Friday, March 19, 2010

Pure hospitality...

The other day, I was invited by one of my close friend and good colleague, Teo, to have lunch at his house. At first, I thought he was joking as at times like these, I thought the culture of inviting friends over for lunch is dead and buried. Anyway, he sounded serious and I readily agreed because it was a genuine invitation and I am all for good food and good fellowship. You see, Teo and I had been friends ever since we started working in our present "hazardous" occupation. Thank God, we are still having our jobs, anyway! Suffered mental anguish and numeorous heartaches but we still survived!
OK, so , the three of us namely Teo, Goh & myself travelled back to Teo's home to sample some nice home-cooked meals. It's nothing grand or extravagant but it's really nice. The cross mixture between curry and asam fish wet our palate and appetite while kangkong fried with garlic simply permeates the aroma of mouth-watering fare. We also had fried eggs and chicken which we bought from our friendly, Nam Wah Chicken Rice shop. The food spread was simple but nice. Really thank God for simple meals like this. We talked, ate and laughed. We enjoyed the simple meals under the sweltering heat and perspiration from the heat and the curry-assam mix. You see, Teo lived in a modestly renovated low cost house with basic facilities together with his ageing mother. Like I said, he doesn't own any fancy or flashy things - simple, modest and honest lifestyle. The best part is that this is one humble person and someone I can really relate to. He once said to me this : " When you have the least of things, it is the most of everything you have." That is living in humbleness.
In our ever changing and fast moving lifestyle today, I appreciate a lot at his gesture of lunch invitation. Again, it was not the food but that heart of sharing that moment of hospitality. His gesture of hospitality simply outstrips and ripped apart all the hoarding & selfish mentality we have in our society today. His life that day leaves a greater impression in my heart than all the preaching done on our Saturday/Sunday services!
When will we ever learn? When will we ever learn?

No comments: