Monday, February 17, 2014

Humility, the children's way.....


" Tell me, what is your secret of making the children happy with your lesson?" - someone asked me yesterday after my lesson with the Sunday School children. I told that person that my secret is buy lots of sweets, feed them well with food stuff and bribe the children with lots of interesting gifts. Wide mouth and flabbergasted, that person walked away sheepishly and still thinking about what I said when I told that person that I was only joking. I told that person that it takes heart to make the children happy with your lesson. Teach a short but meaningful lesson and then enjoy the time with them. That is my secret of success.

I've said it many times that I did not know where my strength comes each time I am faced with the daunting task of teaching the Sunday School children. Mind you, these are not "kiasu" children but one bunch of clever , witty and sometimes, handful children. There are times I do asked myself how did I ever land up the daunting task of teaching these children or what mess I have put myself in. I am saying this not with distaste or unhappiness but with gladness in my heart  I must tell you in all honesty that you've got to have the heart to want to inspire these children. You see, my only "tool" line or rather tag line that had been ingrained in my life has always been : To reach , teach and keep children for Christ. (Royal Rangers Ministry). This has been my tag line all these years and no matter what situation I am in, I am constantly reminded of this tag line which I've learned a long time ago.

I have learnt over the years that teaching these children required your concentration, creativity and to be one of them. I have learnt that when your heart is right and you want to touch lives, you yourself would have to be passionate and want to share His goodness. I am thankful for the children in the Sunday school as I teach them the Word in a more creative way.  In many ways, they teach people like me a thing or two about who they are and what they know. They are unashamed to tell you how they feel and what they know. So to me, it is always fun to learn from them as I teach them the Word. This is my secret with the children. To teach the children; be like them, know them and be honest with them. I am thankful that they have been "gracious" to me as I teach them.

Yesterday, I had lovely Sharon Khoo to help me with the children. She helped me a lot during the craft session and she also enjoyed herself as she did the craft with the children. As usual, these children created good and creative "havoc" with themselves and soon, the colors pencils, the colorful markers and even the colorful pens were all flying around and you could hear the excitement from the children. There was just fun all around and soon, their masterpieces are unveiled. Never mind if they don't look like Picasso or Rembrandt pieces; to me , they are priceless pieces. Masterpieces from the little ones.

I guess, that's what is important for me - the children doing their best and having fun doing it. As they showed me their pieces of " Be Humble" signage , I am so proud of them.  Even Sharon's signage looked very good indeed.

Of course, pinnacle of the day was getting the children sign my work as usual. I am just glad to have the children jot down their names on my artwork. It is my way of getting my satisfaction for what I have done for them. I was so glad when they nicely pen down their names in full this time! My artwork looked mighty fine to me at the end of the day. What do you think?

No comments: