Thursday, February 18, 2010

Fullback Special ~

Today I had the chance to spend some time with friends of mine whom I have not seen for ages and I am really glad to have met them. Mr. Leo Vincey was my college days hockey fullback partner while his wife, Shanta Devi was the college ladies hockey player. Thanks to FB, I was able to contact Shanta and then we communicated. So, when Shanta wrote to me saying that they would be down in Melaka together with their SUKMA hockey team for some training sessions, I was really glad. With CNY celebrations and all that, I soon forgot of their arrival in Melaka. Well, age is catching up and I ain't no spring chicken-lar ! Brain cells gets electrocuted and zapped more as you grow older!
Anyway, I made it a point to go to the Bukit Serindit Hockey Stadium to give them a surprise visit. As I walked into the stadium, my mind was flooded with memories from my playing days and it brought so much wonderful memories playing alongside this wonderful person, Leo. When I saw him coaching intensely with the ladies team, my heart was lifted up coz' he was doing a great job coaching them. I could see his love, his intensity and his passion for the game. To me, he looked the same except for some extra "muscles" here and there but he's alright. That's important. As I stood at the sides, I saw his young ladies giving it all during training sessions. Wow! Memories really flooded in and I was really.......nostalgic. Then I made my way to the field and it was so nice to feel the turf again. Gosh! It was really nice to feel the turf again - the wetness, the smell, the smoothness of the turf and the intensity of the game. Yes!Yes!Yes! I miss the game a lot! [ Bbrrrrrrrrrr.......finally got it off my chest! ] I lifted up my hands and called out to my friend, Leo and then I saw Shanta walking across the turf. We just hugged each other for such a long time and it was great to meet my friends, Leo and Shanta. Then one small fella, nudged my legs and said, " Hi, I'm Davin!" This small fella was Leo & Shanta's son. Talkative, expressive and active fella indeed! I told Leo to carry on with his sessions while Shanta and I catch up on our lives. It was really exciting and fun being able to meet them. We also exchanged news on friends and it was really good being able to talk. I guess, I marvelled at what both of them had gone through and how they have turned a loser's team to one of the top ladies team in the country. I guess, when you start your team from scratch and at a young age, they would soon develop and be great players. What dynamic planning and future foresight indeed! Well, like all success, they come with heartaches too but I am really proud they both had weathered it and come out stronger.
As Leo closed up the training session for the day, we all had lunch together, talked about the good times and what he had achieved together with Shanta and so on. It wasn't boasting or any of that sort. It was pure hardwork, humbleness and an achievement for this couple. I can identify with what they had to go through and the amount of work in devising game plan, conditioning and strategy for games. I am really proud of what they are doing for the game and the way they motivate their young ladies in the team. It was just great meeting up old friends!~
So, Leo & Shanta - all the best and God bless you both always!~

1 comment:

A Pinch Of Salt said...

Hi 九份,
Thank you for dropping by. Have a good day ahead and be blessed whoever you may be!~