Sunday, February 24, 2013

Sunday rant....


Chap Goh Mei signalled the 15th day of Chinese New Year and supposedly the beginning of many other days of goodies in store for the year. For me & SLing, it was just another day as far as we are concerned. As usual, on a Sunday morning, we got ourselves ready for church and we enjoyed the message presented by Elder Wong F.M. It wasn't a feel good message but a truly heartwarming message. I guess, that is what makes me enjoy the services at this place. I make no bones that I am recovering from years of hurts, pain in my heart, bitterness at times and a true empathy for others who had felt the same way as I do. So, please do excuse my reservation, , my crude ways or even my non-committal stand if you ever meet or speak to me at the corridors of the church. Generally , the years of "battles" had drawn me to my edge at times. Alas , all is not lost. Indeed, I feel very blessed knowing that I am slowly recovering from this little "battle" inside of me.  It is the true, honest and truly heartwarming messages that had helped me in more ways than the preachers would ever know. The message that is preached as it is AND from the heart reached me easily. That's why I have really enjoyed the messages that had been preached. In my humble opinion, that is so very important. I know , it is never easy for anyone to stand up there and preached the Word but sometimes in the midst of our presentation, pride & sin does get in the way, right? Somehow, I considered myself blessed to be able to grasp good Word message from these blessed vessels from CCC. 

I must confess and say that I experienced the warmth of a small church in CCC. Call me a skeptic if you want to or even lack of faith is believing the power of enlargement if you want to but the fact remains that as the organisation grows big, the fellowship dwindled and the warmth of fellowship slowly goes out the window. Hear me out before you sharpened your knives and axes to hurl at me. I must say that a small church makes us humbled and dependent on His strength. Many times, enthusiastic leaders want bigger church and bigger building but eventually, whether we are truthful to ourselves or not,  pride takes over and covers the shawl of mistakes, errors and mismanagement. How many have you seen and known have had this trouble? Come on, don't sweep things under the carpet! It makes a hefty bump of filth at the end of the day. I have always believed that the church of the Lord is the one that preaches the Word truthfully from the heart and built disciples so that the rest of the world could hear the message and tell of the goodness of the Lord. As I looked over and over the pages and poured my soul at the pages of the Bible,  kingdoms of splendour and majesty eventually fall from grace but the simple teachings of the Lord continues even to this day. Our calling is to worship the Lord, to reach out to the people and to tell the people to worship the Lord. The church is US ( you and I ) while the church building is only a place for us to gather. Even if 1,000 or 10,000 of us sits under some trees on a Sunday morning to hear the preacher preached the Word of the Lord, church IS already in service. The building - the BIG BLUE SKY! Let us be less obsessed with the buildings, leaders and be more conscious of the Word and our relationship with people. Someone once told me, "We all but walk on this earth only once - let's make it COUNT, shall we?   

No comments: