Thursday, January 1, 2015

Travels...Kuala Gandah, Mentakab & KL......

Before ending the year of 2014, my family and I together with our family friends, Errol & his family decided to spent some days away from Melaka to our yearly end of the year adventure. For as long as I can remember, I am always fascinated with elephants and so, I decided to make plans to visit elephants at Kuala Gandah, Pahang and I sold this crazy idea to our family friend, Errol & Jessica knowing very well that it is raining season at this time of the year. There were hesitations at first in regards to accessibility to the area and even to Mentakab town. Many friends shared their concerns with me and asked me if I am crazy to wade through the flood waters to get to the elephant sanctuary. I have one friend who asked me if I am nuts and am I going there to be part of the flood relief team. I answered honestly that I am part of the flood victim team when I go there! I must admit that there are times I also questioned myself if I am in my sane mind as everyone is trying to get out from these places and I am going in to these places! Evidently, I am not in my sane mind but I'll do the trip because I truly believe in a bigger GOD, really. That was how desperate I was to get away and spend some time away with the family. 

Anyway, it was good that Errol got news from his sister-in-law that the road to Mentakab via Triang would be inaccessible due to the overflowing river banks. That leaves us the option of KL-Karak highway route to Lanchang and Kuala Gandah. I must say that no one in the team ever heard of Kuala Gandah Elephant Sanctuary and most of the time when I explained to people that I am going to Kuala Gandah, the obvious squint in the eye reaction is " Kuala what?" Well, we made our way amidst the early morning rain which is not comforting at all and it rained all the way along our destination right to the elephant sanctuary. It was an arduous 41/2 hours drive as we stopped for breakfast and putting out fires in the toilets along the way. Though it was raining all the way but it was pleasantly smooth drive to Kuala Gandah Elephant Sanctuary. 
The sanctuary was very well-kept, clean while we enjoyed every moment of feeding the elephants with sugar cane sticks while having one eye on the every rising waters from the nearby river. I noted with a tinge of disappointment that chalets and brick buildings are being built in the sanctuary spoiling the natural look of the sanctuary but like they say, progress is imminent especially with the lure of the ringgits insignia! I guess, everything gives way to the way of the ringgits as time goes by. I am just glad that I am at the sanctuary when it is still free entrance! The elephants are coarse and thick-skinned. Their trunks are powerful and their roar can be ear-splitting indeed. As we fed the elephants with sugar cane sticks, they are the gentle giants indeed and I was told that these are the younger ones. The bigger and taller ones are kept at the upper enclosures located on top of the nearby hill. I didn't mind the rain and the smell as it is once in a lifetime experience as far as I am concerned. The it is off to Mentakab to get a glimpse of our accommodation for the day. Along the way, we passed some very small towns which impressed me a lot as I am still very much a " kampong boy " at heart.

The thatched roofing of wooden houses and partially brick houses made the travelling such a fun thing. I have always enjoyed nice, eclectic, rustic look kampong houses and also the natural surrounding. It was fun and when we actually arrived in Mentakab town, we headed to our accommodation, EV Hotel and plopped our tired bodies on the comfortable Dreamland bed, man! We asked around for the happening places of interest and the poor receptionist girl had to endure our drilling on places of interest which is none and the only thing she could offer to us was Starmall Mentakab! The most happening shopping centre in Mentakab. This is the place where we watched the movie, " Night Museum 3" and continue with the last LOTR trilogy " The Hobbit". It was a marathon of movies for us to "kill" time in Mentakab,man. Truly one experience that will be long remembered! 

The following morning after breakfast, we were off to Kuala Gandah for Deerland. By this time, we were told that flood water had indeed rose further and this caused some concern for us but we really wanted to enjoy our holidays. As we were early for Deerland, we decided to catch some drinks and food at the nearby road junction. The beef rendang and sambal ikan bilis tasted good with our Gardenia bread as the proprietor was out of nasi lemak, mee goreng and bee hoon goreng that day. As we made our way in Deerland, we had fun feeding the younger deers with cuts of sweet potatoes. The weather was excellent but certain portion of the Deerland was under some water. We had to avoid the snakes enclosure as they were under water while the raccoon was a rascal indeed. I guess, the greatest fun for me was holding the small cute but thorny hedgehogs. 

They are like overgrown computer mouse when you put them in your hands but they are thorny...really thorny indeed. There were peacocks, birds of different species, pheasants and even rabbits every where in the Deerland. They are in the special enclosure and they are truly beautiful. Before ending our trip, one of the workers asked us if we would like to handle a python snake. SLing was the very first to bolt to the main exit and stayed there while the rest of us contemplated whether we should do it or not. Before I could say anything, I had a heavy but shinning cold slithering Burmese python around my shoulders. Boy , they are heavy, shinning ,cold and very very muscular. The handler taught us how to handle the snake gently and allow it to move the way it is. 

He then left us for a while as I handled the snake delicately though I was feeling squeamish and queasy a bit from handling the python. Out of the blue, the handler then whipped out a humongous looking Albino Burmese python and propped it to the shoulders of Josephine. That is one huge, heavy and real big piece of pure muscle. It took four of them to steady the docile and rather "tame" snake. To me, that is pure muscle every where and it is just so huge. We took photographs and then left Deerland with loads of memories of nature and fun. 

We were then on our way to KL for our next destination and we were again determined to enjoy ourselves and we did. Firstly , we turned gluttons for Hutong's Hokkien mee and then we filled our bellies with Outback Restaurant's finger licking and gob-smacking succulent ribs, chicken fillets, Typhoon burger and No Holds Barred burgers. What a feast lar....... 

The following day, we were off to the National Museum whereby the China's Summer Palace Exhibition was on together with Weapons of the World Exhibition nearby. It was indeed nostalgic as SLing and I used to date here many many years ago and how much the place had changed. I must admit that museums fascinates me a lot and I looked at everything in detail and in fascination. It is unbelievably a good place to bring you children for a lesson of history. BTW, should you want to know, the entrance fee to the museum is RM 2.00 ( Two ringgit ! ). Believe me, it is worth every sen indeed. As for the "Weapons of the World Exhibition", I paid RM 5.00 for the entrance fee and I am impressed, thrilled and fascinated by the array of weaponeries exhibited. It is truly exciting and so thrilled to see how these weapons are formed and made. Later, we went to the "Ethnicology Museum"and "Orang Asli Museum" nearby to further fascinate our already jammed packed with knowledge heads! Truly fascinating and NOPE! Those figurines in the museum doesn't come alive at night,okay? 

To end our trip to KL, we proceeded to the National Monument ( Tugu Kebangsaan ) at Jalan Parlimen. I know, this is a regular school children "must-see and must -do" program , we just wanted to get that patriotism feeling once again. Visiting the National Monument gives you that sense of pride that you are proud to be a Malaysian and there are people out there who will die so that you can enjoy that peace, safe and tranquil feeling. I could never help but feel "indebted" to the fallen heroes who had fought for the freedom of this country. It is the most meaningful bronze art structure ever - the majestic feel, the artistic taste of art and the pregnant meaning of freedom were captured that day. 

For once, I became a small child again going on for a field trip to KL. As I looked around me, I saw busloads of tourists taking pictures of the monument and these people don't know the first thing of what this monument really meant to us as to them it is just another tourist attraction. It is just sad sometimes that they posed, take pictures and never really read the carving of words nor knew the price of freedom. To me, the other monument caught my eyes. The one before the actual national monument. The very one that greets you as you walked towards the national monument. It is the monument whereby names of fallen had been engraved on the copper plates that adorned the pointed monument. An inspiring day indeed, as far as we were concerned. 
It was late when we arrived our respective homes that night but truly one good experience indeed. Thankful that we were protected, sheltered and safe during our trip and to the places we went. Thankful that we were not part of the statistics as flood victims. Thankful that we had wonderful experiences together as family and friends. Most important of all, thankful to GOD for He made it all happened for us.

As I looked back at year 2014, there are only two words that came to my mind and stick out evidently in my life - THANKFULNESS and BEING THANKFUL. Thank you , everyone for playing a part in building my life to where it is today. GOD is the very reason I live today but you people colored my life throughout the years of my life.....thank you...... 


No comments: