Sunday, August 12, 2012

Strength from within....

There are days in your life that you just count your blessings and I guess, today was the day I felt that way. Today, as I walked out of church after service, I didn't know where to go or what to do but somehow, after lunch with blessed family in On Tin and Bee Ling, we decided to pay a visit our family friend, Dorin. Today, I could never describe to you how I feel but I just want to say that my heart was wrenched to the fullest as my family and I visited Dorin's mother who was stricken with tongue cancer. Each day we lament and shout at the top of our lungs about our sufferings and daily painful afflictions but I believed none compared to the extreme pain suffered by my friend's mother. I have learnt that my problems and afflictions are so trivial and so menial compared to this elderly woman's sufferings. To have a drink or even to swallow some liquid food are itself a challenge and a relief.

I must say that my family and I have come in contact with Dorin's mom since we started attending Bachang CG many years ago. Those days, auntie was a tough cookie when it comes to talking to her about the Word or even getting her to share a meal with us after our CG sharing. Despite her tough stand, she was pleasant to me and my family, I must say. I am blessed in many ways to be able to speak to her though her stoic defensive wall was always up and on guard irrespective of who may be talking to her. I must admit, it wasn't easy speaking to her because she was so bitter with life and she felt that life had treated her and her family so harshly. I know for a fact that despite her defensive wall, she loved Dorin's children very much. However, I guess, the Word shared during our countless meetings there had landed on good grounds of her heart and she finally accepted the Lord as her personal Saviour not long ago. I remembered Dorin sharing this with us and the joy filled our hearts. It was an overwhelming joy as it has been such a long time. Then sometime a month ago, Dorin broke this news to me of her mom's condition. At that time, I had promised to come by and pray for her but I was really caught up with a lot of matters that I had forgotten until Bee Ling mentioned it today. So, we decided to pay auntie a visit today. Finally, when I walked into the house to see auntie today, my tears fell streaming down and my heart was filled with such a sense of pain. Here lies a fragile little lady on her bed but in high spirits in seeing us. She could not speak clearly due to the bloated tongue but she was in cheery mood. There weren't any dry eyes at the back section as we greeted her. Bee Ling and I held here hands and we wept as we prayed for her. I must confess I was so devastated seeing her in her frail frame that I could not pray while Bee Ling was gracious enough to speak in Hokkien and prayed for her. Later, Bee Ling prayed in English and I could see that auntie was calm and peaceful. As I was on my knees, I held her hands throughout our prayers and I prayed in my heart  for God to grant her relief in the state she is in. It is hard for me to imagine a fiery and active auntie ( She's 80 plus ) who does a lot of gardening and helping around in the house tiredly laid down on the wooden bed in her frail frame. I know that she is small in size but she certainly had gone so much thinner from the last time I saw her. My heart also goes out to Dorin who is such a strong -willed woman. If there was any other woman whom I respected much apart from my mom, it is Dorin. She has been a wonderful mother to her three children and she worked so hard to keep her family alive literally. A woman of few words, strong-willed and tenaciously hardworking, my heart goes out to her too. All the juggling of mother, family and work must have been a great stress to her. My heart goes out to her and as we prayed for Dorin , I cried out to God to strengthen her and to grant her peace, joy and love in her heart for what she has to go through. For all the years I have known Dorin, she had always been concerned for her family. Such a wonderful mother! In my chapter of life, when and if I have the opportunity, one day to share or to speak about the sacrifices of a mother, the story of  Dorin will always be my shinning example. Such was her sacrifice and it is truly a blessing. That afternoon, Dorin treated us with yuca ( ubi kayu ) treats such a boiled plain  yuca and steamed yuca cake. Those treats brings back a lot of great memories.

We talked for a while and soon, we left the house but not before saying our goodbyes to auntie. I told Dorin to stay strong and be strengthened. Dorin looked at me , smiled and replied " Yes, I will, Ivan." Yunno, in times like this we can only offer our presence, our support and our prayers. So, I hope that in your quiet times today, please spare a thought for Dorin's mother. Pray for the release of relief to auntie and strength, patience and love for Dorin. I would be most grateful, my friends. Thank you!

No comments: