Monday, April 15, 2013

Outbac CCC Melaka Youths Broga Experience!

Youths today are a bunch of interesting people and that's why spending 3 days with them at an adventure outing can be quite a task. However, I have learnt over the years that once they get into the groove of things about an outing they would be able to enjoy themselves as they experience the new challenges of a camp setting. I am tremendously honored to have been able to work with a team of youth leaders in CCC Melaka in regards to a camp/outing adventure. Though I have my reservations at first as I am still very "raw & new" in this church but the encouragement and the opportunity given to me was a real encouragement. I am humbled and I remain humble that there may be others who may have more experience than me in planning for such a camp but somehow, I am blessed to be given the honor to help out in this camp/outing.

Though camps and planning for an outing for young children and youths are my passion, I somehow attract the wrath of my lifelong partner, SLing as she was very concerned of my health condition.  Afterall, like I have said so many times, I ain't no spring chicken no more as bones and muscles creaked and tweaked like mad! 

To be honest, I couldn't resist the draw of my love for the youths to know of God's love that made me plan for this camp. How could I not lend or impart my knowledge and expertise in such a field for the glory of His Name? I prayed real hard that day and I prayed for God to grant me His favor once again. In fact, my only prayers for the camp is for the Lord to bless the youths and the leaders with His love. I also prayed for good weather, good message and even a great teamwork in the team of leaders and youths. I thank God that He gave us good weather, good instructors and solid teamwork of leaders & youths throughout the camp. I truly felt really blessed, honored and humbled by all that had happened.

So, Outbac Broga is the campsite chosen and the leaders' works began. As I was practically a newbie to the church, I hardly knew anyone in the church ministry and I struggled a bit knowing who is who in the youth group. It wasn't easy convincing these young people to participate in a camp such as this but the youth leaders were willing to go all out for this. The leaders were encouraging, excited, extremely patient and the support given was tremendous. I guess, it wasn't easy for them to support an "unknown " like me but they trusted me and that was very important to me. Afterall, we are to work together in this camp.

With great minds and concerted effort, the camp became a reality and I am glad they trusted an old fool like me. I count myself really fortunate to have the church leaders' trust & support, the youth leaders support and God's wondrous support. 

To equipped me with task ahead, I had recruited Stephen Raj, John Ng, Ivy Wong, Charlene Lim and Stefanie Sim to help me out during camp. The help given was tremendous and they gave their limbs, muscles, sweat , blood and tears to help the youths go through the activities without a hitch. Aaron, Jonathan, Kenneth, David, Joel gave their all for the young people and it was very satisfying to see that happening. I am truly blessed by the great tenacity and determination to get the youth safely when doing the activities.

The young people were treated to the Leap of Faith ( confidence building indeed ) , Broga Challenge Race, Wall Climbing, Kayaking, Archery, Rock Climbing ( really tough climb amidst the backdrop of a nearby waterfall ) , Water Tubing ( 5 seconds of pure madness! ) and the highlight of the events, Caving ( a  real squeeze at the narrow & tight waterways and the exquisite expression, " What have I put myself into?" scenario! ) The activities were chosen to basically equipped the young people with confidence, exposure to physical challenges and to gel together as a team. I can safely say that the youths and leaders had bonded well indeed.

The teamwork shown was tremendous. The co-operation given was superb and the steadfastness to complete an activity was astoundingly encouraging. It was a real blessing to see everything run smoothly as it is. I thank God for that and as the night rally comes, the worship team led by Joel Lim & Esther were tremendous indeed.

As the camp drew to the its finale, I want to thank GOD, the church, Pastor Joanne,  the youth leaders, helpers ( my machais ) and the young people for making this outing a memorable on for the CCC Youths. It was incredibly exciting and exhilarating in  many ways as youth whined and twined through the activities but they did great indeed. So, thank you everyone for trusting an old fool like me and thank you GOD for fine weather, incident free camp and once again proving that GOD is indeed Our Refuge and Strength!

No comments: