Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Mozzy lesson....

The last few days had been quite hectic for SLing and me as we make our way back to Seremban to do what we can for SLing's mom  and our two lovable tiny tots, Ryan and Ashley. They were down with dengue and it can be both tiring and energy sapping for Wei & Jade to rush around from hospitals to hospitals. SLing and I decided to do our bit by easing as much burden as possible off Wei & Jade who had been truly been wonderful people and taking care of all three of the "denguites" ( dengue patients! ) While Ryan was recovering , SLing's mom was having low blood pallete count while Ashley was the hardest hit with roller coaster fever ride and low blood pallete count. We all did the best we could as SLing's mom was admitted in  Tuanku Jaafar Hospital. SYuen and Jade took care of the children while Wei, SLing and myself travelled the roads to TJ Hospital and back. 

When we arrived there at Ward 5B - a mixture and men & women ward, I was told there was an epidemic of dengue cases hitting Seremban the last few days. Though the hospital was funnily old and antique looking but it was clean and quite conducive as a hospital, actually. I was pleasantly surprised with how well it was maintained despite being built in 1969. Since then, many other buildings were being built. The floors were clean and it was much brighter and more airy than most hospitals I have been. Anyway, I noted that there weren't any spare beds on this floor as dengue patients started to crowd the floor. I guess,the back portion of the ward was mainly to cater for the ladies as the dengue patients rises. I must say that though the air of hustle and bustle was there but the airy and cool atmosphere helped cooled down flared tempers and impatient visitors who sought only the best attention for their loved ones. Who could blame them, actually.

Anyway, one incident that caused me  to have a lump in my throat and had a lasting memory in my head was when I saw a Malay nurse attending to an invalid Indian patient who had been groaning and teary all day long. SLing's mom told us that she had been like that ever since she was admitted. The patient was Thanaletchumi, a thin and invalid woman with twisted feet. She was such a pitiful sight indeed. However, what really amazed me was when I saw this Malay nurse patiently took care of her and took the trouble to feed her during lunch hour. As I looked at the nurse, I noted that she was in her mid-thirties and she patiently mixed the fish pieces with the rice and lovingly fed the lady. There was something about that tender loving care and the way she fed the lady that capture the very essence of the meaning of care. She carefully and meticulously placed the food in the lady's mouth and ensure that she took in the food. She spoke to the patient gently, gave words of encouragement and smiled at her. What a sight! What true spirit of humanity!

Yunno, many a times, we confess and throw our hands up to the heavens that we are to love the unloved, the ugly and even the unwanted but here was the epitome of that very meaning of it. How many of us could actually do what the nurse did? We could be skeptics and say that it is the nurse's job and rightfully so but how many of us would patiently wipe the mouth of the lady for her spills or even clean her up after the meal or even gave a good word to the lady after the meal? This window of opportune learning and happening made me look at myself and examine the matters in my own heart. At that moment, shame and remorse feeling engulfed my heart. I guess, we are all so caught up in our own little world that we had forgotten where we are and what we are to do. It was indeed a lesson well learnt.

Recovering from that, I immediately asked SLing and SYuen to pray for the speedy recovery of SLing's mom. Somehow, praying for SLing's mom seemed so good. She looked much healthier than the rest of the patients there. As we spent the next few days shuttling from home to hospital, we were much happier being with the family. Though tiredness will creep in eventually but knowing that everyone in the family is recovering is good news indeed.  Just wanted to thank everyone of you who had prayed for SLing's mom, my nephew and my niece for speedy recovery. Thank you so much. Your prayers had nurtured our hearts in our times of anxiety, tiredness and trying times.
    

No comments: