Thursday, March 28, 2013

Private Hospital crap....

The other day, I took my daughter the private hospital for a medical condition and it was already late night. Exhausted from the tedious outstation travels I had to make for my work that day, I quickly showered, plunged some food in the mouth and sent her to a private hospital for her gastric problem. It wasn't a complex problem and she had had this before. Usually, the gastric problem came because she had not eaten on time as she should be or regularly as she should. 

In my state of exhaustion/tiredness but still very alert in the mind, SLing and I decided to take her to the nearest private hospital for some treatment as she had complained of stomach ache and so on. Afterall, most clinics are closed by that time. If I had a choice, I wouldn't have picked this private hospital and that's a FACT! Upon arrival at the ER, we were attended by a nurse who took SYuen's BP and so on. This was normal and there was a  good 5 or 6 nurse drooling over the "doctor" on duty. I just thought it was a normal thing for them to "drool" and do small talks and whatever they wanted but service was really slow that night. BTW, the so-called "doctor" wasn't a Tom Cruise or a Matt Damon either. So, I really don't know what the attention was all about.  SYuen was asked to lie down on the usual ER bed and it was minutes later that the "doctor" went in to check her. I nudged SLing to go to SYuen's side and get some explanation from the so-called "doctor" dressed in maroonish purple attire with white word across which read " Medical Officer". Within minutes too, he was out and SLing was out and I had asked SLing what had happened and what was the diagnosis. SLing replied she did not know either and the "doctor" was writing furiously on the pad at the Nurses Counter as the nurses laughed and spoke to themselves. 

The next minute, I saw them walking to SYuen's bed and started to do some procedures and so on. I was startled and my blood temperature started to hit the ceiling when I saw them preparing drips and even telling SLing that they will be taking some blood samples for analysis. This made me mad indeed. I told the nurses to stop the drips and I will get an explanation from the "doctor". I told the nurses that it was a simple gastric problem. It wasn't a death -threatening problem or a serious problem. For crying out loud, she had a gastric problem! A simple gastric problem. One of the nurses spoke in BM in a harsh tone that if I don't want this procedure it is okay . It is just the doctor's orders and so on. I told the nurses that this is a gastric problem and not some complicated case. More so the doctor should have the courtesy to explain to us what he is trying to do instead or just ordering this and that to be done without even consulting/explaining us. I mean, I am no uneducated fool nor a pompous educated clown but at least have the courtesy to tell us what you are trying to do so that we could understand it. One of the nurse then called the doctor who came out with his pompous little ass attitude and told me straight in my face that if I don't want the drips, he can take it off. and mumbled something incoherently. I asked him why does my daughter need the drips and what has he administered or recommend for treatment. I even told him that this was a simple gastric problem and not some life endangering situation. I asked him to explain to me and SLing. He took one look at my face and started to change his tone when I gave him the "dead man" face.  He then explained that the drips are for the vomits and he would be administering the painkiller and so on. He mumbled through his surgical mask as if I wanted to see his face but I could not hear what he was saying. Later on, he went to the counter and wrote some prescription for my poor daughter whom I would call a guinea pig of the medical system. Such irresponsibility and he calls himself a doctor! I wonder , just how many patients and family had suffered under such irresponsible doctor!  

I was short of telling him that I have the privilege of knowing some of the finest doctors in Melaka who would not treat their patients that way. At least, the ones I know would take the trouble and have audicity to explain to me what they are trying to do and how the medication would be administered. It is just so embarrassing and frustrating to meet one who is a stooge to the private hospital system and an embarrassment to himself, who made a real ass and fool out of himself. 

The worst part of all was that the bill came to an astounding RM 300plus which included the charges for the ER bed, the drips which was open but not used, consultation fees,  hospital charges, charcoal pill, Gaviscon bottle, paracetamol pills and one more type of pill! PLEASE , tell me if this is fair to our family. Does private hospital ever care of saving lives or just another money garnering/pocket filling medical institution whose charges exhorbitantly for their services? You be the judge. If the night was still young, I would have gone to Klinik Pandhu or any other clinic for that matter and got the same medication for a fraction of that cost! Probably, I would have gone to the ER of the General Hospital.At least, the doctors there still take the trouble to speak to you and explain to you on your situation,right?       

No comments: