Sunday, December 4, 2011

Hmmnn..The Salary.

Two days ago, I made an early morning trip to the bank to check on my finance. After some anxious and obnoxious moments of anxiety, an amount flashed across the screen indicating that the much awaited salary had been banked-in. Don't get me wrong. It wasn't that I am complaining about the lateness of the salary payment or freaked out over it. ( I almost jumped off the office building (sigh! luckily only 2 storey! ) after receiving calls from my telco provider and bank that my payments are overdue! ) In fact, I am fully aware that it is well within the rights of my employers to pay our salaries between the 1st to the 7th of the month. However, it was a real welcome sight and a real relief as the bank screen flashed the anticipated amount as I have bills to  pay and mouths to feed just like any other employee in this country and their responsibilities to their respective families. 
In actual fact, that day was nothing new as I have had regular days like this as I evaluate my monthly expenses and so on. So, after squeezing my account dry with the last ringgit available, it was back to the drawing table on the division the bounty from my sweat ,blood and tears for the month. I had prepared two envelopes to divide my monthly bounty. I took a slightly longish envelope started writing the expenses to be paid on the envelope and put the amount into it. This envelope was meant for my Home Mafioso chieftain, SLing! It was sad to see a big chunk goes to Home Mafioso's expenses control of the month especially allowances, utilities, vegetables and food money plus tuition fees and others. It was like chopping off one arm and one leg off the body parts with the bleeding still on-going. Then, it was another envelope whereby another big chunk was assigned for my car payments, cellphone bill, mom's house rental, payments, "extortion" monies and other bills. After dissecting the meagre bounty , I was left with the month's living expenses which was a really small sum indeed. As I slumped back against my working chair, I made a small fan out of the extremely small excess of the month in front of me. Without much ado, I slipped them into my wallet thinking which wan tan mee stall or roti canai stall would be better for my lunch hour treat in the coming days! Ah! I've been reminded that we've gotta eat to survive and also, survive to eat! Either way, I am confused, I think??!!
To be honest, I am not complaining. I am just thankful that I have a job in hand and at least, have a salary to feed the family. ( I've been reminded on this countless number of times ! ) I likened myself like an Indon construction worker but the only difference and twist are that I looked smarter and dressed up nicer than the construction worker! Anyway, "money not enough" syndrome is a real problem among employees today and so it is with me. But I've learned to accept the fact that bosses will be bosses while employees will be employees - oppressed, depressed and systematically compressed to oblivion by boardroom games and decisions, power struggles and power shifts. I am way pass that and I am just thankful that I can fill those two envelopes I have each month though I will be left with a rather scary amount at the end of the month.
Ah! I would rather not think about it. After all, it is another 27 days before I can fill those envelopes again and start the vicious cycle of " feel good " again! In the meantime, just gonna "enjoy" the days, I guess. There are many things for us to be thankful each day ( I'm constantly reminded of this by my bourgeoisie-minded superiors ! ) and I really am gonna be just thankful. By the way, I just want you to know that this is my cynical satire look and real jab/stab at life.   


No comments: