Saturday, July 18, 2015

Prasat TaProhm ( Ancestor Brahma )

Front view of TaProhm
After having exhaustively explored Angkor Wat and The Bayon, my next destination was Prasat TaProhm. Just like the Bayon, it was built in the late 12th century and early 13th century by King Jayavarman VII in honour of his family. Ta Prohm was originally named Rajavihana. It is located approximately one kilometer east of Angkor Thom. Accordingly , Ta Prohm is photogenic, atmospheric combination of trees growing out of the ruins and jungle surrounding. 
Became part of the roots,,,I guess...

Yeah, you've guessed it, my friends, Thanks to eavesdropping among the Mat Sallehs local guides, I got all the information I needed to know about Ta Prohm and the best next best thing to do is to explore the place and take lots of photographs. Somehow, I get to save my USD dollars again. Like I said, there are just too many people out there and why waste the "sharing", right? But the information given was indeed within earshot, so, I just benefited from the information which made my visiting this place a whole lot easier.

Visiting Ta Prohm can be quite an experience for any tourist,actually. With local children and adults trying to sell their local stuff, you definitely have to be strong to resist buying anything except when you are done with your visiting. I hate to admit it but I was one of those who had to harden my heart though I would love to get as much souvenirs as possible but I just can't start or else I won't be able to get the visiting done. With help from Daly and her stern ways, Teo and I were able to get through the people and walked through the muddy red earth road towards Ta Prohm. 
Carved window......

Walking along the path, we could see a group of musicians playing some Cambodian folk tunes with traditional musical instruments. Under the tarpaulin shade and drizzling rain, they did their best. There were also children plying their souvenir trade under another tarpaulin too.  We gave it a miss too as we wanted to reach TaProhm as the drizzling rain started to grow into bigger drops from time to time.

Anyway, with luck, we arrived at Ta Prohm within the next 15 minutes or so after treading through the muddy road. The entrance was marvelous. With silk cotton trees, thitpole and smaller strangler fig trees surrounding Ta Prohm, the temple looked majestic enough. I am often reminded that this was the film location for " Lara Croft - The Tomb Raider" and it is as beautiful as it is portrayed in the movie. 
Yup, the doorway Angelina Jolie appear at "Tomb Raider"...

Just like Angkor Wat and Bayon, the ruins was as genuine and original as it was. The walls , windows and door ways were beautifully adorned with ancient carvings of great interest. The gigantic roots from the trees made the temple ruins such a  unique feature. I really love how the tree roots made the temple such a work of art. As usual, tourist from all over the world went goo gaga over the spot where Angelina Jolie appear from the door way before she fell into the hole in the movie. Local guides showed the tourists where the exact location was and there was a frenzy of photography session. All this while, as I was waiting for my turn to take my photograph at the "Hollywood " section, I took a good look at the wall carvings and pillars. They were beautifully craved and beautiful. I love every carvings there and they certainly were missed by the tourists who were just interested in their aha moment at the Hollywood section. Well, at least, I get to see and enjoy the carvings more. 
Roots that became part of the temple....
The silk cotton tree blending in with the temple....
The rest of my time was spent on just enjoying the other sights of Ta Prohm. The roots seemed so harmonious entwined with the temple walls and became part of the beauty of the place. I couldn't have asked for a more beautiful mixture of nature and ancient history. What a sight indeed! Yunno, I will never be able grasp how skillful these carvers had been or how many human hands were needed to sculpture such wonderful place.  All I knew is that their hardwork had not gone unnoticed after a few centuries. Right up to today, their masterpieces are still being looked at and marvelled at by each and everyone of us over the years. That to me is an achievement of a lifetime by these wonderful sculptors and master carvers , don't you think so? 

No comments: