Sunday, December 11, 2011

Tilt in the Scottish Kilt....

Yesterday evening, SLing and I had the wonderful privilige to spend some time with our former lecturers and friends. This wonderful get-together/reunion was the brainchild of my closest buddy in college, Santokh Singh and his lovely wife, Jane, who happens to be Soon Ling's classmate in college at our younger times. I just wanted to thank Toki ( Santokh's pet name! ) for taking the trouble to get this going despite all our busy schedules, emergencies and what not. This get-together/reunion was long overdued but after some tenacious effort by Toki & Jane, we, the lucky ones were able to meet up with our respected lecturers in Mr. Indran, Mr.Bernard Lau, Mr. Rajasingam and Mr.Bala. To me, I was determined to come for this get-together because I have not seen these people for the past 23 years! I must say with all honesty that what ever outdoor skills, dealing with individuals, public relations, damage control skills, craziness, risk taking, loving nature and improving oneself, I learnt and owe it to these lecturers. I am particularly indebted to Mr. Indran and Mr.Bernard because I have watched these two men who really took the trouble to actually teach and instill something good in us that would last a lasting impression. From Bukit Takun, Gunung Tahan, Pulau Pemanggil to Pulau Redang, the memories and stories flowed easily and it was just a delight. The occassion was significantly made merrier with the presence of Gopi, Ragu, Fabian and Thuruvan. It was really heartwarming to be able to see, hugged, speak and exchanged pleasantries with Gopi, Ragu, Fabian and Thuruvan after all these years. It was just wonderful for me. I could never hide my joy of meeting Toki & Jane as they are special to me. Toki was my roomate and also, my teaching partner during my teaching practical days in MPLP Teachers' college. We truly stuck to our choices of mates in life in Soon Ling and Jane. Yup! They were good choices. The only tinge of sadness was that there were many who said that they would make it for this event but I guess, they had other commitments and emergencies to deal with. Anyway, it wasn't gonna damper our spirit for a good evening.
After our drinks and getting to know each others' on-going happenings, we adjourned to Mr.Indran's place to see his "nest" after all these years. I tell you this, Mr. Indran is a class above when it comes to hosting us. I am truly humbled by his willingness to open his house for us to stop by and what a delight we had. I love his treetop house and it's architecture. I am told that he built it with his children and that's one skillful man! It took him 4 years to complete but it is truly a perfect hide away with books and wooden flooring. I love the raised platform of Chengal wood and it makes the corner terrace such a delight. The decoratives in the house were memorabilia from the yester years and they would cost a fortune nowadays. The one place which really caught my eyes is the cosy place below the treehouse. Again, the walls were adorned with pretty women memorabilia of the yester years such as Marilyn Monroe, Elizabeth Taylor, Lauren Bacall and a host of others. Even the pirate decorative piece at the centre of the coffee table was classic. However, my eye caught the most significant piece of art ever which was hanging on the wall with small cursive letter which says:  "a simpler life". That is so significant!

For the first time too, I met up with Mrs. Indran. A quiet, pleasant lady but truly a remarkable woman - simply because she had to put up with such an energetic man like Mr. Indran! The drinks flowed and our conversation continued over memories of the years involving college activities and Kelab Kembara activities. As usual, Mr. Bernard would crack his jokes and he is truly a gentleman too. He is easy-going, joker and truly a fun guy. We had a great time with his jokes and his experiences with his buddies, Mr. Indran, Mr. Raja and Mr. Bala! Mind you, these are people in their late sixties and I have nothing but pure respect for these "young at hearts."
As Soon Ling & I bid our farewells to our beloved lecturers and friends, I felt enriched in life by their presence and their sharing of experiences. I truly am humbled by the experience and the experiences of others. We could never gauge how our lives could affect or enrich others but by what I experienced yesterday night, I must say, I am truly blessed with these people and what they have done during those early years. They touched lives more than they can ever imagine. I remember thanking Mr. Indran and Mr. Bernard for all the knowledge and experiences they had shared with us earlier in our college days. It is the same principles, knowledge and heart that I have passed on to the leaders and children in the Royal Rangers Ministry of Melaka # 1 where  I am serving. Mr. Indran aptly replied, " Thank you." He did say something along with it but I didn't catch it but that wasn't important. To me, acknowledging the blesser is itself a reward for me. At least, I still get that chance in life to thank them both personally in person. How awesome can it get, right? 
My dear friends had made arrangements for us to meet again next year for another great time of reunion. Let's hope to have a bigger group of friends so that we could have a great time of fellowship, catching up and also, just let the good times roll again. For those who had missed the get-together/reunion, people, we lived only once in our lives - let's make it count, shall we?  
Toki & Jane, THANK YOU SO MUCH from the bottom of my heart!~ 

2 comments:

Abraham Ologundudu said...

what a great re-union

A Pinch Of Salt said...

Hi Kraizeewhiz,
Thanks for dropping by! Be blessed!~