Friday, July 30, 2010

Saviour King 2010 ....the youth way

After a hectic last night, today, it is another night of music. The only difference is that it is the young people music tonight. So, it is going to loud, unpretentious and full of musical goodness. Surprisingly though, I was feeling crabby, moody and not myself, actually. I guess, every once in a while, you'll get one of these type of down trodden feeling. Anyway, I have made a promise to my son, JWee and daughter, SYuen, that I'll be there at the concert. I mean, to me, making up to that promise is very important. Supporting the children's talent and being there for them are equally important too.
Incidentally, this event is the initiative and great collaboration between the youths of Wesley Methodist Church and Calvary Life Assembly Melaka youths. Firstly, I must say that this is really a commendable effort. The dedication, the hardwork put in and the effort to get a united youth assembly put in by youths like Radiance, Shawn, Garret, Matthew, JWee and others are really applaudable. I see their hearts and their passion in uniting the youths but I really am disappointed with the responses they received from the youths. What was disappointing for me was that parents don't seem to see the significance of getting youths together for a good time of praising God and listening to a good sermon from the man of God for the night. It is even more saddening that others things takes precedent over having a time of fellowship with people of their age, making new friends and being in a fellowship.
BTW, I hate this "Malaysian time" thingy where people just strut into the hall whatever time they like and never punctual for any event. It is downright and absolutely rubbish to be not on time for such an event when you are on the dot at work, at tuition, at swimming lessons, at piano lessons, at ballet class, at football practises and the list goes on. So, did I touch a sensitive nerve? GOOD, it is MEANT to be hitting at that nerve! Think about it, will ya? To me, this is purely rubbish and I don't hold back because I have seen how this can ruin a function or even an event which are planned much earlier. At least , have the courtesy to respect the event that had been planned. That's the problem with parents and adults who find this kind of event to be a social event but when some "famous/well-known" "Ang moh" preacher or "Ang moh" singer/band comes, they'll send their youths as early as possible to get the best seats in the house and they rush to "par wai" for their friends some more! Tsk!Tsk!Tsk! Anyway, for this event , there was no seating available and the cold parquet flooring suits me real fine because once in a while, we need to get our behinds to hit the reality of cold flooring!
Anyway, the event started out with ice-breaker game and I thought to myself, " Aiyoo....here we go again !", rolling my eyes and started to question my attendance. There wasn't much confidence in me for the event by the way it started. But I must say to you that I was proven wrong by these wonderful youths. Yup, folks, you hear me right - they proved me WRONG, man! The praise and worship was truly awesome as the crowd slowly trickled in. It isn't just be awesome because JWee is singing in that group. It was their heart and soul belting out the numbers and the presence of God that moved me. Though the numbers were few but God's defining presence is there. This is what I felt and I know His presence is really so wonderful. Yeah, the music is loud but that's youth music and I like it. What I like most about the praise & worship team is that they sang from the depths of their hearts and just let God take over.
From here on, it went from good to best when Pastor Jit Pang from Kluang took over the mike to share the Word for the night. What a man of God! His connectivity, easy going ways and no holds bar speech livened up the event indeed. Even I was encouraged by his sharing on the true meaning of Worship. This man of God brought the message to a pinpoint accuracy of what worship is all about that is obedience unto God. It is not about singing, dancing, prancing, showing off your talents and so on but a simple gesture of obedience upon the Lord by doing our best for Him. It is not only a simple message lined & laced with anecdote of humour but virtually littered with tatters of laughter, fun but very profound meaningful sharing. I like his challenge to the youths that night . I could understand that what Pastor Jit Pang shared was truly from the experiences he has seen, been through and experienced. His pointing out of the things that hinders youths from coming to God and seeking God were pinpoint accurate. I was truly encouraged by what he shared and I must say that this is the best sermon I've heard whole week and I told him this personally as we shook hands.
That night, as JWee walked up the stairs as he bid good night to me, I told him that he sang well. I also told him that I am very proud of him and God would honour him for what he has done. Yeah, I want to affirm my son that it is God that matters and not some man-made praises & sweeteners. I believe he understood what I meant as he smiled and walked up the stairs.
This is my prayer and a prayer from a father's heart tonight : God, I pray that you would be pleased with JWee! ~

2 comments:

Abby said...

JWee and his team did well that night! Good things always start with a first step & he is heading in the right direction. May the Lord continue to lead him in using his talents for God's glory.As we are faithful in the little things,God will trust us with bigger things.After many years in the worship team,I'm still learning.And I know God will continue to raise up young singers & musicians like JWee & his team to continue to sing & play for Him:)

A Pinch Of Salt said...

Praise God! Thank you, Abby. I am blessed by the opportunity that comes with the integration of youth through music. Thank you for your support for JWee musical talents!