Thursday, July 16, 2015

The Bayon - Angkor Thom

The Bayon a.k.a Prasat Bayon in the heart of Angkor Thom....
After the exhilarating time at Angkor Wat, our next destination was obviously, The Bayon a.k.a Prasat Bayon. After catching our breath after a long walk back from Angkor Wat to the main entrance, our ever smiling and soft spoken tuk-tuk man asked us where would we like to go next. We answered simultaneously, " The face one!". " Ah! Bayon", the tuk-tuk driver answered. Our face lighted up and off we went. That's how we knew that our next destination was The Bayon a.k.a. Prasat Bayon.
The King's library......

The Prasat Bayon is the well-known and richly decorated Khmer temple at Angkor, Cambodia. It is situated right smack in the center of Angkor Thom. Built in late 12th and early 13 century, it is the official temple of King Jayavarman VII.  ( Yeah..lor, I learned all this because I followed a group of Mat Salleh tourists and I was too cheap to give up my USD 1.00 for a  tour guide la..... ahhahahahahahahahaha..... ) 

I guess, The Bayon most distinctive feature is the multitude of serene and smiling stones faces. Located on it's left and ride side are the King's huge library with very steep steps. With the morning showers and moss, I did not intend to break my neck for that matter and so, my colleague Teo and I made it to a certain height and said enough or else we might just fall down and kick the bucket! (Incidentally saying "die" word is prohibited in Cambodia as you will be forewarned that it is not good or nice to say such things!!! ) I am proud, I climbed up the King's library which would have been majestic those days. I really enjoyed the beautiful scenes here as the jutted upwards building structures made up of these stones faces gives it such an antique look and shows the ingenuity of architecture of those times. 
Nice stone face... the scuplture la.....
I just stared in awesome wonder each time I come across the stones faces which were fitted nicely piece by piece. Though over time, some form of widening gap had appeared, it doesn't take away the beauty of such pieces and the well fitted pieces of ancient history. I must have seen about 200 pieces of such stones faces and each one seemed different in construction. I am also in awe of the intricate carvings and art form on the pillar, windows and doorways. Such intricate and well thought carvings can only come from a technically good master carver with such wonderful gifts of carving work.
Love the carvings and designs....
As always, there were a lot of tourist there ranging from Korean. Japanese, Europeans and China tourist , of course ( eyes rolling!!!!) As usual, the most hated and nuisance of all are the Chinese tourist who are not only loud, unhygienic (spitting culture!!) and irritating clowns! For crying out loud, some peace and quiet should be nice as one enjoys the beautiful pieces. I guess, I get irritated with them as just when you want to enjoy some nice photography session and digesting the beautiful surrounding, they would want to take photographs and refuse to budge when you tell them you are taking photographs. It is really "siah sueh" if I may say so! Yeah, you get kinda embarrassed seeing their antics and somewhat "rough" ways! Just hope, they don't pee in the water bottle and leave them at The Bayon.....yup, not surprising I tell you, people.......
Yup...my irritating "guests" for pictures....

Anyway, I had some magical moments as when I was at one of the top tower, I could feel the nice breeze and the lush greenery view below. The grandeur of it all and the wonderful architecture made it all seemed so cohesive for this temple. Yunno, the stone faces were just fantastic and I salute the stone carvers of the ancient times and putting them together is no easy task too. Like in Angkor Wat, I was also running around like a little fat boy with candy floss in hand - a picture of happiness and innocent bliss! 

I tried to capture the essence of each stone faces and the structures so that I could enjoy them in my free time. I also noted that building The Bayon was not easy feat at all. The pillars would have to be able to stand tall and withstand the elements of nature at the surrounding area. Again, I am excited each time I see the careful carvings and beautiful rendition of stories from the Hindu epics being marked on pillars and walls. Just plain beautiful and classic.

Nice stone face carving....just like Lego block.....
Three stone faces at a strategic location....
After this, big , strong and friendly, perhaps?
I guess, the point of humour was when one of the local guide told Daly about the "lingham" stone which was supposedly to be "powerful & magical" when touched for night activities! Sort of an aphrodisiac thingy but it was just so humorous for me. We were informed that the bigger, taller and fatter stone piece ; the better! Yup, touching a small one is a no-no indeed!........ hahahahahahahaaaaaaaa. So, Teo and I both posed and touched the so called "power stone" just for fun and that brightened up the day of more continuous rain! I wouldn't know if it is a big one or a small one or a medium size one! Hahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........... 
Now you see me........

As intricate as the building itself, you could just sense a feeling of calmness in this place despite the various steps, doorways and steps. I guess, the builders could have been calm people too when constructing this temple, right? What I like about this place is the great harmony, serenity and just a sense of calmness. I could see that the temple was expertly put together with so much emphasis on harmonising the place itself.  Truly a great feature for The Bayon. 

Felt so at peace........ 

No comments: