for there are far better people in the field but at least, I will try to do my best. That’s what I can do, at least.  

To me, I guess, the enormous responsibility of not leading these children astray or to teach something which is not right in our faith seemed to weigh heavily on my shoulders each time. I believe, as teachers to the young children and of the Word, we are to be correct, caring, giving and fun. Honestly, the children can be a handful at times with their own antics, likes and dislikes but come to think of it, we are all like that, isn’t it? The only difference is that adults tend to be “diplomatic” in their criticism and “accommodating” in their ways while children are more fervently blunt, straightforward and honestly crude at times but honestly, that’s how I like it. At least , they are brave and not timid or else the bullies are gonna have a field day with them! That’s why these children’s lives are so important at this stage and to walk them through the right path of life in the early years of their lives are so crucial and important. I am blessed being able to work with talented and good hearted people like  Dinesh, Suk Vooi, Joo Li, Loreen, SLing, Sharon, Stephanie, Abby and so many others in the Children Ministry. They are really wonderful, full of enthusiasm and energetic. However , it can be tiresome days but nevertheless a rewarding one when the children remember you as their Sunday School teacher when they grow up. 

The other thing I learnt getting involved in this ministry is the work we need to put in prior to teaching the children. I have learnt that when it is my turn to teach the children, I learn a whole lot more about the Word in the Bible and the greater understanding of the Word. I guess, it is God’s way to teach this old fool fella! It is really very enriching, engaging and poignant when one engages the Word and seeking the Lord’s understanding of the Word. I find it especially satisfying when I learn a new perspective of the Word or a new angle of how to teach the Word and so on. I guess, to people of the Christian faith, things can be pretty enriching indeed.

This week’s lesson is on “The Good Samaritan”, one of the most popular parables and story in the Bible. This parable is a very well-known parable for those in the Christian faith and one of the most talked about parable defining the most faith challenging provocation of heart and mind on the topic, “Who is my neighbour?”. There is so much to learn from this parable and while we do have our own constricted and views of what it meant to each individuals, I beg of you to allow yourself to explore the surroundings to the situation, indepth thought of the condition of the heart and a time of great reflection of who we really at this time as we go through the verses from Luke 10: 29-37. Needless to say, for a person like me, I ran through every piece of information I could get my hands on and I read a lot of Bible commentaries verse by verse, sifting through the very scrap of information from Bible scholars on each verse but I found that yielding to the Lord to enlighten your spiritual vision of what was to unveil was surely the best. I must say, each one to their own personal walk with God, each individual experience is different but the core essence of truth, honesty and the indepth message remained the same. For me, it is always, what do I bring to myself and to others after reading through this portion of the Scripture. This is my end goal.

Primarily speaking for myself, I tend to paint a picture, rather, a full scene of cinematic colours and spectrum in my imagination as I read the Scripture or the Word. I can’t digress or digest when I just read the Word. I needed that pictorial view of the Word or the “scenes” as I called it.  In that way, I could imagine myself standing at the side and watching the entire Word of the Bible being laid out before me in a dramatic fashion for me to envision the scene. To me, I feel the full embrace of the impact of the Word. In that way, my understanding of the Word is embedded in my heart and mind. Along the way in my own world, I would have lots of questions and embraced the full emotions of watching a scene unfold. In my inquisitive ways, I would pour myself into research and learning the intrinsic value of the Word rather than just the head knowledge. To me, the head knowledge is less important than the heart knowledge. To me, the heart knowledge invoked the very compassion and realness of you. What’s the use to have all the head knowledge in the world but no heart knowledge, right? In a way, we need a good balance la, really. I guess, I learnt the Word better that way and with the Lord’s guidance along the way. Honestly, there are no hard and fast rule on reading and understanding of the Word. Like I said, each to their own style, perception and ways of understanding the Word. The important part is that the Word impacts you and made a change in you simply because it is you that matters. When you start the change, you will affect lives closest to you, around you and the greater circle in others. That’s for sure!

So, in this period of MCO, clear the dust off your good ol’ Bible and take a good and hard peek into those Scriptures and start to enjoy the “movie” in your head and mind. From the mysteries and answers to be sought and there are jewels of life to be unearthed. Book of Genesis to the Book of Revelation, there are stories to be told. There are technicolors of the spectrum of life to be experienced and the quantum solace of emotions and heartfelt feeling all bundled up in an experience of a lifetime. Sound like some vacation brochure, right? Well, I find it to be that way for me. So, let’s go for an enjoyable “vacation of life”, shall we? 

No comments: