Saturday, September 22, 2012

Set Fire , indeed!

I wanted to write something different tonight but I somehow went to YouTube and watched the singing performance of Shila Amzah at the Asian Wave Shanghai 2012 singing competition. I can tell you this : I was blown away by her performance and her Mandarin rendition "Zheng Fu" popularised by Na Ying. Gosh! she is really good. No doubt that her father, singer, N.D.Lala would have been very proud of her.

I saw her earlier singing clips at the competition and she practically blew away the likes of Alan Tam and Hacken Lee, who were the chief judges, by her sterling performance. What can I say except that she has a really good voice, melodious, faultless pronunciation of words; be it in English, BM or Mandarin - truly Malaysia and one you would go to the record store to get an album. I don't know about you but she sounded really good especially on an Adele song " Set Fire to the Rain". I thought this was the clincher for sure until I hear her rendition of "Zheng Fu". Great! Really great indeed. When Shila sang the Mandarin song, you could see that the judges gave her a standing ovation and so did the crowd, man. As a Malaysian Chinese, I salute her for taking the courage to compete in the Chinese dominated music industry in China and WON! That's the best part of all! Truly a superstar!

She started out with the song "Gemilang" which was good and set the tone right for the competition. Then it got better and better. Really, I was really blown away by her performance. It is true though - our obnoxious, narrow minded, racist and mad leaders from our country should learn a thing or two from her about being proud as a Malaysian. Mind you, she sang all the songs with the major languages used in this country and she did it WELL enough! 

Throughout her performances , she was a true blue Malaysian Malay lady and I like what she does with her ways . The other performance which captivated me was the performance from Wan Ying , also a Malaysian singer, who wore the baju kebaya and sang a Datuk Siti Nurhalisa number namely " Bukan Cinta Biasa". That too was a great performance. Her grasp of the Malay language, pitch was perfect and intonation was faultless and really am proud of her too. She too received accolades for being a true Malaysian and the comments were very encouraging. I really believe she sang this song beautifully indeed coz' it is hard to do a Siti's number if you don't have the vocals to match it. All in all, these two ladies gave me the goose bumps tonight. Though it had been a tiring day for me, performances like these helped you chased the blues away. Certainly it did! Just great relaxation, awe for such talent and thank God , it is being used in a great manner! 

Come on, go ahead and check it out on YouTube. You'll be amazed just as I did! See, the grin will come to your face.......

No comments: