Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Good ol' times...

The previous weeks had been nostalgic weeks for me. It all started while attending a funeral sit-in Klebang whereby we paid our last respects to Puay Cheng's mother who was called home up in paradise. I met up with Cheng's brother-in-law, Benny who turned out to be on the opposing side of the hockey team that beat my school team during the semi-finals. It brought back a good flood of memories of the game in which my team lost 2-1 with the winning goal being scored by Benny. Together with Cheng's siblings, Bro Kuna, Vive, Sathy, BA and Jessy, we had a good time chatting up on the good ol' days and the fellowship at Cheng's family home was good. Then I met up with Leo & Shanta and some hockey friends at the stadium. Again, it was an adrenaline rush as good memories flooded in. Yes...yes... I miss the game and one night, I even asked SLing if she thinks I could make it out there in the hockey field again probably in the veterans team. [ Sigh! can't compete with the young ones so, go to the older group - face reality-lor! Hahahahahahaha! ] She just turned to me and said, " Just go to sleep, will ya? " I just laughed my head off by her remarks. That's typical of SLing! So much for support from her.
Then I contacted one of my former students from Sabah through the FB and soon, many others ensued. I was really glad to be able to get in contact with my former students who used to be in my class , the athletics team or even the hockey team. Well, needless to say, mostly all of them have become educators/teachers. I was speechless as one after another came out to tell me that they are serving this part and that part of Sabah. I was so blessed by this. I must confessed that I wasn't a good teacher then and so, I sincerely want to apologise to all my former students for this inadequacies that was a part of me. Yup, confession is good for the soul and I just want to apologise for this. No need to hide and be truthful about it. I just did what I could to inspire the students but I was really into sports. That's the only place I knew how to inspire the students. I was blessed when I got to know that my former students had gone international namely they had served in various countries like Ireland, Singapore, UK and many others. I guess, for a former teacher like me, it gives me a great satisfaction knowing that these students had done well in their lives. Many had married, have children, having some more children and changed so much physically.
I guess, this old heart of mine had been at rest knowing that my beloved former students are doing okay in their lives. I know, it is really a small consolation for me to know that somehow I had made a very small contribution to their lives. That gives me a lot of joy in my heart. BTW, I treasure the times and the love I had shared in Sabah. The people I have met , lived with , cared for and ate with are very close to my heart. I feel it is the most beautiful place on earth if you are a nature lover like me. So, to everyone who was associated in my life while I was in Sabah during my teaching career, thank you for the memories! I meant it from the bottom of my heart!~
Anyway, SLing told me the other night that I could actually do what I want if I put my heart and soul to it and that she would support me all the way. Now, that's my woman !~

4 comments:

Unknown said...

another excellent piece of write-up! It's not how much money you make that makes you a great person, but how many person you bless along the way that counts.. :)

A Pinch Of Salt said...

Thanks for the nice words of encouragement, my friend. God bless you and be blessed always~

Unknown said...

Another well written piece Sir!
and you and your wifey is always so lovey dovey one issit?
Support from your spouse is really important in a marriage! Good thing you found your other half, so must cherish lor
Cheers!

A Pinch Of Salt said...

YiVon,
Thanks for your kind words and great encouragement. Appreciate your friendship! Be blessed always!