Sunday, January 26, 2014

Conscience

The lovely children : Rayan, Caleb, Rhys, Elyon, Shaohana,
Kimberly,Siew Yee , Hui Yee and Selina.
When I first received my topics to teach in the Sunday school for the year 2014 from my good friend, BLing, who is the Sunday school cordinator, I just looked at her , shook my head in despair & disbelief. Instead, BLing would smile so wide that her teeth would sparkled to illuminate the entire hall. She would pat me on the shoulder and said, "Don't worry, you'll be able to do it. I know you can." Such was the confidence this woman has for my flawed and cracked ability but somehow, God always enables those who are frail, flawed and cracked in a miraculous way. So very thankful for that and for that challenges BLing throws in my way to strengthen my work for Him.

I guess, I must admit that these are usually "kacang putih" stuff for seasoned teachers but for a working individual like me who still have to chase for "dateline" and receiving harrowing gentle reminders to get our works done , it can be quite a challenge and dramatic one. Somehow, I've always learnt a lot during this process and it can be rewarding at the end of the day. As always, I sought for inspirations over the weeks and when I finally put them down in paper, all I could do was actually to draw out and doodle what I know best. I guess, with the simple gift that I have, the ability to do some artwork, I was able to get my lesson done. When I completed the work at about 1.30am this morning, I felt a sense of satisfaction and I pray that I could inspire the children in my lesson.
My artwork on "Conscience" signed by the children ...
So, after the prayers, I started out the lesson with blind test on smell, then on taste and went on to the strength of the rope with the eye splice end. After some nice games with the children, it was time to get down to the actual business on conscience ( Romans 2 : 14-15 and 1 John 1 : 9 ) It was fun teaching these wonderful children as they opened their hearts for the lesson. For me, it was the children who inspired me to do my best all the time. Their lives meant so much to me and I do really hope that they would learn something from me even though they can be annoying with their nonchalant mood swings and mischievous ways. Many times, I had to make sure that they do learn something at the end of the day. At the end of the day, playing games with them was fun. Today, we had a little tug of war using the rope and they won one while I won one but not before I fell like a sack of potatoes on the floor and they roared with laughter too. I wasn't hurt physically nor wounded traumatically for losing/winning but it was fun playing with them and knowing how it feels to be a child again. Sometimes, we just need to be a child to play with a child or else we lose the essence of reaching out to them. Sure, we can be strict,grumpy and all pure business end with these children but we'll lose that essence while too playful with them can be disastrous too. So, a quick good balance is important but a bit of common sense do help a long way. I am just so thankful that these wonderful children do get the opportunity to learn something and be an inspiration to me too as I looked into their lives. You can be stumped with what they can teach you as they say the darnest things ever and they are so innocently truthful too. So, even when it  hurts, at least, it is the truth alright. Love the children a lot for what they are.

As I finished up my lesson and sent them off to their parents, seeing their smiley faces, the expressions of what they did with me and showing their parents what they received from me made me happy. At least, they appreciated me in their small ways as I appreciated them too. There can never be any other fulfilling feeling for a simple person like me as I am always the sucker for children's smile and humble "thank you"s. For me, that is truly more than enough reward for me to last me a lifetime. These are the simple pleasures in life that sustained my sanity each time in a crazy world like ours. 

Hmmmnnnn.....as I sit back and sipped my coffee now, I am thinking....." what's next, Ivan?". Here we go again............ 

No comments: