Sunday, October 25, 2009

A lesson or two...

I have always enjoyed watching TV reality shows and when the re-run of Hell's Kitchen UK made its re-run, I find it really enjoyable. You see, I didn't get to see the earlier episodes and so, I was looking forward for the early episode. Well, it indeed lived up to the title of the show! Hot,hot,hot, indeed! The good part is that there is no swearing unlike the show anchored by Gordon Ramsay but there is certainly blistering temper and volatility shown by reknown chef, Marco Pierre White. BTW, this is Season 3 show way back in 2007 and it certainly not too bad of a show. The cuisines were classic dishes and signature dishes of Marco Pierre White. He is definitely very fiery, sharp, focused but at the same time helpful. Call it arrogance or even pride, but he's very professional. He certainly lived up to his billing as a 3 Michelin stars chef which is a great tribute to him. This time, he works with celebrites and it was fun seeing the celebs practically enduring the hardship of running and serving good & qualities meals to the paying customers. Many times, our chefs forgets that we are the paying customers. Anyway, I am most impressed by Marco's leadership qualities. Yes, he is loud and sharp while offending him immediately spells "clear their table and no food for them" treatment. That's the message he sends - I give you the best , you enjoy it and don't complain!
I guess, I learned a thing a two when I see how he helped and handled the celebs during their amateurish effort in feeding the restaurant customers. That's leadership quality that we lacked in our society today. Yes, he has his cooking reputation at stake but what I like most is when he told them that he appreciates their respect and hopes that they would get their job done and he would helped them out. That's faith in action! He really did helped them out and get good food out to the customers. It is about getting the job done with your team! It is never an individual effort but a collective team effort. Yes, he is seen as a harsh and hard chef but he is always there to lend a helping hand. I think, that's very applicable. He is not afraid to eject people out of his restaurant especially those who has inflated egos and not appreciative of good cuisine while he also defends his team of cooks. That is what is important. Hanging out and standing by your chefs and cooks no matter what. Some may say that he's mad to do that but I think, he did right and just. I am sure the chefs will appreciate that , will learn from their mistakes and worked much harder. I can relate that when I see him doing what he does. Afterall, we all have a job to do. Let's do it well and good. But at the same time , we also need good leader to spearhead the team. A supportive, helpful but no nonsense leader is important while we do not need figureheads who talks and does nothing to help. The worst part is that these leaders pretend to look important and feel important while the team members suffer in silence and gets disorientated. Sounds familiar? Well, I leave it to your imagination.
I leave you with this inspiration from Marco Pierre White : - " I might be the harshest person they have ever met but I've got a heart just as big. It's about picking people up off the floor and inspiring them to want to carry on until the end!"

No comments: