Monday, November 3, 2014

Beans Cafe.....

The other day, I was having some coffee time at Doi Chaang Cafe and it was quite relaxing. I guess, in a mad rush world we live in, it is always good to slow down and just enjoy the simpler things in life. It was interesting that as I look at the simple drawn art on the wall of the cafe, I noted with interest that the meaning of "doi chaang" simply means "elephant mountain" in Thai. I then asked myself if this is gonna be one of those "from the behind matter" or simply put as "ass matter" flowing from the behind of the elephants that I am sipping!!!! Reading on, my anxiety calmed down considerably as further explanation confirmed that the coffee beans came from the coffee plants at the chilly mountains of Chiang Rai, Thailand and not from some animal's backside! That's all that matters to me, actually. Feel kinda gross if I am sipping some droppings from some animal, you know what I mean. It is not that I have not had such coffee before but in reality I do really enjoy a good cuppa coffee from the tree and processed properly for once.

I did not order my usual Americano double shot but instead I chose the Iced Doi Chaang instead while the rest took the Iced Melon, Iced Green Tea, Flat White and Errol had Americano double shot instead. I find my Iced Doi Chaang to be quite alright but I would rather have the robust and strong coffee taste, actually. I kinda miss my Starbucks Americano in many ways but some say, a burnt coffee beans gives you that bitter, burnt aromatics volume to it. I just dunno, some people love that while others love the subtle onslaught on a mild tasting coffee. Me, I am all for the robust, burnt and bitter sweet coffee taste. It's ...............coffee la.....

Anyway, while the coffee was alright, the company with family and friends were equally alright. I just love the break for the moment and I guess every one should have their own breaks. It would do you a whole world of a good, actually. It was at this time that Errol who suggested that why don't we try to run a cafe then.The idea sound absurd at first but as we talked on, it seemed so viable and doable. Sure, it got it drawbacks and so on but the prospect of owning our own business eventhough it will be a partnership is truly and invigorating thought. The thought warms the mind, the heart and even the head as far as I was concerned. Yup, they sound so inspiring and so challenging that it tingles my senses of wanting to try something out and just do it.

Nearing 50, spurned, twisted, wringed, hung out,  dried & fried by working our ass off with horrendously ridiculous bosses and deadlines plus ever prevailing sickening thoughts of burying someone under the six feet of gravel grounds ( that's me lar..... ), working a cafe is a welcomed thought. I was already thinking of doing the scones, the cinnamon rolls and even getting some nice cakes from enthusiastic home cooks to show case their culinary baking skill. Yeah, I really thought of giving opportunity to talented people to sell off their products like good ol' nice kaya, home made jams and home made goodness as these are served with breads or other nice fares. Yeah, I would love to bake my own bread and showcase them in the cafe, man.

Yeah, that really got me excited and I guess, a good cup of coffee does make a great day. Yunno, if I do own a cafe one day, the first thing I wanna do after establishing the business is to implement the "Bless a Cuppa" program. I have read about this cafe somewhere who would served coffee and food to the poor or needy by having a take away from them. One of the cafe proprietors implemented this campaign after having the satisfaction of seeing the impact of a customer who paid for the coffee and bun for one of the poor on the street. So, the proprietor started this program whereby customers can participate in helping the poor by buying their coffee and food plus pay/sponsor a cup or bun for the poor or needy who will walk into the shop. This is the way society gives back to the people. How it works is that the poor would asked if there is a sponsored coffee or  bun. If there is none, then, he gets nothing but if there is someone who had paid for the program then the poor takes back a cup of coffee and a bun. Wouldn't that be sweet? You'll probably say that I am little bit crazy or loco , right coz' Malaysian will always be poor, right? Well, I really believe this is workable, man. Kinda have to make sure that the coffee and buns go to the right people, that's all. We have too may kiasus and "free makan minded" people in this country who will just take everyone for a ride or make us all a sucker , right? Well, I guess, we'll just have to be wise as one walks in and ensure that they do not "rob" the genuine poor. Hate these type of cheapskates!

I believe my cafe would appeal both to the young and old. Anyway, I feel elated and nice thinking if I could own a cafe together with my fellow friends. Honestly,  I know nuts about running a cafe but I am willing to learn hard for the trade.I guess, in life, we all need dreams to stay alive in our heart, body, mind and soul. Yeah, I would be surprised if I take that chance to open up a cafe but it is one good dream indeed. What do you think? 

No comments: