Sunday, December 19, 2010

Close to my heart...

Today, I want to pay tribute to two beautiful people who have become a part of my family amongst the few whom I have considered family members in my life. It is no secret that these people who had been inducted into the hall of family in my life are important people to me apart from my own family members. The two persons I am referring to are - Timothy & Evelyn and their two children, Elizabeth and Ellysha. Simple, down to earth and very considerate man & woman of God! That's how I would describe them. Their trademark - their smiles. Since knowing them, I have been very blessed and encouraged by their lives. I catch up on their progress by receiving monthly updates on the email and we meet up when the family is down in Melaka for holidays. Though I may not know everything and all the things about them, it is suffice to say that their consistent lives and testimonies had been a tremendous impact to my life. They may not be the richest people in the world but their lives and what they do are a living testimony of God's goodness. In a world where we all want to earn more, crave more and have more, they lived steadfastly on the promises of God which is often just enough for this family of four. They aren't paupers or any of that sorta people, but they are very blessed people because their lives are a living testimony that God provides for those who love Him! Evelyn and Timothy are Bible translators with Wycliffe International. The job mainly involves working with mother tongue speaking people and getting the Word of God translated into print media in that mother tongue language. More often than not, they have been doing more than what is required mainly due to their love for God and serving God. That, my friends, are truly hearts of the servants of the Lord. Truly, it is an interesting work that God had asked them to do. For years now, I have seen how they have laboriously toiled in the kingdom of God with the little they had and I really marveled at their faith in God. It is never easy to uproot all that you have built in your life only to follow God's instruction to move and to do His works in a foreign land or a new place. The one thing that marveled me a lot is that even when their finances run low, they kept their faith and never made a sound of despair because they trusted God. Look, it doesn't take a genius to know or to figure out the needs of two adults and two school-going children in our society today. I just want to say that missionaries like them do not have a big fat pay/salary like all of us who are working in our companies or even our religious establishment today. They live on the goodwill of good hearted people, individuals and churches who supports them financially for the works they do. I must confessed that they have never ever spoken about their financial needs to me but I have supported them in whatever small way that I could ever since I have known them. Like I said, it is not about the amount you give but out of the abundance of love from your heart. I am not saying this to garner support for their cause because God is a bigger campaigner & supporter in their lives. I believe that the greatest gift one could ever give to another person is the gift of giving- for the right cause and not some fancy building or whatsoever. The people need to be ignited in their senses in giving for such causes rather than some big fancy building or festivities programs or even to fill up the coffers of the fixed deposits. How weak, lame and shameful our religious establishment had become as they continue to be transfixed on worldly things and matters while people like Evelyn & Timothy are found to be insignificant or worst still, mission list recipient casualty/struck out from the mission listing of our churches today. After all, they would always say, " We pay so much for the Bible books and I am sure they made their money-lor! " failing to see the difference between the printing houses and the millions of man hours put in by many people like Timothy & Evelyn who worked so hard for it - all for the love of God! Oh.. BTW, another sickening mentality is this " Aiyah! Nobody works for free one in this world!" Yes, you are damn bloody right. Nobody works for free - the only difference is that you pay for the Bibles, they are paid by God. Remember that! Their rewards in heaven is much better than ours! Think about it!
I am truly saddened that our churches today failed to see their roles in our lives today. When people who hunger for the Lord's word received a copy of the Bible or a portion of the chapters of the Bible in their mother tongue language, please extend your thanks to people like Timothy and Evelyn for their undying love, laborious checking and hundreds of hours of proof reading before it is printed and reached the hands of believers from all other the world. That's their heavenly responsibility and I must say, they have done a marvelous job.
So, the next time you pick up your Bible, flipped the pages and read the words on Sunday morning as you sit in the posh front row seats/pew, remember that many hours and tremendous labour of love had been poured into getting the Hebrew, Greek or even Latin words translated into English so that you can utter the words, " Heavenly Father, hallowed be thy Name.......". Remember, your gift will help a long way for translators like Timothy & Evelyn to be encouraged, helped them know that their efforts are appreciated and help sustained their every day living expenses. BTW, let's be realistic here and simple logic applies - nobody lives on sunshine and air the last time I checked around!
I appeal to you in conjunction of Christmas celebrations and the spirit of Christmas this season , if you would like to do your part in blessing this couple, please do not hesitate to do so. After all, we are all just cracked vessels of God in one way or another! Cheers to you!~

No comments: