Thursday, May 6, 2010

My Blessed Day!

Many times, I have often wondered if I had inspired anyone in life. Many times too I would like to believe I had made a difference in someone's life. But uptill today, I don't really know but I really care & thought of this a lot. I have often thought if my early years of teaching in Sabah had made a difference.
Today, I took the courage to be at a place where one of my students from Sabah who had been a teacher in a school nearby. I didn't really made any plans to visit but I was just driving back from my work outstation and since, her school was just along the way, I decided to make a stop over and that's what I did.
I searched for the school and after finding it. I parked my car along the road like any other parents and readied myself. I check my appearance and my clothing as I wanted to look......decent. Yup, that's the word. With grey hairs sprouting here and there, I took one look at the mirror again and just told myself, " Hey, handsome. You'll be fine!"...Yup, some form of confidence does help at times like this , right? As I walked into the school , I was met by this gruffy lady who asked me what was my visit all about. I told her that I wanted to see, Cikgu Cath. She looked at me for a long time and asked me what was my dealing with her. Honestly, I was kinda taken back by this show of "unpleasant welcome" but it was later that I learnt that the school had had some rather weird circumstances whereby parents in conflict had taken their child without permission from each other and caused quite a scene in school. So, I forgave her and came to understand of her dilema. Coming back to it, I told her that Cath was student and I would like to see her. Then her appearance and gruffiness changed and she flashed a smile. She asked me if I was really Cath's teacher. I answered that I was indeed her former teacher. She then went to the staff room and told Cath that someone wants to see her.
So, I readied myself and there came Cikgu Cath, my student! She practically screamed with joy when she saw me and she quickly came out to hug me. I was flattered beyond words and I told her to calm down. She just held on to my arms like a little happy child and she told me she was really surprised. She was in giggles and laughing her head off when seeing me. She tugged me into the teacher's room and introduced to me to her teachers that I was her teacher in school in Sabah. My God! I never felt so old in my life! Hahahahhahahaha..... I was just kidding. I was equally estatic and thrill to bits to see her. She then told me that I really surprised her and I replied that I have promised to look for her when I am in her area. So, there I was with one of the nicest student I had ever taught and we have not seen each other for the past 18 years. Gosh! She looked the same though she had put on some weight which is perfectly normal, just like I did but her face looked the same. Her sense of humour is still as infectious as when she was in school and I am really glad to see her. We then went to the canteen and I had my drinks. We talked and talked about what had happened in her life and how she had changed her life completely. As I listened to what she had to go through, I was in awe for the strength of this lady. She is happily married with 2 boys and I am really glad for her. We talked about the good ol' days and when her teachers came to the canteen , I was introduced as her teacher and I have never felt so honored in my life. The joy in my heart was tremendous and I really felt........blessed.
Yunno, Cath has always been a bright student, playful, humourous but a very focused school girl then. She was also one of the nicest student who could actually tease me in class eventhough she knew I was a very "garang" teacher. [ That's how she puts it ! ] I guess, she was the one who would smile at me eventhough I was mad at her or her class but somehow, I could never get angry with a smiley face like hers. Ah...the good times.
Anyway, after spending an hour catching up with one another, we had to leave coz' I had to get back to work while she had to send her children to tuition classes. Before leaving, I gave her a good hug and told her that I was very glad to see her and she told me that she was very happy too to see me. I wished her all the best in her endeavors and then we left. I felt happy and I am thankful that God made this a beautiful day for me and Cath!
So, Catherine Dickson Gabu, if you are reading this - You have made this old man, a very happy man, dearie! God bless you!~

2 comments:

ViveAlive said...

You are indeed a blessing my friend. Continue to be one. As Peter said, "Silver or gold I do not have, but what I have I give you....." We can always be a blessing to others with the life and anointing that God has bestowed on us.

A Pinch Of Salt said...

ViveAlive:
Thank for the encouragement, bro!