Sunday, February 12, 2012

Rolls of sweetness!

Yesterday evening after work, I decided to get creative and horned my baking skills. Earlier, I got myself some cinnamon roll recipes and I was just toying with the idea of getting creative with the rolls. I visualized the rolls and then I just get the ingredients. It wasn't hard and I believe, everyone should at least have a hand in baking as it would help lessen down the temper thermometer, stress level and ridiculous pricing around. Jokes aside, I really love biting into a cinnamon roll and the one in Rainforest Bakery, Penang gave me a lasting and unforgettable impression.

Anyway, I started out by mixing the dough and seeing the techniques performed by Jamie Oliver in his cooking programs really helped a lot. Yeah, I improvised and do what I can to get the mixing done nicely. Having a great helping hand in my daughter , SYuen helped a long way. After getting it all bunched up nicely in a roundish dough, it was time to rest it till it. I think, the greatest ingredient of all was the positivism to ensure that the dough would turn out great. A little prayer, a little bit of positivism and a lot of de-stressing hand work helps in ensuring the dough turned out great. 

Then it was time to lay out the filling comprised of brown sugar, cinnamon powder and raisins. I had a great workout in ensuring it was smoothly applied. With that in place, I started rolling the dough together with the filling and ensured that the sides were pressed in to ensure that they are in place. Then with the use of the fillet knife, I cut it to the right size and did some touch up. When the rolls were ready, they look fabulous. I learn one thing over the experience is that the food had to look good to ensure it is good to eat. After that, it was all a nervy anticipation on how it is going to turn out. As the first batch of rolls came out of the oven, I was thrilled. It came out nicely browned, fluffed up nicely and a delight to the eyes. I actually made tea to go with it and I was eager to let my wife have the first bite into the warm and nice roll. She made some comments as usual but it's all good. At least,something which I had visualised had materialised. That was more important for me. Now, I can mix match it with chocolates delight or even savoury delights.The important part was to get the dough right and once that's done, filling is what you want it to be. I am one happy dude! I am humbled by the fact that I still have a lot to do and a lot more to learn when it comes to baking and food making. 

What will I be doing next? I dunno, honestly but I've always liked croissants too! I could hear my wife saying "NO" as she reads my article over my shoulders as I am writing this! Well, she's just jealous of my "hidden" and "sunken" talent! Hahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaa..............

No comments: