Sunday, September 17, 2017

Mersing Escapade.....

Nice cool breeze, blue and crystal clear waters, nice shades and a light fishing rod in hand was all I needed for an island getaway holidays. What was even more spectacular was spending those moments with family and friends whom I have regarded as family. Such it wasn’t easy to make travel arrangements and all that for a group but all thanks to Sis.Lorna, we made it to our getaway place.

We started out on a bright and sunny sunshine in Melaka and headed south towards our destination. As usual, there is always some place to drop by for breakfast and this time, it was Kluang Station coffee and breads. Boy, there was such a crowd there but it seemed that everyone was quite civil and patient waiting for places to sit and have breakfast. I guess, with that much travelling on the road in the early morning, one could get “cranky & mentally disturbed” in many ways at the way some drivers are driving but what the heck! We are on holidays, right?  After wolfing down our toasted kaya buns and drowning our black gold of coffee into our ever accommodating tummies, we were off to our destination, Pulau Besar or formerly known as Pulau Babi Besar.
For opulent reasoning, the name Pulau Babi Besar doesn’t sound that “good” for obvious reasons and thereby, it had to be re-named, Pulau Besar. What’s in the name, you may ask but then again, Big Hog Island does sounds a bit of an annoyance, isn’t it? But then again, EVERYTHING is an annoyance nowadays lest someone makes a police report about it ….again. Don’t wanna be on the wrong side of the law or sensitive people or else – who knows….people get offended again and again and again….. Well, fact is fact but some people just love twisting the facts like our History lessons too……


Anyway, the older folks on the island still love the name of the island and not an offence to them but like I said one man’s meat is another man’s poison lar! Anyway, it is always good to be back to an island. I love the islands but nowadays, it could be an expensive affair for Malaysians to travel to our own islands. Guess, foreign dollars have been blinding the eyes of the resort operators who could be quite “money gluttons” these days. I was really hoping that our operator would not be like that and I am extremely pleased to say that our operator wasn’t like that. In fact, he is one of the best I’ve ever experienced in my life. Yeah, I have gone to a few islands in my lifetime and I have been extremely blessed with great resort operators. This one was no exception. English speaking Malay man with a heart for his guest and truly a gentleman in many ways. My hats off to this Malay resort operator!


His humbled abode is nothing to shout about but it is homely, welcoming and rustic as far as I was concerned. I am not unduly concern about modern facilities and all the modern fanfare. What I like most is that it is simple, clean and honest place. I love the beach front and I love the rich blueish sky and lovely clear green waters. The corals surrounding it is nice and alive. Sure, it is hot but to me, it is the very reason why we need to be in the shades and places to enjoy the breeze. Yeah, I was suntanned through and through but I love it. I love the sights, the smell and the burns ( getting tanned )! 

The cool breeze and the evening setting atmosphere was really good and lovely. Sure, I did walked around the family and friends to the nearby resorts and though, I find them to be really nice with the right facilities and all that but the prices are really a real shocker eventhough they are fully booked over the weekend. It often make me wonder if people have gone bonkers paying such exorbitant prices for such resorts. Maybe, it is just me. I am getting too old for such price war. I guess, I am from the old school where good places should be kept as pristine as possible so that we can come back to it from time to time and not let someone else or foreigners take over our resorts and charged us through our nose and be a pain in our asses! 

I agree that resort operators want to maximize profits while tour operators want to earn more money but stifling the guests ain’t the answer. In years to come, our future generation of children and children’s children would not be able to step foot on the islands lest spend a few nights there when operators over run us with hefty prices and charges. 

I guess, in many ways resort operators are sandwiched between making a profit and dealing with the rising cost in essentials like food and human resource. 

To me, there is a real need to strike the right balance and to look into ways to get a good profit and yet ensuring that the guests are happy and the environment is sustained in its natural condition. With so much sun around, probably it would be good for resort owners to turn to sustainable solar energy powered resorts. These are very doable options provided some unscrupulous people don’t hike the price of solar panels and fixing works. Then it is back to square one! Well, just my thought on the matter.


Yeah, when I was younger, I really wished someone had offered me a job to take care of a small resort. I would welcome that challenge even though it would be 8 months of work due to the monsoon season around the islands. I believe that getting simple things done correctly such as repairs to roofing, repairs to facilities and providing clean and honest rooms are the ways to go. Good PR and anticipating the needs of guests are important too. Like I said, just a thought from me.


Coming back to my trip, Capt. Edwin took the young ladies and guys to snorkelling around the island while a few other including myself sauntered at the jetty deck; enjoying the nice breeze and looking for the bonus for our dinner. Lunch was simple fried rice and fried mee while dinner usually made up of nicely cooked vegetables, eggs, sweet sour chicken and assam pedas fish. Really love the simple cooked food and the fellowship.

In the evening, after sitting out at the porch area of our ‘house’, I truly enjoyed the conversations and the great fellowship, the coffee and sharing of the goodies. Much laughter and great feeling of being in a family setting helped us be comfortable with one another. I guess, great company oozes great times. I guess, the stillness of the nights does that magic to your brain that will just sent electrical waves of calmness.

As I recollected my thoughts for the day, I can only say that I felt blessed and truly relaxed while on the island. It was truly an amazing feeling. When Ethan Sim, a 6 years old boy said to me ,”  You’re an awesome fisherman, Uncle Ivan!” 

That really made me feel good inside especially the compliment coming from a child. Yup, my days seemed so much brighter and more meaningful….must be doing something right….hahahahahahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa…..to gain his favour! Yeah…truly an awesome time……..


As we bade farewell to the resort proprietor, we told him that we would be back soon and he smiled widely. Like always, we never renegade on our promises. Sure, we’ll be back next year and there is no doubt about that.


No comments: