Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Siem Reap, Cambodia - First Day...

My buddy/colleague, Teo and me....
One of the most fulfilling moments in one's life has always been to try to achieve what is on your Bucket's List before you kick the bucket, right? Well, mine was a trip to Angkor Wat, Cambodia. Well, I lived that dream on 8th July, 2015 when I flew in to Siem Reap on the chilly Wednesday morning with my colleague , Teo C.K. I was excited and anxious like a little kid with his first candy stick. KLIA 2 seemed so big to me as there was just endless walking right up to the Gate 19 where we were to board the plane to Siem Reap. The waiting, suspense and anticipation were a torment to me as I really looked forward to this trip after 5 months of planning earlier. 
Arrived in Siem Reap with this AA plane.....

I am just thankful that I could make this trip a reality as tight work schedule and finance had always been my barrier in making this trip. I have heard so many great stories of this place while I spent each night awake trying to see how I could make this trip a reality. I saved as much as I could and coupled with my hard earned bonus cash, I finally was able to make this trip a reality. I really really worked very hard to save so that I could make this trip as with a son in college for his studies and a daughter starting out in college, finance was very tight but manageable. 

Uptill this time, our holidays had been local and largely to museums and other small fee paying places of interest. I do get embarrassed at times when friends gave me the "museum expert" tagline when those places were the only places SLing and I could go with our family without spending much. If I had a choice or resource I would love to give my family a good vacation but being together and enjoying each others company was good enough for me. But this time, it is different, I wanted to do things on my own as I believe, I had to have the opportunity to do things on my own and pursue my own dreams which I had put on hold since the arrival of marriage, children and family. I am not complaining of the these things as they are the very reason we are all living with. To me, I just wanted to fulfill my own childhood dreams and follow that dream of wanting to see places.
Nice sculpture at SR International Airport

There were plenty of people going to Siem Reap that day. A fair bit of Mat Sallehs were also travelling with us to Siem Reap that day. Anyway, I must say that before we arrived at Gate 19, there was a series of security checks and they were thorough indeed. I have to take off my belt ( luckily, pants didn't drop down!!!!! ) , wallets, watch and even shoes just for security check. really can't blame the authorities as there are a lot of screw-loose people, fanatics, terrorist and not so nice people around,huh? Of course, there were queue jumpers too who had to be put in their place as we ain't no queue jumpers! Everyone has to toe the line, man. 

Hotel main entrance.....
As I took the seat in the plane, I was really excited and relieved that there were no calls from office...hahahahahahaaaaaaaaa..... I am finally on my way to Cambodia. It was a two hours flights which was quite smooth and no air pocket turbulence. Smooth...finally, something good..... When our plane landed in Siem Reap International Airport, it was so unreal for me. I came down the walkway with a different feel as I was in a different country and I am there!!! I really pinched myself to make me awake that I am in Siem Reap, Cambodia as I snapped photos of Teo with our AA plane while he snapped photos of me with our AA plane too. I could hear the airport authority woman behind us saying, " Sir, this is an international airport. No taking photos of the planes or stop to take photographs. Please move on, sir." I guess, I totally ignored her and continued to take photos despite her pleading of no photographs  policy. I guess, I was just being an overzealous kid and I apologised for my bad behaviour. She smiled but still maintained her stern look and asked us to move on. 
Hotel front...just have a look at the electrical lines....
Imigration was a breeze and as soon as we were out the door. The hotel had sent a tuk-tuk to pick us up and sent us to the hotel. Short, smiley, small built and dark-skinned man named Cho asked us to follow him to the car park. He had parked his tuk tuk at the road opposite the airport. So, we had to walk a bit and get onto our tuk tuk. What a nice contraption of a pulling cart with a Honda/Yamaha/Vespa kapchai  m/cycle! It was fun as these aren't hell tuk tuk drivers from Hatyai but they drove slowly and cautiously so that we are safe to our destination. Along the way, he maneurvered the tuk tuk expertly through the roads and avoided the busy traffic. Along the way, I could see beautifully built hotels and I can only imagine staying in them for I know my budget and constraint, right? Well, never mind, I am more contented to be able to put my head to lay down to sleep as I was there for a visit to one of the world's best ancient city ruins.
Tuk-tuk of Siem Reap, Cambodia...
My bed....really comfortable and lovely to sleep on....
Finally, after about twenty minutes, we arrived at our hotel and when I  got my keys, I plonked on my own room and rested for a while. The bed was very comfortable and there was a replica of a face from the Bayon ruins overhangs the bed. Maybe, a gentle reminder for me to behave myself when I am there. Good morning , Siem Reap, I have arrived!~   

No comments: