Friday, January 22, 2021

Platform 12



Fishing has always been my favorite recreation and I have been fortunate enough to go fishing with family and friends. This time when I was asked if I would like to fish at one of the platforms of the first Penang bridge, I was very happy and elated, actually. I had packed my usual sea fishing gears and three rods for the fishing trip and I was really forward to a good trip there. Afterall, who would not be excited to have the chance to fish at Penang bridge,man? The stories on Youtube and social media are just so legendary and fruitful while they may be stories of unfruitfulness which were not published either. You never know,right?

Prior to the fishing day, JWee asked me if I was ready to fish at the bridge, I was happy and ready for the challenge. So, the night before the trip, I had rigged up some of my hooks and was getting ready for adventure. The cool thing about fishing is that you’ll never know what to expect from each fishing spot. I guess, our trip this time was like that. It wasn’t easy to fish at a new place and lest, you’ll have to learn the tide and flow of current which will affect your fishing. For me, you need not be an expert in a lot of things but you’ve got to at least know your tides and the rest is experimental as you go out there to the sea. There is no guarantee for a sure catch but you’ll catch something. For me, I was more into the recreational part whereby I could really enjoy the time of peace and calmness while having some fish would be a bonus, actually. We , the four of us namely JWee, Daniel, Ronson and myself boarded the small boat after buying our local roti and prawn baits as supplies for our fishing trip.

The day was hot but not that super duper hot day while the sea was calm. Confident with live bait and a growing confidence of a good catch, we soon made our way to the platforms. Before that, we had enquired from our boatman, Aman which platform would be good for fishing. Young fella, Aman, a Malay youngster, who could speak some Mandarin told us that he would take us further out and we agreed despite him not telling us which platform would be good for fishing. I guess, they, the boatmen just do not want to be scolded or blamed if the catch is bad knowing very well that fishing is not a predictable trait. A good harvest at fishing is dependent on many factors to help it succeed. On that day, I saw a lot of anglers at the platforms , however, I remembered distinctively at Platform 46 that there was a good catch noted on Youtube as I watched it at the night before our fishing trip. Anyway, on the suggestion of the boatman that we get ourselves to somewhere between Platform 13 and Platform 12, we decided to go for Platform 12.

As the boat was equipped with a tied up wooden ladder at the front, we were soon climbing up the wooden stairs and loading up our stuff onto the platform. The platform is huge and has a lot of space. It was a very comfortable platform and it is quite shaded from the sun. That’s a perfect platform, really. The only problem is that you’ve got to bring the fishing rod support or rod holder for your fishing. If not, you’ll be holding onto your fishing rod at all times. Luckily, I brought my 5 ½ ‘ and 6’ rods and so, I did not have to worry much except for some ingenious ideas from Daniel on how to hold up the rods. I immediately rigged up and started to fish from the back section of the platform. Immediately upon the first cast, I know indefinitely that the current was very strong and a heavier sinker weight would have to be used. However, no matter how hard I tried, I knew that it would be futile to use heavier sinkers and you would not be able to get the position that you need to get the fishes. I had also noted that from my homework prior to our fishing, I noted that water level was constant and low tide wasn’t as low it should be but it was predicted to be a good day of fishing between 12.00noon to 2.00pm.

As we had arrived at the platform early, we got ready, rigged up and started fishing. Though there were some teasing bites, nothing concrete was noted. For me, I enjoyed the Georgetown and Bayan Lepas skyline across the sea. They looked beautiful and modern. The young fellas were in their own conversation and just chilling out. JWee struck first with some fishes on his Apollo rig line. I believe, there was a small ikan cencaru and ikan tamban on his line. Soon, all of us switched to Apollo rig lines and started casting out. We moved, jigged and cranked our hearts out that morning. We were rewarded with ikan cencaru ( torpedo scad ) , ikan tamban ( silver stripe round herring ) and some other fishes. Several ikan duris ( marine catfish ) were landed on Daniel and Ronson lines. I guess, for me, the thrill of fighting the fishes were the most memorable moments for me amidst spending time with these youngsters and listening to their thoughts. It was really a good day for me as I really get to enjoy the scenery and Penang backdrops.

Having the sea breeze and the sun gives me that rejuvenated feeling  I can’t explained. I just loved the sea and the sun. It made me feel so…..alive, I guess. Soon, I was pulling up ikan cencaru and ikan tamban that day. All in all, we caught about 15 cencaru and tamban fish mostly palm size ones. It’s quite good, actually but we were more into the bigger fishes but it was not meant to be for us that day. So, perhaps we would fight the bigger fishes another day.

We soon bid farewell to Platform 12 at about 4.00pm that day. We then stopped by for some food and drinks at Kak Eli’s stall. Like I said, sometimes, the best /food comes from the least expected places and Kak Eli’s food and drinks were simply marvelous. I did not eat but had the ever delicious corn & cincau drink which was such a delight for me. The youngsters had nasi goreng, mee goreng and ayam goreng plus their drinks. You could see the very satisfied look on their faces and the smiles says it all, man. All in all, it was a good day indeed. No expectations but loads of rest and fun. Maybe, the youngsters had hopes to catch bigger fishes but for me , I was just very contented in spending time with the young people, enjoyed their conversation, enjoying the sea breeze, scenery and a whole load of peace and quietness. It was unimaginable peace, joy and solitude. Like I said, having some fish to bring home was just the bonus.

Sure, we will fight another day to get the fish and perhaps use a different bait or fishing style. Yes, I would go back and fight the fishes on another day and at a different place. I love fishing because it is so unpredictable and it is always a stroke a good luck in landing a big one. Maybe, it wasn’t my day to land the big on that day. Perhaps, I am still holding on to the fact that I’ll land a big one the next time. It is always good to hope to land a big one someday because that’s what is going to spur you on to learn and do new things in fishing. Wouldn’t you agree? However , spending time with my son and his friends were priceless as I have always wanted to spend some time with him. I may not have been much of a father to my son when he was younger but I am trying my best to be around as much as I can.

Anyway, dinner meals cooked by Felicia, my daughter-in-law that evening is what I looked forward to that evening! Never would miss that and I am certain my palate would be fulfilled indeed! Sure, I was not disappointed and for confirmation, it was a great dinner indeed! Cheers! Sure, I’ll be back!

No comments: