Thursday, September 21, 2017

Sawadeekap, Bangkok!

I could pinch myself each time I board a plane to go off for a holiday as it is sometimes very difficult to do despite everyone telling you that it is not a hard thing to do. With tons of work and responsibilities on your shoulder including massive demands & unnecessary pressure from clients and your Management, you would often reflect if it is worth lying slumped forward on your work desk lifeless at the end of the day. No sireeeee, I chose life and not dying on my work table/cubicle like that.  No employer nor your boss is ever gonna be weeping and balling their eyes out with tears for your premature change of address out of this world! Probably a few forced nice words to your widow and some white envelope containing some "solace" money, you are off to your 6'X4', right? It is as simple as that and it is reality. I prefer to choose reality! 

Nope, I ain't being negative or any of that sort but just telling it as it is, actually. So, I decided to take a break and head  north bound for Bangkok, Thailand. Guess, being who I am, I have made plans so much earlier while anticipating the required break for my sanity and own good. I am glad I did that and I am able to share some quality time with SLing and SYuen. Prior to my journey, good family friends gave words of encouragement and support so that we could have a great holiday together as a family. I guess, taking required breaks and rest are important as it does give you your life back and just for a brief moment, a slice of your sanity is laid to rest for a while. With today's work demands of your limbs, head, sanity and your own morality, one really need to stay focus on doing the right thing. 

Anyway, maybe, I am just an old man rambling my thoughts away while I am supposed to be writing about my holiday fun. Maybe I have fallen off my sanity stand after being thoroughly "bashed up" and fighting losing battles each day but "Tom Yam Koong", here I come! Come to papa! What was special about this trip was that I am able to travel with my daughter, SYuen this time. It was good to see her up and running while enjoying herself. It was quite an experience and I know how it felt - especially first time experience of flying overseas. 

Prior to our travel, we prayed for journey mercy and a good trip to Bangkok. Family friends held a small birthday celebrations for me before we hit the sack. What a nice mini party and thoughtful people! ( Dinesh, Abby, Jessica, Errol, Edwin, Lorna, Lara, Dave, Caleb, Josephine and Jocelyn - Thank you all! ) We traveled early morning to KLIA 2 airport and it was really fun to be able to fly again. We have some food and drinks at McD before checking in for our flight to Don Mueng International Airport, Bangkok. Flight was about 2 hours and it was such a smooth flight.
It was exciting reaching the airport and SLing immediately took over the duties of Bangkok guide. We were off in a partially yellow & green cab who was rather slow in driving his car and used the lower road rather than the highway. Probably, he wanted to get more mileage which will result in higher cab charges! We reached our hotel, Centre Point Pratunam Hotel and we were lucky to be able to check in as there was room available to us. We were glad that everything went on smoothly. The rooms was spacious , clean and definitely cosy. I love the hotel room a lot. The air-conditioning was good and in working order. Service was also very good. It was then off to some nearby sight seeing before hitting the sack for the day.

Our chartered driver, Mr.Wirut Suttijan met us bright and early next morning for our trip to Hua Hin the following day. It was a 3 hours ride and we stopped for some food before heading towards Hua Hin town. Wirut is a nice man and typical Thai. Like all Thai, he did not have much command of English but he could communicate with us. I am grateful and appreciative of Mr.Wirut as each time we are back from an activity, there would be chilled mineral water bottle waiting for us. That made the day for us, actually. He is well mannered and always with a smile. Our very first stop was Santorini Park. An Italian theme park with loads of fun. The Ferris wheel ride is the main attraction together with some other Santorini styled houses and decorations. Make no mistake that it is a tourist attraction and therefore, shops selling branded stuff are aplenty at the park. It was just blast for us. Then, it was off to Swiss Sheep Farm and then to The Venetian which is a letdown. The Venetian entrance fees was quite expensive and there was nothing much to offer. Even the gondola ride wasn't going to cheer me up simply because there isn't much of an attraction here AND the entrance fees are exorbitant!

Lunch at Chubb Cheva Cafe was good and the host - simply want to be named as "Q" was truly a good host. His recommendation on food was spot on and really good.  I am surprised that it was just a laid back place and I certainly loved the ambiance. I owe him a review which I am going to write later. Yup, I always keep my promises when it comes to food review if I am asked to give one. Yeah, no free food but just simple honest review. The Thai green curry was very good while the bacon & sausage fried rice was fantastic. As for the Basil Pork rice - one word - lovely!  To top it off, SLing & Syuen celebrated my birthday there with a chocolate brownie and a cup of Americano! Love the place but gotta go then to the old market Plearn Wan.

No entrance frees this time but nothing much to shout about either. It is just a rustic old market with Thais trying to re-live the olden eras and with some souvenir shops. Not very successful , I guess. There is this really great rustic photography shot which will take a picture of you with some olden days replicas and old stuff. That to me was quite good. Other than that, another money making endeavor for the Thais from tourists. Hey, I've gotta be honest, right? Then , our very last stop was to Hua Hin Railway station which is a historical building itself. I just love the track woods which were made into seat for the train boarders.

It was very rustic and I really love the creativity. The punctured holes, worn out look and old feel doubled with great shellac finishing made it all such a great piece. There is a replica of an old train and we were fortunate to see the train from Surat Thani heading towards Bangkok stopping at Hua Hin Station. The royal waiting building was also a great classic indeed. Love the architecture of it all.

The following day, we went to Maeklong Market whereby every time the train passes by, the vendors would have to fold up their business and allow the train to pass by before resuming their business. It was good there while I really enjoyed the 15 baht kuey chap noodles! We also went to Damnoen Saduak floating market and I must say the fees of 2,500baht is truly exorbitant! Yeah, I felt short changed a little bit coz the water ways are someone's back yard and quite murky.

I especially did not like being treated like a money bag to be squeezed by the vendor along the river ways. I felt somehow that the boat driver wasn't happy as we dd not buy anything from the river vendors. I must say that I do not want to be conned as I know that their prices and 3 times higher than what we could get from Bangkok city itself. I want to be fair to say that I will want to support their livelihood but I will not be cajoled into getting conned with such prices. Would I take the boat ride again the next time? Well, the answer is "NO". I would rather use the money to see the Grand Palace than the river experience. In fact, eventhough, it was 1,500baht for the 3 of us for the entrance to the Grand Palace, it was more worthwhile that the river cruise.

There is a real need for these people/operators to stop bleeding tourist cash and trap the tourist with such unwarranted prices. It is embarrassing, really. I believe, when word gets around, there won't be any more tourist doing the river cruise if the operator continue to do this. This, I can be sure of. Word will get around. Charge reasonably and don't milk the tourists like money cow. You will lose the crowd someday. This is my honest opinion.

I guess, the highlight of our trip was the trip to the Grand Palace in Bangkok. We risked our lives by taking the tuk-tuk there. Our driver, Mr. Lar is one burly , muscled man and we just couldn't resist jumping into his tuk-tuk. He is one helluva driver and I wished I had thought deeply before boarding his tuk-tuk but yunno what, he gets us to where we want to go in time and with great precision. He showed us the way to walk to the Grand Palace entrance and get our tickets. It was just our luck that there was a special prayers for the late King and I sincerely marveled at the Thai reverence of their dearly departed King. I am really in awe of their dedication to their late King and the respect they show for their King.

Like I said, the Grand Palace was really and truly amazing for me. I truly enjoyed the golden building, the grandeur and the majestically built buildings. Lovely architecture, culture and so much history. I really loved the murals on the walls and I was so captivated by it all. There is even a replica of Angkor Wat there in the Grand Place. We enjoyed taking pictures and all that but in the midst of all the enjoyment, I do agitated by the presence of the loud, rude and inconsiderate China tourist. I mince no words by saying that there are the worst tourist ever walked on this Earth! Even my taxi driver, Wirut can't stand them ! I guess, they are good for the economy but lousy for the ears and sanity! Yeah, I almost lost my sanity because of their horrendous behaviour.

It is bad enough to deal with the blistering hot sun and big crowds, then you have to contend with a bunch of clowns, idiotic behaviour and truly uncouth ways. I really really pity the tour guides who would explain over an over again the need to be quiet, civil and even behave properly lest they be kicked out of the Grand Palace.

 I have seen tour guides asking the tourist to repeat saying what had been told to them and yet, it all goes to the drain and some funny clown would be detained or moved aside for some violation some how.  These China tourist talked so loud and so uncouth that probably other tourists just moved away from them. AND they like to photo bomb your picture taking occasion. Had a couple of shot with some idiotic people in my photos! Aaarrrrrrggggghhhhhhhhh! I do hope ,we , Malaysians are not like that! Are we? Hmmmnnnnn....that is the question, isn't it? But of course, Singaporeans are the idiotic ones too, right? With their pompous little ass ways and all that. It is no wonder that we get the flak from the people who thinks we are Singaporeans or worst still, China tourist! What ass luck we are having! Yup, taking a swipe at Singaporeans too! Hahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.....
On the way back to our hotel from the Grand Palace, we boarded the pink color taxi. Again, I wished I had made better decision coz this fella, the driver, blasted some traditional Thai sob songs from the radio and then had a sing-along session with the Thai songs. Every 5 minutes, he would change the radio station and at the end of the day, I was just telling myself, " What did I do wrong, God?" Anyway, I felt so relieved arriving safely at the hotel and I could almost kiss the ground for being safe! After cleaning up and a good rest, we hit the nearby open market and malls. I guess, I enjoyed my time in the hotel where I can get some peace and quiet.

It was a good holiday for me and the family. As I looked out my window , overlooking the malls and the road, I guess, our driver, Wirut was right - " No jam, no Bangkok" That is what that makes Bangkok special and just like any other metropolitan city. You just can't help the sights, sound, pollution, good and bad of a city. You either love it or hate it.

For me, I love Bangkok and I shall return.....someday... soon.



No comments: