Thursday, July 29, 2010

An AABC breeze...

Not too long ago, someone asked me if I would like to buy tickets to the All American Boys Chorus Concert which would be held in our church, I hesitated as I really could not afford the price of it though I really love music. Simple maths showed that RM 160.00 for a family of four is big money for our family and that's why I declined politely at the requests. Somehow, my two children would like to attend the concert and so, I finally parted with my monthly budget and bought two tickets for the children. I believed that it would be okay if I give this one a miss this time. I must say that when someone blessed us with another two tickets for the show to enable all four of us to attend this concert, I was overjoyed and deep down in my heart I am really very thankful for the blesser(s) of our tickets. Like I said, I don't pretend to be who I am not and neither do I want to be reckless in my spendings as I do have a family to feed and some things aren't on the list of importance. So, there you go, that's how I got the tickets to attend to this wonderful evening show.
Well, let's get back to the show, shall we? Well, from the onset of the first song " Be Our Guest", I must say that it was an absolute spectacular arrangement of vocals and what beautiful harmony! Yes, I thoroughly enjoyed this rendition and the repertoire of songs that followed were beautifully sung. I could have sworn I was transported to a time of childhood innocence and a time of free winds hitting the open fields. Look, these are young children with solid range of vocals and the innocence of youth. There is something very special about their voices and harmony that bring a sense a peace and calmness. It was really a synchronicity of powerful notes and wonderfully crafted tones of vocals that makes this evening a memorable evening. The All American Boys Chorus had the crowds' admiration and ovation when they sang a number by the late Teresa Teng. Probably, the pronunciation of the Chinese words may not be that accurate but it was really a good attempt by the boys to give the crowd a good account of themselves and what they can do. To me, I really liked their rendition of "Elderweiss" from the "Sound of Music" spread.
Anyway, I must confess that I was really sore and irritated by this young boy who was seated behind me who kept hitting me with his jacket ever now and then. I know, I know, I shouldn't be mean to this boy but I couldn't help it. Parents were telling him not to do that and so on. He was sorta rude to his parents and he seemed to be getting away with it. Anyway, not wanting to alert his parents, I managed to get hold of the end of the jacket and pulled him near me slowly. Then smilingly, I whispered in his ears, " If you ever hit my back again, I'll break your legs, ok? You hear me? " He seemed to keep quiet and not too long after the interval, no one sat at the back, no kicking , no hitting anymore! Phew! Spoiled brat moved on! Look, I am absolutely incensed with children who does mischief and gets away with murder when they are with their parents in public places. I am still very much a firm believer that "spare the rod and spoil the child" indefinitely!
The second half of the show started with the boys in their beachware costume. Really nice.....They belted some Beach boys songs, "Circle of Life" and some good old American -Tom Sawyer/Huckleberry Finn type of songs. They ended with a salutation and the crowd were rapturous in the clappings and held a standing ovation for the boys. As the boys came down from the stage and went round to shake the hands of the people who had attended the concert, I believed that their voices had been a tremendous blessings to the crowd this night. God had given these children the beautiful gift of voices and they had delighted us with the God-given talent. They had entwined their talents and got together to present what good talent and voices can do to bless the hearers and to soothe the hearts. SLing and I enjoyed it very much while SYuen thought some of the boys are cute! As for JWee, well, he is into a different kind of music but we told him that music is universal and should be appreciated in whatever forms they may be.
He finally got the idea and as I photographed the boys from the All American Boys Chorus, these boys really did well. They are in a different land with different food, culture and people. They gave a great performance. It was a full house. It was a benefit event in aid of Wings Melaka. It was simply marvelous. Best of all, I get to go to bed with a silly smile on my face!~
BTW, the two boys with me - Dave & Caleb, they are the real deal, man - definitely, The All Malaccan Boys Duet! Get your tickets in advance!

2 comments:

Abby said...

Thks for the supporting the event brother! Appreciate u & ur family coming together to bless the ministry of Wings Melaka :)

A Pinch Of Salt said...

Abby,it was a really pleasure and we are really blessed! Thank you again!