Monday, February 18, 2013

Stay Alive!....

Yesterday, as I got back to work, I was hoping to start the week with a good dose of positivism after a great dose of reality sermon by Pst.Tan YH on the pulpit on Sunday morning. The sermon was short and sweet, as usual, but an encouraging one as far as I was concerned. However, yesterday morning, I received news of the demise of one of my client's employee and what a way to start the day! Well, even though I did not know him that well, it was about 2 weeks ago when he attended our company's dinner function. I could still remember when I did my rounds at the tables for my PR work, I had a small talk session and drinks with him. He looked healthy and in cheery mood as usual. We laughed , we drank and we had fun with the rest of guests at his table. All the while, he was the happy-go-lucky one. Never knew that this would be last time I would see him alive. I was told that he died in his sleep probably with a sudden heart attack last Friday. I did not know his age nor his family that well. I guess, he was just a face to me or perhaps a client to me but I still feel down at the fact that people in our service-related industry are dropping like flies in the 6'X4' plot faster than anyone else.

It saddened me that sometimes we are our own greatest enemy when it comes to taking care of our health ( me included! ). I know that I should be exercising more, doing my walks more or even taking proper medication on time. I know too that eating right is important and so does sleeping and getting enough rest. I am not giving excuses when I say that sometimes, these are things that eluded us in our rat race and super quick world today. Everything is "quick-quick and doubly quick" these days that we sometimes forget where we are today! Like I said, this is not an excuse or blame shifting exercise but the fact remains that the demands of our work can be quite taxing while superiors are not actually angels either. But the fact remains that it has a lot to do with us. We have to take a conscientious effort to make that change in our lives if we want to live longer. We have to choose life over anything else in our lives. Easier said than done, right? Well, this is far better than landing in the soil pile at the cemetery plot, right?

So, let's make an effort to change of lifestyle and start LIVING , shall we? I know you think that dying in your sleep is the most glorious thing, right? Well, in certain sense, it is true but truly, you will be sorely missed by your loved ones in times like this. Well, it may sound cornish and morbid to speak of death during these "red" and auspicious days of CNY but everyone STILL gotta kick the bucket someday, right?. Happy LIVING and let's stay ALIVE for a little while longer, shall we?  

No comments: