Thursday, July 11, 2013

Morning Rant...

This morning I had the most frustrating day at the hospital as I do my regular blood check. This time, there was a big crowd  as the previous day was a holiday and so, the people just piled up before 7.00am. Usually when I get there at 6.30am, there would only be a few of us but this time it was different. There was already a small crowd and everyone was jostling for a space to stand by the door to get in so that we could all get our numbers. I must say the crowd was not a good nor civil crowd this time. I don't know why but the oldies seemed more "rough" and "pushy" this time around. Usually, I would  find a lot of pleasant old men and women but this time, these oldies really test my patience to the maximum. Those who were late suddenly would cut queue and find a place to get ahead of me. Latecomers would then barged through and surged ahead. Being who I am, I usually give in and I did but I realised that I got "pushed" further down and I finally ended up with No.14 spot.

As poor SYuen was with me and her class would start at 8.00am, one look at my watch showed 7.30am and they were calling No.1. So, I decided there and then to send SYuen to college and then try to get back in time for my number. As it was raining heavily this morning, traffic was at a standstill and jam was the order of the day. Somehow with the grace of God, I managed to get SYuen to college and drive back to the hospital. Then it's a good 40 minutes of endless rounding to find parking at the hospital parking bays. I did not lose my cool but  was really frustrated inside despite my parking faith. Finally, I got one nice spot , parked my car and went for the blood test. I had to take a new number at it read "2067" and they were attending to number 2045!! I was amazed at myself too for not gloating over it though I know I'll be late for work today. 

When my turn finally came, I was attended by a trainee from Manipal Medical College. He is such a young man and I calmed his nerves as he calmed mine. At first it was tough for him to find my blood veins on the left hand and we decided to switch to my right hand which would have been easier. He finally exclaimed that he found it ( the vein ) and asked me to do the small pumping exercise as he tightened the strap on my upper arm. He then calmly inserted the needles into my veins and draw out the blood and said it's done. I immediately told him  in my throaty and hoarse voice, " Thank you, Mr. Teo". He dared not looked at me but like I said, I always make it a point to thank that person for whatever he/she did for me. It is a good practise, yunno.  It makes the person who received your "thank you" to feel appreciated and it changes the whole structure of the day for that one person. Wouldn't you agree? I could see that he was engrossed in trying to put the drawn out blood into the four little bottles in front of him. A few steps later, I could hear an audible, " Thank you , Mr. Foo ". Now, that brought the whole morning to a new level of vibrancy to the day. That young man learned what it means to say "thank you" in the humblest way. Me? I received an assignment and went to work immediately.  Though the day did not start all to well, our attitude in responding  what had happened is equally essential in our lives each. Respond positively with attitude of humbleness and intact, we should be able to get through the day, even when brokenness comes, even when difficult times comes, even when things just don't seemed right. I guess, I've come a long way, indeed from those old days! Hmmmmmnnnnnnnn....I wonder whether is it I am getting old or just getting wiser.... Gosh! I wouldn't know, actually if you asked me!

No comments: