Monday, April 1, 2013

Stall talk....

This morning, I stopped by at my favourite roti canai stall to enjoy my ritualistic roti canai fare as usual. I couldn't miss the irresistible draw of the crunchy yet less oily Malaysian favourite breakfast delicacy. As usual, the stall was packed with the early crowd and I sought out a place to sit beside a white-haired old Malay man who seemed to enjoy his meal. I nodded and asked if I could sit with him at the table and he gladly and warmly offered me a seat. After some small talk and pleasantries, Pak Bakar started the conversation on the blistering heat and stupendously hot weather these days. I echoed the same and that started the conversation. 

I guess, in many ways, I easily fit into his conversation as he spoke on what to eat in the morning except for the Malaysian favourites like nasi lemak, roti canai, mee goreng and so on. He went on to comment about some places nearby who sold these nice breakfast fares but somehow, they have lost the lustre of preparing it the old ways. It was an interesting conversation when he spoke of the old ways in preparing these favourite fares. He wasn't a boastful man like most people at stalls would do as he merely informed of the ways of the food preparation in the old ways. I guess, it was interesting those days and how true that food prepared in the old/traditional ways always tasted much better. I caught a few tips or two from him in regards to preparing nice assam fish, nasi lemak and cili garam fish - some of favourite dishes, actually.

Like all conversations, it slowly drifted to family and so on. I came to know that he had six children and he wasn't on good terms with the eldest son in the family. He looked pained each time he mentioned about his son. Slowly but surely, I managed to extract from this man on why the relationship was strained. It was sad to learn that due to a superstitions of the olden days, the son was sent to be with his grandma very early in his life and the relationship was strained further. I guess, the son felt the rejection very early in life and that probably would have scarred him with rejection.I don't know why but I told this old man that it is never too late to re-concille with his son. I even took the trouble to tell him that eventhough we may be old, if we don't say sorry for things we have not made right in our lives especially this one, life would not get any better. He looked at me stunned for a while. I continued telling him that if God forgives us for so many of our imperfections, why wouldn't he do the same with his son and re-concilled as a family? Boldly, I told him that it doesn't make us , the old ones , any lesser a man if we are to apologise for our wrong choices/actions. I was ready for a backlash from this old man but surprisingly, it did not come. Instead, I got an old man looking intently at me and as though waiting for more to come. I took the courage and told him that every child born in this world wants to be loved and need love. How could  we not give that and be a part of their lives? We should not spoil them but we should teach them the principles of God. I told him gladly too that I am a Christian and though I may not be much of a father but I would love and sacrificed my life for my children as they are a gift from God. He looked at me intently and then he told me that I gave better answer than some of his fellow brothers. I don't know what it meant but he sure looked genuinely lighted up by what I have just said. All the while , I prayed in my heart, "Lord, thank you for the boldness. Thank you! "

BTW, I also did tell him that all this superstitions and "tilik nasib" are nonsense and a bunch of lies concocted by soothsayers and people who are not of God's kingdom. I told him point blank that these things are karut, irresponsible and life damaging indeed.We should get rid of these things from our lives and start believing God. I didn't realised that there were so many people sitting around us. Some gave me a smile. Some gave me the thumbs up and some just looked at me unimpressed. Well, whatever it is , I have spoken from my heart. That's all that matters. I paid for the food, wished Pak Bakar well and before I leave, I told Pak Bakar to make the call and do what is right. Somehow, he seemed to look much......calmer and happier, I guess. 

To me, I had my miracle today - speaking boldly where it matters. I have learned over the weekend to expect a miracle a day. I am exercising that faith!~ What about you? Expect a miracle each day of your life. Exercise that faith of yours!       

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Continue to be bold in your faith!